Paper for AFM Updates?

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Paper for AFM Updates?

Post by dmloftus »

Does anyone know of a source for a standard paper for printing out AFM updates? Diamond gives us the following instructions with each AFM update:

Instructions:
- Print this document on 8.5 x 11 inch yellow paper (single-sided), centered in the
landscape orientation. This will print the document 8.5 inches high by 11 inches
wide.
- Cut the sheets to make the document 6 inches wide by trimming each side
proportionally.
- Punch the holes on the left side of each sheet.
- Insert this cover page as the first page of the AFM.
- Insert pages in front of the corresponiding page of the AFM.​

I can't believe every aircraft owner is manually trimming and punching paper for every AFM/POH update. Would appreciate anyone with a source for properly sized and punched paper.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: Paper for AFM Updates?

Post by Rich »

Maybe A5 paper? A4 is easy to come by and my printer handles A(whatever) standard but haven't had occasion to chase down A5.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

David, sadly yes, it's an arts & crafts session each time I do this.

I print the pages as described on yellow paper from Office Depot. I cut it to size with a paper trimmer. Finally, I use a manual paper punch to get the holes in the right places (using another sheet as a template).

Since I also have a scanned PDF version of my AFM, I do it twice -- so the version in my iPad (EFB) is also updated.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

chili4way wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:14 am David, sadly yes, it's an arts & crafts session each time I do this.
Elec[*]ronic
I print the pages as described on yellow paper from Office Depot. I cut it to size with a paper trimmer. Finally, I use a manual paper punch to get the holes in the right places (using another sheet as a template).
Same here. Not only do I have to do the updates this way, but also AFM Supplements for the various new equipment I have installed (CO detector, ELT, etc.). I also keep the KLN-94 Quick Guide in there.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

We gave up on this paper chase years ago.

Since Diamond is one of the few airframe manufacturers that makes all of its AFM files available online for free, you can download the AFM file -- along with supplements and revisions -- onto your iPad.
http://support.diamond-air.at/techpubs+ ... 73ab0.html

Since these AFM files don't include your aircraft-specific weight and balance info, also keep the original binder with (un-updated) paper AFM in the plane to remain legal (i.e., for ARROW).

This is no different from what most pilots have done with their approach charts (anybody still update pages into Jepp binders?) and sectionals. Virtually everyone has gone electronic, with iPad "electronic flight bags."

For rapid access to emergency procedures, you can print out and carry Diamond's latest checklists -- with files also available for free from Diamond's website. These checklist files are small enough that you can just print an entirely new copy rather than replace individual paper pages that may have changed.
https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/serv ... hecklists/

(These printable checklist files have the same contents as Diamond's electronic checklist files supported by newer G1000/NXi flight decks.)
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Another alternative is to go completely digital and not have to carry the paper AFM in the plane. The OP has a DA40 so it's only necessary to scan the new pages as they are released and add them into the AFM PDF from Diamond.

Unfortunately Diamond has "secured" the PDF of the AFM for some aircraft, so they cannot be edited. The work around is to scan the entire original paper AFM (using a service), with your aircraft specific pages, then scan and insert the updates as needed.

A benefit of going all digital is that 1) you can full text index the entire AFM which is helpful in finding specific items, and 2) you can add your own bookmarks for quicker access.

This is all a bit laughable since at least for my 40NG, the aircraft specific pages in the paper AFM were riddled with errors.

FWIW, I also digitized my maintenance logs. When new additions are made I scan (with my iPhone) the page and insert/replace as necessary. All my paper stays at home, but I always have the complete records with me in the plane.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Boatguy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pmFWIW, I also digitized my maintenance logs. When new additions are made I scan (with my iPhone) the page and insert/replace as necessary. All my paper stays at home, but I always have the complete records with me in the plane.
I did this as well, keep a DVD with all the logs, plus the AMM and Parts manual (in a CD envelope in the POH) in the airplane.
smoss
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
Airports: KVGT

Post by smoss »

I really like the idea of removing my crumbling AFM from the plane, and as stated above, it seems perfectly fine to have a digital version of the AFM along with scanned copies of all the airplane specific pages. My question is... would it be better to have the latest AFM version, which incorporates many of the temporary revision pages that are in mine, and just add the W&B, installed items, etc., or have the original version electronically, with all the old temporary revisions scanned in as well? The downside of having the newest one is that it includes lots of stuff for many of the optional modifications that I don't have, like the emergency hammer, canopy jettison, etc.
Steve
DA40 XL
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Post by VickersPilot »

I am 100% digital.