DA62 - the greatest GA aircraft ever built?

Any DA62 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Re: DA62 - the greatest GA aircraft ever built?

Post by Soareyes »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:33 am At either 55% or 35%, that means there is never a "check gear" warning. So the "check gear" only occurs during OEI training. Kinda annoying and not very useful in routine flying.
Landing flaps with the gear up will trigger a warning.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I live with the "check gear" warning all the time in my M600; if the torque drops below 40 I believe, Betty starts singing. Which is common when ATC brings me down late on a "dive bomb" descent to an instrument approach fix. Like the 62, I can easily descend very quickly and very stable in the M600 but it requires idle or near-idle on the torque. Upshot - I don't mind the gear warning but I agree it could get annoying during extended OEI practice...
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

mfdutra wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:48 amMinimum altitude select 1200 AGL, which makes it pretty much illegal to fly a circle approach on the AP (the level phase), which is the standard procedure in most serious flight schools.
I don't think it's saying that you can't fly a circle approach with the AP engaged.

The AFM says: "Altitude select captures below 1200 feet AGL are prohibited." (which I suspect is to avoid CFIT by autopilot). The DA62 G1000 NXi Pilot's Guide defines the ALTS annunciator as "Altitude Select, Selected Altitude Capture Mode". So I interpret the AFM use of "captures" as meaning that if you were landing at KPAO (7' ASL), you shouldn't set the altitude select to less than 1,300'.

WRT to using the AP for a circling approach, we know that on any approach with vertical guidance the AP will fly the plane right into the runway if there is no intervention, and flying coupled to minimums is very common. So I don't read this limitation as saying that if you were flying the RNAV 31 at KPAO (assuming LNAV+V on NXi) coupled to the AP, that when you reach the 460' MDA, you couldn't hit the ALT key to level out and hold altitude until you reached the MAP at GIDGY, or fly the circle.
Last edited by Boatguy on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

My interpretation is different than yours. I’m not saying I’m right, because it’s somewhat vaguely written, probably by a lawyer.