2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: n473DS
Airports: 1b9

Da40-ng in Massachusetts or RI?

Post by QuickOne »

Hello Diamond Aviators,
I'm doing as much research on the late model da-40s and am caught in between the NG and XLT dilemma.
Our mission for the owners will be IFR ratings, $100 hamburgers for 1-4 people with 95% of the flights requiring a stop in 3 hours or less.
We're located in MA and the highest altitude we'll have to worry about is the green and white mountains at 5k'.

I love the NGs fuel efficiency, engine control convenience and I assume the noise and smoothness which I have yet to see and hear.

Which leads me to my request. Does anyone near 1B9 (Mansfield, Ma) fly this aircraft? If so, please let me know.

On to the counterpoint:
Lycoming mechanics and parts are notoriously easier to find wherever we may go.
The lighter Lycoming is better for C.G. and useable load.
Maybe less acquisition cost and less maintenance cost.
Avgas is comparable or less expensive than jet A around us.

Any one with a late model XLT with the g1000nxi Avionics in the area?

Thanks for any input.

QuickOne
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Da40-ng in Massachusetts or RI?

Post by michael.g.miller »

Hey Brian,

I own a DA42NG (2006 converted to Austro). I live pretty far away (in San Juan, PR), but find myself up in the NE on a decent cadence. If I'm in the area, happy to give you a tour / go for a flight. I'm flying around the world now, but should be back in the States in April/May.

Some input off the bat:

- I've had a lot of mechanical trouble with my DA42NG's Austro engines.. had to shut down an engine inflight on more than one occasion. I personally would not recommend a single diesel. It's a complex engine with lots of moving parts with single points of failure (gearbox, coolant, turbocharger, etc.). A single O-ring can cause an engine failure.. not as simple as the old Lycosaurus engines. Losing your Turbo means a reduction to 35% power at Sea Level, not like the Lycs which will keep most power without the Turbo.

- The benefits of diesel are fantastic. No hot starts, can use off-the-shelf automotive engine oil from Amazon. Can buy standard car oil / fuel filters. Single power lever awesome, no need to worry about destroying your engine. And once you see the "hidden" JET-A prices from CAA, you'll wonder why anyone would buy AvGas!

- If you go down the diesel route, I'd consider an engine dongle required equipment. These are around $900 (and you have to convince a service center to sell you one...), but let you download engine codes and data yourself. VERY useful in an AOG situation. Most mechanics can work on the engines, as they're glorified MB diesels. But if you don't know what's wrong ("ECU FAIL A" is not a lot of info..), it's much harder.

Happy to jump on a call to chat more in depth, just shoot me a PM.

- Mike
QuickOne
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by QuickOne »

Hello Mike,
I've read your posts and appreciate your expertise. So you're coming from the Da-42 I take it? I'm leaning towards a Lycoming at this point, but as a low time pilot, looking to get IFR certified among with another partner, the simplified controls and low fuel burn is very enticing. The reliability seems to be the most glaring issue.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Yep, a DA42 in my case - had an SR22 before that. My DA42 has virtually the same engine as the DA40NG (both Austro, just some moved around components to fit in the cowling).

There are tradeoffs going Lycoming vs. Austro. Both have their issues and quirks. For my own aircraft, I like either a parachute or a second engine. But if a DA40 was the only option, I'd probably lean towards the Lycoming, unless a mission dictated the diesel. For example: flying around the world, it's almost impossible to get Avgas at less than $2k per barrel (where available), but JET can be had for $4-5/gal in most of the world (even paid $3/gal in Sri Lanka).
bertlava
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bert
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N413BL
Airports: KORH

Post by bertlava »

Hi All - I have a 2019 DA40ng based out of KORH that I purchased used in October 2022 from Blueline. I have about 100 hours in it so far - a combination of instrument training (checkride soon) and VFR work travel. I did my PPL in a steam gauge PA28 that hadn't been upgraded since it rolled off the line in 1976. Needless to say this was a major upgrade.

I flew a g1000 gas version (N323JT) out of KOWD through East Coast Aero club for about 10 hours of transition training before I purchased the NG. The Lycoming engine is somewhat lighter and the plane sits a little lower. It likes to float a little more if you are a few knots fast on final, and didn't handle turbulence as well in my opinion. Have to say I love the diesel - the 6.6gph at 75% cruise is extremely economical, no mixture or prop lever simplifies workload, and the engine starts as easy as any modern car. G1000nxi is real nice for IFR. With wheel pants on I typically see IAS right at 130 at 75% cruise, with TAS obviously depending on altitude. I have seen high 140s on occasion at 12,500 which is usually as high as I care to go (not wanting to deal with oxygen).

There is a service bulletin on certain Austro engines that is worth reading through - plenty of information on this forum about it. My engine is in group 3, about 600 hours since new. Through one mandated oil analysis so far its aluminum levels show no cause for concern - I also have the data at every 100 hours since new, and it has held very steady at 3ppm.

Bottom line - I recommend the ng over the XLS version. Happy to show you the plane sometime - shoot me a message.
QuickOne
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by QuickOne »

Sent a pm Bertlava. Thanks for the input and looking forward to connecting.
QuickOne
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by QuickOne »

bertlava wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:10 pm Hi All - I have a 2019 DA40ng based out of KORH that I purchased used in October 2022 from Blueline. I have about 100 hours in it so far - a combination of instrument training (checkride soon) and VFR work travel. I did my PPL in a steam gauge PA28 that hadn't been upgraded since it rolled off the line in 1976. Needless to say this was a major upgrade.

I flew a g1000 gas version (N323JT) out of KOWD through East Coast Aero club for about 10 hours of transition training before I purchased the NG. The Lycoming engine is somewhat lighter and the plane sits a little lower. It likes to float a little more if you are a few knots fast on final, and didn't handle turbulence as well in my opinion. Have to say I love the diesel - the 6.6gph at 75% cruise is extremely economical, no mixture or prop lever simplifies workload, and the engine starts as easy as any modern car. G1000nxi is real nice for IFR. With wheel pants on I typically see IAS right at 130 at 75% cruise, with TAS obviously depending on altitude. I have seen high 140s on occasion at 12,500 which is usually as high as I care to go (not wanting to deal with oxygen).

There is a service bulletin on certain Austro engines that is worth reading through - plenty of information on this forum about it. My engine is in group 3, about 600 hours since new. Through one mandated oil analysis so far its aluminum levels show no cause for concern - I also have the data at every 100 hours since new, and it has held very steady at 3ppm.

Bottom line - I recommend the ng over the XLS version. Happy to show you the plane sometime - shoot me a message.
If you can pm me, I'm unable to pm due to a post limit. Or I can send you my email.