ChatGPT

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

ChatGPT

Post by dmloftus »

Test driving the online resource getting so much press. Typed in a few basic questions and it returns quite sensible responses, very well-formatted compared to thousands of Google hits. The tool is conversational. You can type in a question, it will give a response. You can then ask it follow up questions to get more detail or get related information. A few DA40 examples (DAN removes the formatting, which is much more readable online):

Question: How do I maximize fuel consumption and performance on a Diamond DA40 aircraft with a Lycoming engine?
Answer: To maximize fuel consumption and performance on a Diamond DA40 aircraft with a Lycoming engine, you can follow these general tips:

Lean the fuel mixture: The Diamond DA40 with a Lycoming engine typically runs best with a fuel-air mixture that is slightly lean of peak. This means that you should adjust the mixture so that the engine is running smoothly, but with the fuel mixture set slightly leaner than the highest RPM point. A good rule of thumb is to lean the mixture until you see a drop in RPM, then enrich the mixture just enough to recover the lost RPM.

Monitor engine temperatures: Keep an eye on the engine temperatures, especially cylinder head temperature (CHT) and exhaust gas temperature (EGT). Overheating can damage the engine and decrease performance, so ensure that the engine stays within the recommended temperature ranges.

Maintain proper airspeed and altitude: The Diamond DA40 performs best at a cruise airspeed of around 120 knots and an altitude of around 8,000 to 10,000 feet. Flying at this speed and altitude will provide optimal performance and fuel efficiency.

Minimize weight: Keep the aircraft as light as possible. Remove unnecessary items from the aircraft and keep fuel loads to a minimum. Extra weight decreases performance and increases fuel consumption.

Use the proper engine oil: Use the recommended engine oil for the Lycoming engine. The correct oil can help reduce engine wear and improve performance.

Keep the aircraft clean: A clean aircraft has less drag and better performance, so keep the exterior of the aircraft free from dirt and debris.

Practice efficient takeoff and landing techniques: Proper takeoff and landing techniques can help reduce fuel consumption and maximize performance. Use the recommended takeoff and landing procedures for the aircraft, and avoid unnecessary or excessive use of power during these phases of flight.

It's important to note that every aircraft and every flight is unique, so you should always consult the aircraft manual and follow the guidance of a certified flight instructor to ensure safe and optimal performance.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: What limits should I follow for CHT?
ANSWER: The recommended cylinder head temperature (CHT) limits for a Lycoming engine can vary depending on the specific engine model and the operating conditions. However, as a general guideline, most Lycoming engine manufacturers recommend maintaining CHTs below 400°F during normal cruise conditions and below 460°F during takeoff and climb operations.

It's important to note that exceeding these recommended CHT limits can cause thermal stress and premature wear on the engine's internal components, such as pistons and valves. Excessive CHTs can also lead to detonation and pre-ignition, which can cause engine damage or failure.

To ensure that CHTs remain within the recommended limits, you should monitor them closely during all phases of flight, especially during takeoff and climb when CHTs are typically at their highest. You can do this by monitoring the CHT gauge on the aircraft instrument panel or using an engine monitoring system.

If you find that your CHTs are consistently exceeding the recommended limits, you should consult with a certified aircraft mechanic or Lycoming engine representative to diagnose and address the issue. Possible causes of high CHTs can include improper fuel-air mixture, inadequate cooling airflow, or worn internal engine components.
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Re: ChatGPT

Post by dmloftus »

Another example:

QUESTION: As a private pilot of a small singe engine aircraft, how do I best plan for an instrument flight into possible icing conditions?

CHATGPT'S ANSWER: Flying in icing conditions can be very dangerous and requires careful planning and preparation. As a private pilot of a small single-engine aircraft, here are some steps you can take to best plan for an instrument flight into possible icing conditions:

Check the weather forecast: Before your flight, make sure to check the weather forecast for your route, paying particular attention to any potential for icing. You can obtain current icing forecasts and SIGMETs from Flight Service or by using a service like ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot. If icing conditions are forecast, you may want to consider delaying your flight or modifying your route.

Review your aircraft's icing certification: Make sure you know your aircraft's limitations for operation in icing conditions, and ensure that your aircraft is properly equipped and certified for flight into known icing conditions (FIKI). If your aircraft is not FIKI certified, do not attempt to fly in icing conditions.

Plan your route: When planning your route, consider flying at a higher altitude to avoid potential icing conditions. If possible, avoid flying through areas where icing conditions are forecast. Make sure to review available NOTAMs to ensure that any icing-related NOTAMs are accounted for in your planning.

Check your equipment: Ensure that your aircraft's de-icing and anti-icing systems are functioning properly before your flight. Check your pitot-static system, and ensure that your aircraft's icing sensors are calibrated and functioning properly.

