4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Re: Advise on New DA40 XLT Configuration

Post by dant »

Regarding AC, I've never flown with it, but my plane conveniently came with JetShades, which _significantly_ helps the heat. Highly recommend. They are in the process of switching to a newer film, so I might wait for that depending on PIREPs.

The big limitation of 40g is IFR alternate distances where you're not actually planning to flying the range but need it in your pocket. Leaning for max econ per the POH (which happens to align with how you lean to LOP) helps a lot here, you can get down to ~8 gph depending on your altitude which gives you 5 hours of cruise.

The big limitation for 50g is the rear CG which would mean my wife and toddler couldn't both be in the back seat, removing a primary goal of ownership.

I'm not sure what the current MT prop specs are but having max continuous of 2700 on the hartzell is very nice for climbs. I believe it's a bigger blade though if you care about flying out of unimproved surfaces.
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N168
Airports: KEMT

Post by pete423 »

Thank you to everyone who offered your experience and advises. It is much easier to make decision based on actual people's experiences than on paper.

So out of the original toss up options, these are settled.

GDL 69A SXM
SEAMECH AC - Per Lifestyle Diamond doesn't offer it anymore on 2023 XLT Models.
ELECTRICAL PEDALS

Last toss up is still the biggest one.

Standard Prop with 50 Gallon Tank $10500 - OK CG, More Range
Hartzell Composite Prop with Standard Tank $11000 Better CG when carrying two adult and two children, ok range.

They cost the same so money is not the issue, I would like to do more trip as a family as I have young children, so I am leaning on the later. I will contact Diamond to see if I can get the CG with the two combos on the current XLT so I can do some calculations. Unless someone has already done it. :)
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Definitely try to get some real W&B numbers for a recent XLT so you can run the numbers yourself.

Young children tend to turn into not-so-young children, so the useful load and CG limits will likely become bigger factors over time. That might push you towards the composite prop and standard tanks. The latter might bite you in resale value later, but if you get to use it over a longer period of time it may be worth it.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

I also have the 40 gallon tanks, which are adequate for my 2-3 hour flights. If you chose the 40 gallon option, there is an Optional Service Bulletin that outlines the procedure for changing them to 50 gallon tanks -- http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... 10-3-O.pdf Therefore, it appears they could be added later if needed. Installation is estimated at 120 hours, however.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

pete423 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:16 pm Standard Prop with 50 Gallon Tank $10500 - OK CG, More Range
Hartzell Composite Prop with Standard Tank $11000 Better CG when carrying two adult and two children, ok range.
Which is considered the "standard prop" these days?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by pete423 »

Rich wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:40 pm
pete423 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:16 pm Standard Prop with 50 Gallon Tank $10500 - OK CG, More Range
The Hartzell Aluminum Prop is the standard prop. The two optional are MT 3 Scimitar Blade and Hartzell 2 Scimitar Blade Composite.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

pete423 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:45 pm
Rich wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:40 pm
The Hartzell Aluminum Prop is the standard prop. The two optional are MT 3 Scimitar Blade and Hartzell 2 Scimitar Blade Composite.
Good to know. Therefore, all else being equal, the "Hartzell Composite Prop with Standard Tank" should be 25-ish lb. lighter. The Al prop is 16 lb. heavier than both other prop options and the hardware for the additional fuel capacity also adds some weight.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

I co-owned an earlier DA-40 with the three bladed MT and a later one with the Hartzell wide chord composite. The Hartzell was a more durable prop operating off our grass strip. The wide chords provided a lot more drag when desired to slow down. It is a true composite prop (carbon fiber and Kevlar with nickel leading edge). Our MT had a wood core. There are more Hartzell repair facilities than for MT. Some MT repairs required shipping the prop overseas, although that may have changed.

I was so impressed with the Hartzell that I used that same prop on our experimental RV-7 and the three blade version on our RV-10. It is a fabulous prop.
ZAV
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryan
Aircraft Registration: N387DS
Airports: KLEX

Post by ZAV »

I love the look, durability, smoothness, and performance of the Hartzell. I’ve flown them all and specifically sought out a Hartzell when purchasing my plane.

I probably would prefer the 40 gallon tanks but have the 50. The 50g tank helped me plan a few longer IFR legs given the reserve needed but that’s about it.

You should be able to get a real w/b sheet from an XLT and just do a bunch of scenarios. If you can do 80-90% of what you think you want to do then I would consider that a success.

I also have AC…love the cool air, hate the useful load hit. My main mission is just me or one other person so I’ve mostly enjoyed being cool flying around the southeast during the summer but did have to drive once this summer because I couldn’t get me and two adult size teenagers with needed equipment to be within w/b. I could’ve made it work without the a/c useful load hit.

As mentioned, kids grow. I can’t fly with two adults and my two teenagers in the back anymore. Just think about those things as you run your scenarios and realize the DA40 isn’t really a family plane for long trips.
pete423
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by pete423 »

Good to know. Therefore, all else being equal, the "Hartzell Composite Prop with Standard Tank" should be 25-ish lb. lighter. The Al prop is 16 lb. heavier than both other prop options and the hardware for the additional fuel capacity also adds some weight.
Diamond didn't add a weight penalty for the extended range tank on the order sheet, so I am not sure how much that weighs. According to all the data I can find. My useful load should be

Max 2646
Actual Empty Weight 1754 (Empty 1746 + GFC700 +24 Hartzell Composite Prop -16)
Fuel 240

652 Useful Load with about 3 hours of Fuel and IFR reserve.