DA62 road landing in Dallas, Texas

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: DA62 road landing in Dallas, Texas

Post by Boatguy »

Obviously we all want to understand what happened with the wiring.

In any case, this exonerates the pilot and he should be applauded for handling a difficult situation at 1,500' AGL without harm to anyone in the plane or on the ground.
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Post by tjmoody »

Boatguy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:08 pm In any case, this exonerates the pilot and he should be applauded for handling a difficult situation at 1,500' AGL without harm to anyone in the plane or on the ground.
That is a good reminder, Russ. This must have been a shocking event for the pilot but it sounds like it was handled very well.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

In a total electrical failure, wouldn’t the props auto feather? According to the pictures, none of them did, which is really bad.

No flaps of course. Gear, only by gravity.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

WOW! I'm appreciating my simple IO-360 mags even more. As an engineer and long-time semiconductor executive, I LOVE technology. But sometimes the KISS principle works. How in the world could so many redundant systems in such a wonderful aircraft fail at such a critical point in the mission? Thank God they weren't IMC.
Reminds me of the Sioux City -DC10 crash where half the passengers actually survived due to the superhuman efforts of the flight crew. Fan disc in center engine 2 failed, sending shrapnel through ALL 3 hydraulic systems. There was nothing in the emergency procedures as it was thought to be an impossible event. Yet the pilots figured out how to partially control an aircraft with no ailerons, rudder, or elevator by only using differential thrust.
Wonder what lessons Diamond will take from this event. Hope it's not an expensive AD for current owners.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

There's a wonderful book about Sioux City by Laurence Gonzalez (acrobatic pilot, journalist).

https://www.amazon.com/Flight-232-Story-Disaster-Survival-ebook/dp/B00FQUDSFS/
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
SkymanIL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eran
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: 4XD
Airports: LLHA

Post by SkymanIL »

In the spirit of open communications between Diamond and the owners, can we ask Diamond or its distributors to comment on this incident? After all, losing an engine or two to an electrical problem is not different or even worst than losing it to a blown piston. Diamond is already being criticized in pilot forums for failing to have a fail-safe design in place. Is this the case or is it only a technician induced problem? And if it is a design issue, is there a plan to fix this in the near future?
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I do not know how you could design something that would survive that sort of maintenance failure. I am very aware that my mechanic could kill me (and my passengers) anytime he felt like it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

SkymanIL wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:12 pm In the spirit of open communications between Diamond and the owners, can we ask Diamond or its distributors to comment on this incident? After all, losing an engine or two to an electrical problem is not different or even worst than losing it to a blown piston. Diamond is already being criticized in pilot forums for failing to have a fail-safe design in place. Is this the case or is it only a technician induced problem? And if it is a design issue, is there a plan to fix this in the near future?
You can absolutely ask. Please do so and report back here.
RookieFlyer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ken
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NIL
Airports: NZAR

Post by RookieFlyer »

SkymanIL wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:12 pm In the spirit of open communications between Diamond and the owners, can we ask Diamond or its distributors to comment on this incident? After all, losing an engine or two to an electrical problem is not different or even worst than losing it to a blown piston. Diamond is already being criticized in pilot forums for failing to have a fail-safe design in place. Is this the case or is it only a technician induced problem? And if it is a design issue, is there a plan to fix this in the near future?

I see in the interim report, under "Additional Participating Persons", is a representative from the 'Transportation Safety Board of Canada', and another from the 'Austrian Federal Safety Investigation Authority' in Vienna. That suggests that both of Diamond's DA62 factories are involved in the investigation. We await with interest... :tap:
SkymanIL
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Eran
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: 4XD
Airports: LLHA

Post by SkymanIL »

Colin wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:21 am I do not know how you could design something that would survive that sort of maintenance failure. I am very aware that my mechanic could kill me (and my passengers) anytime he felt like it.
I agree that a technician can kill us. But... I will be happy to get some visual indication of such an electrical problem. Perhaps there was an indication which we don't know about. I am not about bashing Diamond. I love the aircraft. Just curious.

And sent Diamond a question and will update if I hear anything.