5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

DA62 dimensions

Post by Boatguy »

I got a new t-style hangar which is 50' wide and should leave about 1' of clearance on each wing tip for the DA62. But I'm a little worried about the depth of the T top. The AFM has the overall length, and the wheelbase both athwartship and fore/aft, but not the dimension I need.

Does anybody know the dimension from the trailing edge of the wing, to either the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizer, or the tip of the nose cone?

Thanks!
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Re: DA62 dimensions

Post by Ed McDonald »

I looked in the AFM, the maintenance manual and the presentations for the DA42/62 maintenance course and did not find a thing. Short of physically measuring it, the following diagram looks like a scale diagram that you can use to take the measurements (https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/priv ... ech-specs/.

My hangar door is 52 ft wide, providing 2 ft clearance on either side. Getting the aircraft in and out of the hangar is the most stressful thing about flying the aircraft. Perhaps is the length of my tow bar but the geometry (short coupling) of the tow bar to the wheel and the center of turn for the aircraft makes getting it through the doorway a challenge - I have never been able to do it on the first try. My experience is small corrections on the mule as they manifest themselves as large changes in the direction of the aircraft. Also, don't be target fixated on the nose of the aircraft but watch where the tailing is going.

Good luck!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Those are the same dimensions as in the AFM, but as you suggest I can scale it and get pretty close.

The hangar for my 40NG is 40', with a wingspan of 38' 2", so a little less than 1' clearance on each tip. As you suggest it's important to focus on the tail. I have a vertical stripe painted on the end of the hangar (courtesy of a prior tenant), white stripe on the floor for the nose wheel, and parking stops (from Griot's Garage) for the MLG. Key for me is that I also have two marks about 4' outside the hangar for the MLG. If I have the MLG on those marks, tail on the vertical line, before the wingtips reach the doors, then I can confidently push back until the MLG hits the stops. And I agree that this is often the most stressful part of a flight!

With about the same clearance for the DA62, I'm expecting to use pretty much the same drill.
ultraturtle
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rob
Aircraft Registration: N62KZ
Airports: KAAF

Post by ultraturtle »

I've found dimensions scaled from this drawing to be accurate within 1/4" or so. Hope it helps:
Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 10.04.02 PM.png
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

Thank you!
johnscim1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N620EZ
Airports:

Post by johnscim1 »

Planning to receive a DA62 in a few months and in the middle of preparing a new hangar and taxiway build. There is one spot on the taxi path that I’m slightly concerned about clearance - does anyone happen to have handy the height off ground of the wing at tip vs midwing? I couldn’t find it in any of the online documentation.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

You can sort of scale it off the dimensions in the AFM, attached here. It sounds like you're concerned about having the wing clear over the top of some obstacle which could be problematic if your taxi track strays a bit one day, the wind tips the plane a bit, etc. It's a lot of wing to taxi and depth perception from the left seat can be misleading. It took me awhile and learning to use NG steering, differential braking and differential power to steer the plane in different situations.

That said, I will be at my hangar on Tuesday and will be happy to measure at a few specific points if you'll let me now exactly what dimensions you need at which points.
Attachments
DA62 dimensions.pdf
(661.01 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
johnscim1
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N620EZ
Airports:

Post by johnscim1 »

If you're able to grab the height at the tip before it curls up and a mid-wing point that would be really helpful. And, agree will want to leave enough buffer to account for wind, tire pressure, flex from taxiway bumps, etc. Thank you so much for the help
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

johnscim1 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:07 pm If you're able to grab the height at the tip before it curls up and a mid-wing point that would be really helpful. And, agree will want to leave enough buffer to account for wind, tire pressure, flex from taxiway bumps, etc. Thank you so much for the help
Tie down ring at tip: 49"
Aileron hinge: 44"
Flap hinge: 36"
Attachments
IMG_5941.JPG