Review your emergency procedures: Make sure you know your aircraft's emergency procedures in the event of icing, including how to activate de-icing and anti-icing systems, how to recognize and recover from a stall or spin, and how to divert to an alternate airport if necessary.

File an IFR flight plan: Filing an IFR flight plan will provide you with additional guidance and support from air traffic control, who can help you avoid areas of potential icing and provide you with updates on current conditions.

Get a weather briefing: Before your flight, obtain a thorough weather briefing from Flight Service or an online provider like ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot. Make sure to ask specifically about any potential for icing, and be prepared to modify your flight plan or delay your flight if necessary.

Stay alert and vigilant: If you do encounter icing conditions during your flight, stay alert and vigilant, and be prepared to activate your aircraft's de-icing and anti-icing systems as necessary. Maintain airspeed and avoid abrupt control inputs, and be prepared to divert to an alternate airport if necessary.

In summary, planning for an instrument flight into possible icing conditions requires careful attention to weather, aircraft limitations, emergency procedures, and route planning. Always prioritize safety and be prepared to modify or delay your flight if necessary to avoid icing conditions.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Interesting. In general I find ChatGPT to be nothing more than a bullshit generator. However, in this particular case it's clear that the training corpus included well articulated answers that it was able to regurgitate back to you.

I wonder what would happen if you started asking more esoteric questions about specific scenarios. Perhaps digging deeper into icing, or about particular engine issues. There is certainly a wide body of available information across the internet. I've posted about nearly every issue I've encountered with my plane on this forum. But it's going to run out of answers at some point and start spewing bullshit. I'd be interested to see that!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

How can Diamond Aircraft reduce the time it takes for Transport Canada to certify G1000NXi firmware that has already been approved by the FAA for other aircraft?

If Diamond Aircraft's G1000NXi firmware has already been approved by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for other aircraft, it may be possible to expedite the certification process with Transport Canada. Here are some suggestions:

Provide FAA approval documentation: Diamond Aircraft should provide Transport Canada with all relevant documentation and data related to the FAA certification of the G1000NXi firmware. This can include test results, reports, and other relevant information. This will help Transport Canada to review the data more efficiently and expedite the certification process

Highlight similarities between the aircraft: Diamond Aircraft can highlight any similarities between the aircraft models that may help expedite the certification process. This can include the same or similar avionics systems, airframe, or engines. By demonstrating that the certified firmware is being used in a similar environment, Diamond Aircraft may be able to expedite the approval process.

Work with a qualified design approval organization (DAO): Diamond Aircraft can work with a Transport Canada-recognized Design Approval Organization (DAO) to facilitate the certification process. DAOs have experience working with Transport Canada, and can help navigate the certification process to help ensure that everything is done efficiently and accurately.

Be prepared to address any differences: Even though the firmware has been approved by the FAA, there may still be differences in the way the firmware is used or implemented on different aircraft models. Diamond Aircraft should be prepared to address any potential differences, and work with Transport Canada to address them in a timely manner.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Thanks for the good laugh.
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

I think it was a little bit of a BS generator for me just now...

Question:

Code: Select all

How many gallons are in the inner, middle, and outer chamber of the main wing tanks on a DA62? Not the total, 
their individual capacities...
Answer:

Code: Select all

According to the Diamond Aircraft website, the DA62 has a total fuel capacity of 235 US gallons (890 liters) 
distributed between four wing tanks: two inner tanks and two outer tanks. The inner tanks are located closer to 
the fuselage, while the  outer tanks are located closer to the wingtips.

The specific capacities of the individual wing tanks are not provided by Diamond Aircraft on their website or in their 
published specifications. However, according to an aviation forum post by a DA62 owner, the approximate individual
capacities of each of the four tanks are:

Inner left tank: 38 US gallons
Inner right tank: 38 US gallons
Outer left tank: 78 US gallons
Outer right tank: 81 US gallons

It's important to note that these capacities may vary depending on factors such as temperature, altitude, and the 
specific model and configuration of the DA62. Additionally, fuel capacities should always be verified with the
aircraft's official documentation and confirmed during pre-flight checks.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Wow! A good lesson on why AI is not quite ready for prime time. It did not cross check that answer.
KJH
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kevin
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NANA
Airports: LESU

Post by KJH »

Kind of scary, but I'm studying for my ME-IR theory exams at the moment, so in a moment of boredom, I put 5 questions from the ATPL Air Law question bank in. ChatGPT didn't like the multi-choice format but gave the correct answers in its written explanation. Will the CAA allow it ChatGPT to sit my exams for me? 😂😂. I choose airlaw as it's basically an exercise in regurgitating documents, next I'll try it on some Flight Planning calculations, if it gets those right all the time, it's better than me! 😒
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

No different than an open-book test, except that AI can read the book faster...

You definitely don't want it diagnosing and treating your medical problems...