Where to order an aftermarket canopy / windshield ?

Looking to purchase Diamond-related parts, equipment, or bling? Post your requests here. For non-commercial use only.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Igor
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports:

Where to order an aftermarket canopy / windshield ?

Post by 177 »

A mishap happened a few days ago at my local airfield. DA20's canopy is severely cracked and unrepairable. Do you know any specialized workshops in Europe that produce custom acrylic canopies (plexiglass is a commercial brand name of some sort of transparent plastic/polymer I think)? Buying a new one from factory is my last choice due to grossly overpriced cost.

Thanks!
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Where to order an aftermarket canopy / windshield ?

Post by Lance Murray »

unfortunately I believe your only choice is Diamond.
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by 177 »

Lance Murray wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:43 am unfortunately I believe your only choice is Diamond.
I can hardly believe so. Yesterday, when I've been searching for a donor on the internet, I've seen a folk from Australia with a Super Dimona HK36 who have successfully replaced his cracked canopy with a help of a custom workshop in Australia. I'm just wondering how people who fly on rare aircraft models deal with this type of problem. It's not uncommon and everybody could face it sooner or later. Even on this forum I saw a message from somebody who suggested to find a glider repair shop.

viewtopic.php?p=90258#p90258
A friend of mine found a company in Florida that makes aircraft canopies, they were able to make him a custom canopy based on a drawing with dimensions. It came out looking good. I recall it was fairly cheap. Any glider repair shop who does a lot of composite work should be able to do the job.
A new windshield from the factory is extremely pricey 💰 There're also several companies in the U.S. that specialize in production of acrylic/plastic products (LP Aero, Great Lakes, Cee bailey), but I think they don't do anything for a Diamond. I've also emailed them and waiting for their reply.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

I can only speak about USA FAA regulations. There are ways for an owner to recreate/replicate a part but you will need exact materials and engineering drawings. Aside from that you would need a form 337 with approval from your FAA FSDO. Many classic aircraft are operating under experimental or Restricted categories.

While not impossible I assure you that the process is very cumbersome and negates the benefits. If you are insured then a claim is likely your best avenue.

Since you are in Europe perhaps someone with EASA knowledge and experience can chime in.
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports:

Post by Lance Murray »

One thing you may do.

Do you have all the pieces of the glass? Can they be reassembled so an acrylic blower can get the shape correct? If so call one of these companies directly.

I have used this company for an experimental. They are very nice people and very professional. Give them a call. https://www.aircraftwindshield.com
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
Airports:

Post by 177 »

I've got a couple answers from U.S. companies who are ready to make a custom canopy, but they need your broken part in order to reproduce it.

The 1st one is aircraftwindshield.com & the 2nd one is bellplastics.com . There's also a 3rd one (D&D Plastics), but they're capable only of making small windows. LP Aero didn't reply, but I think they're also able to make custom acrylic parts.

The problem is that I'm located in Europe. Maybe some of you know any workshops in the EU, that have an ability to solve this issue? I thought there was an option to buy an aftermarket windshield in the US, but those companies mainly focused on American airplane manufactures and they don't have any drawings or broken windows of a Diamond.
Skywayman
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: JONATHAN
Aircraft Type: DA40D
Aircraft Registration: UUV
Airports: YBLT

Post by Skywayman »

These people may be able to help

https://www.mecaplex.ch/en/transparencies/aviation.html

Not sure it will be any cheaper than going straight to Diamond though.