2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Roger
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N224PG
Airports: KCVG

Brand New DA42 - Thank you Vladimir

Post by RDGUSLLC »

Thanks to the Russians! This plane was supposed to go to Russia however when they invaded the Ukraine, Diamond cancelled several orders. When my salesman asked if I wanted to purchase the newly opened manufacturing position, I jumped at the chance. This is my fifth new plane. I have bought a Cessna 182, Cirrus SR22, TBM 850, Meridian 600 and now a Diamond DA42 (down sizing). I have also owned a Cessna 337 and a Cessna 206. I think she looks pretty good.
IMG_2814.jpeg

Despite some wrangling over the Astro engine MSB, we got the deal done. FADEC, reclining seats, lumbar support and great view, there is a lot to like about this aircraft.
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Re: Brand New DA42 - Thank you Vladimir

Post by arksat »

Congrats on your brand new DA42! Stunning color scheme!

I'm curious about what brought you to downsizing from Cirrus, TBM, M600?
RDGUSLLC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Roger
Aircraft Registration: N224PG
Airports: KCVG

Post by RDGUSLLC »

Several reasons to downsize #1. I used the 600 and TBM for work mostly and needed to get there. I don’t have the sense of urgency I used to have. #2. The cost to fly and maintain those planes is much higher than the DA42. I hardly ever used the 6 seats. #3. The DA42 is fun to fly, great visibility #4. I am getting older. It’s hard to get insured in a turbine.

I do miss the benefits of a cabin class aircraft, the speed and of course the pressurization. However, at 28,000 feet you miss a lot of scenery too. The DA42 brings me back to the reason it started flying in the first place, the joy of it.
DiamondRob
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: GWARZ
Airports: EGTE

Post by DiamondRob »

RDGUSLLC wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:55 am Several reasons to downsize #1. I used the 600 and TBM for work mostly and needed to get there. I don’t have the sense of urgency I used to have. #2. The cost to fly and maintain those planes is much higher than the DA42. I hardly ever used the 6 seats. #3. The DA42 is fun to fly, great visibility #4. I am getting older. It’s hard to get insured in a turbine.

I do miss the benefits of a cabin class aircraft, the speed and of course the pressurization. However, at 28,000 feet you miss a lot of scenery too. The DA42 brings me back to the reason it started flying in the first place, the joy of it.
The red paint looks smart and eye catching on white.
Interesting comments re: the other aircraft - and contgrats on the purchase!
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

RDGUSLLC wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:55 am Several reasons to downsize #1. I used the 600 and TBM for work mostly and needed to get there. I don’t have the sense of urgency I used to have. #2. The cost to fly and maintain those planes is much higher than the DA42. I hardly ever used the 6 seats. #3. The DA42 is fun to fly, great visibility #4. I am getting older. It’s hard to get insured in a turbine.

Congrats on your DA42! Even though I just went in the opposite direction -- from a Diamond twin to a pressurized single-engine turboprop Epic E1000 GX -- I agree with every one of your points. Sounds like you made a great decision.

In our case, the "mission" changed: We live on the US east coast and need to visit family and friends who live out west. It simply takes too long to get there in a Diamond (having done it multiple times), and weather has forced us to turn around or abort a trip.

As an example, we once flew our DA62 westbound from VA (Washington, DC area) to Carbondale, IL for an AOPA fly-in, with a plan afterwards to continue westbound to visit our daughter in Albuquerque, NM for the big annual balloon festival. But there was no way to get to Albuquerque without penetrating a major frontal system with thunderstorms -- extending from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to Canada. If we waited for the frontal system to pass before flying the DA62 to Albuquerque, we'd miss the festival.

So we reluctantly flew our DA62 from IL back home eastbound to the VA/DC area, and took United airline flights from Washington Dulles to Albuquerque by way of a connection in San Francisco. And made it to the balloon festival in time.

In contrast, we recently flew a trip to San Diego and an Epic Aircraft owner's fly-in in Bend, OR. On our way back home to the DC/VA area we crossed above a north-south line of thunderstorms (at FL330) that would have blocked our way in the DA62. It also took us only 6 hours of flight time with a single fuel stop.

Flying a Diamond is definitely more fun than being stuck up high above the clouds on autopilot (autopilot is required in RVSM airspace), and it's far less expensive -- but I'm "livin' the dream" of flying a turbine and mixing it up with the airliners. I figure I'll be able to do this for only a few years before advancing age and insurance force me to sell the plane. In which case I'll probably go back to flying a Diamond...for the joy of it.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
KJH
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Registration: NANA
Airports: LESU

Post by KJH »

Hoping to get back involved once I get my medical, I lost mine in 2001, but now, hopefully getting it back, looking at what aircraft to buy. An ideal combination would be DA 62 and Piaggio P.180 Avanti. I love flying around Europe at FL80, looking at the views in VFR, but for getting above bad weather, the P.180 FL410 capability would be very helpful.
Buckeye
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Galen
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N198TS
Airports: KEDJ

Post by Buckeye »

I see this aircraft is for sale? Did you trade back up?
Nikandsteve
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: nikol
Aircraft Registration: N317SP
Airports: L36

Post by Nikandsteve »

Currently in contract to buy this plane. Very excited. Lots of questions. Any recommendations for PreBuy? It’s currently at FXE w/Premier for the SB/AD issues. (Oversize pistons) Essentially will be like new with just 50 hours. Also wondering why @rdgusllc is selling.
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Post by FlyingPenguin »

https://premieraircraftsales.com/index. ... -vi-n224pg

Looks like this Twin needs a new home again. Back up for sale.
Nikandsteve
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: nikol
Aircraft Registration: N317SP
Airports: L36

Post by Nikandsteve »

She is on the market! Perfect plane but our son was hired to fly a Pilatus and got enough twin/retractable time to get insured in SF50 so in contract for that. In like new condition with all the bells and whistles!