3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Shutting up the gear warning while OEI

Post by nworthin »

I followed CFIDave’s recommendation on determining the proper power setting to actually simulate a proper critical engine failure when feathered (it’s between 11 and 12%). I use 11% to practice flying in the event that one day I lose one.

However, below 20%, the DA62 issues warning chimes and verbal warnings. I thought that pulling the “Gear Warning” circuit breaker would silence these but that only affects the warning chimes. I still get the verbal spoken “Gear” warning. Does anyone know how to shut this off?

(And, before any one warns me of the dangers of silencing the gear warnings, I put a sticky note on my iPad as a reminder before I do this kind of practice. Besides, just how do you land a DA62 gear up? I would not know how to slow it down without the gear hanging out! That one of the beauties of the design.)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Shutting up the gear warning while OEI

Post by Boatguy »

I think the "Check Gear" announcement is from the G1000. It's the same voice as traffic, terrain and other announcements. It can probably be disabled by changing the configuration setting in the G1000. That can be done, but it's not as simple as just throwing a switch and probably not practical for a practice session.

If you're trying to simulate the engine fully feathered, you could just shut it down. Above 23˚F you have 10min to restart the engine. Of course you wouldn't want to do that to practice an OEI instrument approach. ;)
photoSteveZ
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N62DZ
Airports: KEIK Erie CO

Post by photoSteveZ »

nworthin wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:31 am I followed CFIDave’s recommendation on determining the proper power setting to actually simulate a proper critical engine failure when feathered (it’s between 11 and 12%). I use 11% to practice flying in the event that one day I lose one.

However, below 20%, the DA62 issues warning chimes and verbal warnings. I thought that pulling the “Gear Warning” circuit breaker would silence these but that only affects the warning chimes. I still get the verbal spoken “Gear” warning. Does anyone know how to shut this off?

(And, before any one warns me of the dangers of silencing the gear warnings, I put a sticky note on my iPad as a reminder before I do this kind of practice. Besides, just how do you land a DA62 gear up? I would not know how to slow it down without the gear hanging out! That one of the beauties of the design.)
At the altitudes I feel comfortable using here in Colorado to practice OEI techniques, the gear warning horn comes on at 40% load and going all the way to idle on the thrust lever leaves me at 15%-20% load.
nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

Post by nworthin »

Boatguy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:13 am If you're trying to simulate the engine fully feathered, you could just shut it down. Above 23˚F you have 10min to restart the engine. Of course you wouldn't want to do that to practice an OEI instrument approach. ;)
I've shut the (left) engine down twice. First, to experience OEI flight. The second time to determine which power setting simulates the same performance as left engine caged and feathered.

I'm wary about doing this routinely given Diamond's history of:

1. First authorizing windmill restarts (and then retracting this option)
2. Only authorizing restarts at very low indicated airspeeds (I realize this is to prevent windmilling but still)
3. The prevalence of early required replacement torque dampeners

Makes me think this part of the engine/gearbox/prop system is a bit fragile.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

I was under the impression from reading I did during my transition training that the audible “CHECK GEAR” cannot be disabled in the 62 for some reason. It would be good to get that confirmed…

And yes the restart airspeed is very low in my opinion …
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

nworthin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:37 pm I've shut the (left) engine down twice. First, to experience OEI flight. The second time to determine which power setting simulates the same performance as left engine caged and feathered.

I'm wary about doing this routinely given Diamond's history of:

1. First authorizing windmill restarts (and then retracting this option)
2. Only authorizing restarts at very low indicated airspeeds (I realize this is to prevent windmilling but still)
3. The prevalence of early required replacement torque dampeners

Makes me think this part of the engine/gearbox/prop system is a bit fragile.
I was at a DSC last week with three DA62 that all had governor issues. One engine was on its fourth governor.
janders
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jon
Aircraft Registration: N75RZ
Airports: KGYY

Post by janders »

The previous owner of N157DA never shutdown the engine in flight and neither have I... I've also heard of too many gearbox and governor issues. I'll do this on a training aircraft and not the one I use to fly my family with.
Current E50P owner
Former C172 and DA62 owner
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

I wonder how much of these governor issues are induced by the pilot, especially by rapid power changes. The POH specifically says to avoid that. Some people jam the power levers up and down. That's brutal on the prop and governor.

I take a deliberate good 3 seconds to apply takeoff power.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Boatguy »

mfdutra wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:31 pm I wonder how much of these governor issues are induced by the pilot, especially by rapid power changes. The POH specifically says to avoid that. Some people jam the power levers up and down. That's brutal on the prop and governor.

I take a deliberate good 3 seconds to apply takeoff power.
That's a very good observation. I know the instruction and instructors for my ME in a DA62 did not emphasize smooth power changes.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Yes, I agree it’s not worth the risk to shut it down… very easy to get a windmilling restart and the required speed is VERY low.