1 Diamond Member
First Name: Tian
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N72RE
Airports: WSSL

Re: New DA62 owner but not PPL yet

Post by renewdoit »

TimS wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:58 pm @renewdoit

The advice was to pick up an SEL, it should only be a few hours of training and the check ride. The advice comes due to the incremental cost is rather small, and avoids a second significant cost if at some point you wish to fly a single.
In the US and Europe, the market has been trending away from twins to singles (mostly with chutes and/or turbines).

Good luck,

Tim

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely consider that.
renewdoit
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by renewdoit »

Steve wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:30 pm Tian:

Even though there are a small number of pilots who have done their initial training and received their initial pilot certificate in twins, I can't imagine that is the preferred route (even in your case, where you already own a twin). Even in the US Navy where aviators are advanced to flying jets off an aircraft carrier in 18-24 months of intensive, high tempo training - they start out in single engine, fixed wing aircraft.

I was already a Private pilot (SEL) when I went through Primary Flight training in the Navy, and it was to some degree like trying to drink from a firehose. There were two other guys in my class that were Private pilots, and we three had the best flight grades (expected), and struggled less than the others. I saved my FAM 1 (first flight) grading sheet because the instructor commented "Student flies better than instructor". Of course, that wasn't true, but I guarantee I wouldn't have been able to fly that complex, retractable, turbine aircraft (Beechcraft T34C) very well just jumping in without my prior experience.

One other point - I spent 23 years as a Navy Flight Surgeon, and investigated my share of aircraft accidents. Its not just the hours, its the years. Good luck with whatever route you pursue.
Thanks for sharing the experience! I know this is unusual, but the plan of going for MEL and then SEL primarily due to practical reasons. I will reconsider it.
renewdoit
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by renewdoit »

chili4way wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:38 pm Tian, I flew a Socata TB-9 with the Republic of Singapore Flying Club out of WSSL/Seletar when I lived in Singapore. I remember that the training airspace was pretty small and sandwiched between several military aerodromes and Changi. (I also recall the landing fees on each touch-and-go.) What you propose will undoubtedly be challenging for both you and your instructor.

Your thinking ahead to your FAA practical test got me wondering if bringing an FAA examiner to Singapore would be a possible solution, especially if others in that part of the world need FAA DPE services. The folks at WOA might have an idea. (I'm guessing you know them, and that's your DA62 featured in some of their website photos.)

And per Russ' suggestions above, I see WOA has a Redbird MCX simulator for getting started on your instrument work.

Good luck, and I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress.
Very fortunate to meet another pilot from Seletar airport. My instructor in WOA suggested this plan, and I have already done 20+ hours in that small training area that you recalled.

I have never heard from the experienced WOA members about the idea of bringing an examiner to Singapore, and I will check the possibility.

Thanks again for your kindness!
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

TimS wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 pm I met a student pilot from Europe years ago. He found it was cheaper to come to the USA for a series of intensive/dedicated flying trips to complete his training than do it in Europe. If I recall correctly, he came over for three weeks stints for to get his PPL then IR. The MEL add-on was a one week trip.

Tim
Only if he owned/planned to fly N-reg aircraft. And even then he had to obtain EASA IR for FAA IR is not credited at all, since few years ago. Flying N-reg is now pretty complicated stuff to do in Europe if you're starting from zero. And it will be more and more complicated due to lack of N-reg instructors, examiners, AMEs... If you want to fly any EASA-reg aircraft, practically the only option is to be trained in EASA-land.

I don't know the situation in Asia-based pilot but I guess it's easier to come to US and complete the training there.