1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: DA
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: B9126
Airports: GYU

Re: New MSB about to be issued

Post by steden »

It takes 900 hours to replace pistons (p/n E4A-72-400-000) ,now it is just MM update to add this requirement, I do not know whether it is related to MSB-E4-039.
NAGartinez
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Lizette
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N865PS
Airports: KORL

Post by NAGartinez »

Hey everyone, just curious, has anyone already had their pistons replaced as part of the warranty? Or does the AD have to come out first?
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

NAGartinez wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:10 am Hey everyone, just curious, has anyone already had their pistons replaced as part of the warranty? Or does the AD have to come out first?
The MSP applies now. But, for the moment at least, the response to an out of spec metals (AL) count is replacement of the engine core, not replacement of pistons.
Irmchen
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Carina
Aircraft Registration: DEOCR
Airports: EDXJ

Post by Irmchen »

HI i´m new here from Germany

I legally accepted my new DA40NG in July 2022 and picked it up from Diamond Industries in Wiener Neustadt in August 2022. There was no mention of the piston problems, although the problems were known and it was likely that I would take delivery of a new aircraft with a faulty engine.
I am now being charged with this service bulletin during my 2 year warranty period.
With an oil analysis, there is always uncertainty as to whether the aircraft is affected and will be grounded.
Permanent additional cost to fly every 50 hours for maintenance.
The depreciation of the aircraft. …
Who has the same destiny as me? Who hired a lawyer? What does he say?
Is there positive news from others who have a similar starting point as me?
... And: Does anyone know since when the piston problems are internal known to DI´s?
That has to be much earlier than Oktober 2022.

Please write me a personal message.
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

Irmchen wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:27 pm HI i´m new here from Germany

I legally accepted my new DA40NG in July 2022 and picked it up from Diamond Industries in Wiener Neustadt in August 2022. There was no mention of the piston problems, although the problems were known and it was likely that I would take delivery of a new aircraft with a faulty engine.
I am now being charged with this service bulletin during my 2 year warranty period.
With an oil analysis, there is always uncertainty as to whether the aircraft is affected and will be grounded.
Permanent additional cost to fly every 50 hours for maintenance.
The depreciation of the aircraft. …
Who has the same destiny as me? Who hired a lawyer? What does he say?
Is there positive news from others who have a similar starting point as me?
... And: Does anyone know since when the piston problems are internal known to DI´s?
That has to be much earlier than Oktober 2022.

Please write me a personal message.
My situation is a little different, since I have a 62 and took delivery two months earlier than you: for twins, the oil analysis interval remains 100hr.

Notwithstanding that we Americans are generally viewed as excessively litigious, allow me argue a less confrontational position. In my opinion, Diamond/Austro’s response to the MSB has been undertaken in good faith, and is about as good as an owner could hope for. Austro has been proactively building and shipping engine cores for operators whose engines are nearing or have already passed the MSB time-in-service limits; they have been generous with their labor allowances so the facilities performing the core swaps (or piston swaps, once those kits start shipping) won’t lose money; as more operators approach the limits they will continue pushing out kits in advance; and with a few exceptions for high-time engines this is all happening at no out-of-pocket cost to owners, without regard to warranty status. Unofficially, I have heard that only a handful of engines with time-in-service under the MSB limits (i.e., fewer than five) have failed oil analysis, and that Austro has confidence that other affected engines will reach the MSB limits without problems, and that after complying with the MSB affected engines will be good for the full 1800hr TBR.

This doesn’t address your “what did they know, and when did they know it” questions, but that aside, what more could you ask? It’s in our interest as owners that DAI remains viable and continues to produce and support our engines/aircraft into the future. Recovering from the issues that led to the MSB is already an ‘all hands on deck’, existential threat to DAI. Resale values would surely be more adversely affected if DAI were to go out of business under additional financial pressure from legal actions.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

Very well said Steve. While it may seem DA40-180, DA20, etc owners need not be concerned, all of our planes' values would be dramatically impacted as well if this problem buried Diamond.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

I was wondering if anyone else has (recently) had to have cylinders replaced. Seems like the chatter on this has slowed down a lot (which is good!).
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

nworthin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:52 pm I was wondering if anyone else has (recently) had to have cylinders replaced. Seems like the chatter on this has slowed down a lot (which is good!).
Not that I've heard. My DA62 came through its annual last month at 170 hours total time and both engines tested OK.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

My 2021 40NG is (so far) testing negative in the 50hr sample regime. 310hrs Tach Time.
gcampbe2
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: CGKMA
Airports: CYOW

Post by gcampbe2 »

My DA40 is currently in London Ontario having the pistons replaced as part of its annual. Current engine time is 245 Hrs. Oil sample tested at 3 ppm aluminum. So, below the 8 ppm limit, but that 3 ppm is with only about 50 hours since the last oil change. For reference, the oil change at 195 hours came back at 2 ppm (that oil had a full 100 hours on it).

I assume that, had I put a full 100 hours on the oil, it would have been at least 6 ppm, and likely more since the problem appears to be getting worse quickly.

For reference, piston replacement took about 25 days, start to finish.