Atlantic Crossing in a Diamond DA62

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Felix
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Felix
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N99YY
Airports: EDMA

Atlantic Crossing in a Diamond DA62

Post by Felix »

We just yesterday released a documentary on our Atlantic crossing with our DA62 from Munich (Germany) via Scotland, Iceland, Greenland, Canada to Miami and the Bahamas.

It was the trip of a lifetime and what was supposed to be a documentary for our family & friends turned into a full produced Youtube documentary series. This happens when you take a good friend along the trip, who is a professional videographer :)

We just released the first episode last Sunday and every Sunday an episode will be added over the next weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/@theatlanticexpedition

It's in German, but you can turn on "subtitles" and set it to "automatically translate to English" :)

We did the crossing just a year ago, last February. Of course harsh weather conditions with partially -35, -40C cold weather. The DA62 performed flawlessly, albeit of course on the edge of the cold operating envelope. What a marvelous airplane, which carried us safely over ice cold oceans and day and night polar landscapes.

On the following episodes you will see some quite cool landscape videography, as well as some exciting happenings over the ocean and during our trip.

Happy to share all insights and learnings with the diamond community, in case any of you are interested in taking this journey yourself. There are a thousand reasons not to do it, and as always, "the time is not right" - but I can only advise: If possible, just do it :) It was one of the most exciting adventures in my life. We hope that the pictures and videos of our documentary will also bring you joy and inspiration.

Best greetings from Munich, Germany,

Felix
Last edited by Felix on Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Re: Atlantic Crossing in a Diamond DA62

Post by Donkadillapig »

Felix, thank you so much. This is high on my bucket list once I finally have a 62 in my life. I'm an English ex-pat living in the US and can think of nothing sweeter in the world than "going home" in my own airplane. I will be following your journey with great interest.
tjmoody
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Trevor
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N62DL
Airports: KRNT

Post by tjmoody »

Looks amazing ... I've Subscribed!
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Post by thommy152 »

Subscribed! Can’t wait to watch tonight.
2000 C182S (N882SP) / 2023 DA-62 (N271CF).
Commercial ASEL, AMEL, CFI.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I made this trip across the Atlantic 10 years ago in my brand-new DA42-VI (with an experienced Diamond ferry pilot), and I agree that it was "a trip of a lifetime."

If anyone is considering this for their new Diamond twin, it might be possible for a new DA42-VI, since all 42s are still built in Austria. But most of the DA62s for US customers are now built by Diamond Canada; only a small fraction of US customer DA62s are still coming from Austria to help meet strong North American demand. So you might have to work something out with your salesperson if you really want to ferry an Austrian-built DA62 across the Atlantic -- which could further delay your delivery beyond the 2 years that many people are now waiting for a new DA62.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI