ADS-B traffic disuse/misuse

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

ADS-B traffic disuse/misuse

Post by Rich »

Between May 2021 and September 2022 we've seen 3 midairs in ADS-B mandate airspace - specifically Mode C/ADS-B veils in the Denver and Las Vegas areas. One was non-fatal (lucky + CAPS) the other two were. All in CAVU conditions.

In press reporting of the most recent incident, it was stated that neither aircraft was required to have collision alert equipment aboard. The knee-jerk reaction is "Hay - that's wrong! Typical press". But take a moment's thought and you realize that this is technically correct, as neither ADS-B IN or any other electronic collision alert equipment is required anywhere for them or most of the rest of us.

The reports on these events are still preliminary and don't contain any mention of a role ADS-B might have in these situations. There are other factors in these collisions. Most obviously, two of them involved poor piloting on the part of one aircraft crew during simultaneous approaches to parallel runways. But I know in cases like this FF would be loudly nagging me about traffic conflicts making me super active trying to pick up the traffic visually. When this happens and I can't pick it up (airplane parts in the way, e.g.) I've been known to take radical action to get away from that yellow or red triangle.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: ADS-B traffic disuse/misuse

Post by mfdutra »

The Sonex in Denver did not have ADS-B out. It was illegal there.