3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bryce
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N6KB
Airports: KRTS

Re: Best Place for initial training

Post by Bryce »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:07 am It sounds like you want transition training, not an ME rating. I did my ME rating at Angel City in a DA62, but I wouldn't recommend them for transition training.

You can get quality transition training at Hayward, CA from John Ewing. He's a CFI, DPE, and literally wrote the book on the DA62 (https://www.eastbaydpe.com). Check Apple Books, and probably also the Android/Google equivalent.

You can rent this DA62 in Hayward and hire John to provide instruction. https://flybigblue.com

There may well be other instructors and aircraft closer to your home.
In order to rent from flybigblue, they require you to be named as an additional insured on the policy. They said the last low time multi person needing that came at a cost of almost $9k. They suggested renting from Angel Cuty Flyers since the DA62 there is on a fleet insurance policy allowing for instruction.
N6KB DA62 Q3-2023. Now April 2024.
N524HS BE G36 2007 (Sold)
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Bryce wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:20 pm
Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:07 am It sounds like you want transition training, not an ME rating. I did my ME rating at Angel City in a DA62, but I wouldn't recommend them for transition training.

You can get quality transition training at Hayward, CA from John Ewing. He's a CFI, DPE, and literally wrote the book on the DA62 (https://www.eastbaydpe.com). Check Apple Books, and probably also the Android/Google equivalent.

You can rent this DA62 in Hayward and hire John to provide instruction. https://flybigblue.com

In order to rent from flybigblue, they require you to be named as an additional insured on the policy. They said the last low time multi person needing that came at a cost of almost $9k. They suggested renting from Angel Cuty Flyers since the DA62 there is on a fleet insurance policy allowing for instruction.
I believe the OP has 20,000+hrs of multi time, he's looking for DA62 transition training.

John Ewing is also based at Hayward and I'd be surprised if he does not have some relationship with the Big Blue owners and could even be a named insured.

Instructor turnover at Angel City is pretty high. I'm not sure that it would be great DA62 transition training.
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Bryce »

Boatguy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:15 pm
Bryce wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:20 pm

I believe the OP has 20,000+hrs of multi time, he's looking for DA62 transition training.

John Ewing is also based at Hayward and I'd be surprised if he does not have some relationship with the Big Blue owners and could even be a named insured.

Instructor turnover at Angel City is pretty high. I'm not sure that it would be great DA62 transition training.
Would you recommend Angel City Flyers for getting my multi rating? Or have another option out west?

Thanks,
Bryce
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

The last two people I sent toward Angel City did not have a good experience, which saddened me. They also had Ewing as their chief pilot for a little while and let him escape, which I consider a bad decision. I don't know what they could have done to keep him, but they should have done it.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
Bryce
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by Bryce »

Thanks for that. Maybe I need to keep searching. I could always wait until delivery and have my local CFI/DPE to my training, but I'd like to get the rating completed beforehand.
N605CA DA40 2008 (Sold)
KRTS - Reno Stead
Deanrobert
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dean
Aircraft Registration: N801VA
Airports: SPI

Post by Deanrobert »

Skill aviation Waukegan - good guys; did my 42 and 62 training
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Well, I had absolutely no issue training at Angel City Flyers on the DA62 for my IR(A) rating and I travelled all the way from Germany. Likewise, I carried out my MEP Rating and DA62 Systems Training at DAI Wiener Neustadt in Austria which I would highly recommend.

Congratulations on your pending delivery!
mike215611
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Micahel
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Nbuying
Airports: KORL

Post by mike215611 »

Contact Patrick Able at My Flight in Central Florida. They have a DA62 doing transition training. Come to Orlando, visit Disney, and get training.
Zebedee
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jim
Aircraft Registration: N316JZ
Airports: KPOV KPGD

Post by Zebedee »

Thanks Mike, sounds like it might be the best pre-delivery option.

As far as Disney goes, I wont be able to make the final payment on the plane if we spend the day there. :)
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Zebedee wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:48 pm Thanks Mike, sounds like it might be the best pre-delivery option.

As far as Disney goes, I wont be able to make the final payment on the plane if we spend the day there. :)
I was just there for a 3 day "vacation" and the most seen T-shirt said "Most Expensive Day Ever!"

Love the place and live nearby but they are pushing the limits...