3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Thoughts after 1 year of owning a DA40NG

Post by alanhawse »

I just got my DA40NG back from its first annual ... i had been planning on doing a 1 year comment on the plane... and In light of the manatee post by almost the same name. Here it is.

The plane was delivered March 1, 2022.

I flew about 450 Hobbes hours since that time. The plane is remarkable and has been great to fly. Since then I completed my instrument and commercial rating.... and Im ready for a CFI checkride. I flew to every airport in Kentucky In addition I flew to 11 other states. It has enabled me to spend time with my college son (who is at UAH)... and my wife and I have flown to several weekend vacations including from the Florida Keys to Mackinac island.

On the Diamond problem side I had
1. A coolant leak (because of a crappy OEM hose clamp)
2. Another random coolant burp problem (solved by 1oz of fluid)
3. My engine needs replacing ... or whatever ... due to the Austro problem
4. The headliner won't stay up and has required insanity of double sided tape fixes multiple times
5. The PFD had a stuck button and had to be replaced
6. The stupid plastic strip on the wing peeled up multiple times and on both sides
7. A software problem caused the load gauge to flash yellow x
8. There is a bit of oil leaking around the turbo
9. The air pressure valve stems are stupid
10. The electronic checklist documentation sucks

I think that the fit and finish of 40NG from Canada does not meet the high bar of the $$s. Im hoping my Austrian plane will be better.

On the I caused side of things
1. I hit the wing on the t-hanger and put a chip in the winglet
2. An unnamed person broke the front wheel fairing on the tug
3. I burned up a set of tires + 1 another front tire
5. The PFD connector wiggled loose and which caused me to do an emergency landing (because the alternator "stopped" working (it didnt but the Garmin thought that it had)

I spent:
100 $1885.23
200 : $5147
300 $4451
PFD problem $882
Tires and brakes $2433
Annual (which was 200+100+annual) $8163

If you would like to see the invoices Id be happy to share.

Yes... those numbers are not small. But all of them were same day service except the annual. I flew there. Spearman put 4-6 A&Ps on the plane... then I flew home in the afternoon.

My original insurance for 2 students and 1 private was $20.7K ... which was re-done to 12.6 with 1 student + me

I think that I spend about $120/hour to fly the thing (not including any capital cost)

Lifestyle aviation has been really good to work with. I bitched when I hit about 11 months because of one of those problems... they thought I was being unreasonable when I said "I have only flown 400 hours in the last 11 months"

Diamond sucks hard at customer service. Like they suck as hard as the drivers license people. Maybe they don't suck... they just dont communicate at all. I will say the way they handled the engine FU is good and they did a good job communicating. Hopefully the fix is as good as the communication.

All and all it the 40NG is one of the best GA planes ever made so I put up with it the issues.

I ordered a DA50RG which Im hoping will be here this summer...

Alan
QuickOne
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Brian
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: n473DS
Airports: 1b9

Re: Thoughts after 1 year of owning a DA40NG

Post by QuickOne »

Thanks for reporting your feedback Alan. Figured going with a new plane, you wouldn't have much for maintenance in the first 500 hours, but obviously not an accurate assumption. Are you looking to sell the NG once your 50RG arrives?
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

QuickOne wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:29 pm Thanks for reporting your feedback Alan. Figured going with a new plane, you wouldn't have much for maintenance in the first 500 hours, but obviously not an accurate assumption. Are you looking to sell the NG once your 50RG arrives?
I am following the Diamond service manual exactly... so a bunch of fluid changes... and a bunch of inspections at the 100/200/300/400/annual....

I think that I will keep both at least for a while

Alan
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

I've purchased five planes new from the factory. In every case there was a shake-out period, especially the first year, to get things fixed, dialed in and set right. Then mostly good for years afterward.

Now that you have your 40NG perfected for the next owner you can start the process over again with your new DA50. Joking but serious.
:roll: ;)
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Soareyes wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:20 pm I've purchased five planes new from the factory. In every case there was a shake-out period, especially the first year, to get things fixed, dialed in and set right. Then mostly good for years afterward.
I had the same experience. Diamond's approach seems to be to push the plane out the door and then fix it later. They shift responsibility for quality from manufacturing to service/support.
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Alan: Thanks for your Pirep. I've owned a 2019 DA40 NG now for 3 years and while I love flying the plane, I'm thinking of selling it. I keep it in Driggs, Idaho - a long way from a Diamond service center. While I've avoided the engine issues, I'm always worried that an MSB will ground me. Just not sure what to replace it with. Summer DAs will challenge a SR20 G6. Maybe an SR22? DA40 XLT?
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

I just realized one error. The Annual was actually $6945.
Fixing the wheel fairing was $854
Fixing the headliner was $112
Fixing the seal on the wing was $252
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

ScottOHare wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:32 pm Summer DAs will challenge a SR20 G6. Maybe an SR22? DA40 XLT?
There are a bunch of Cirrus S222 people that are more than a little bit pissed off about the Continental recall. There are ~1000? of those engines in the recall and it is apparently 6 month waits to get them fixed. I talked to a shop who said that they have done three inspections and all three of the engines were faulty... like fall out of the sky faulty

And I have heard that the STC's turbos have ton's of problems.

And the damn things burn avgas like it is going out of style.

And those people are going to have to deal with the avgas going leadless problems

But... that didnt stop me from thinking really hard about an SR22T instead of the DA50. In the end all of the other things about the DA50 ...safety, comfort, jet-a made me decide DA50

But, yes. Im quite sure that factory serial number less than 50 on a brand new DA50RG is going to be a suck experience for a while

Alan
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

2019 da40 NG. Purchased in October with about 30 tach time. Now about 80. Zero problems to date except for low coolant light that blinks whenever it feels like it. But temperatures are always ok. Getting annual next week and having usb ports installed as well as battery minder. Gambling on local non-Diamond shop in Griffin GA. I’m supplying all the parts/oil to expedite work so the shop does not have to order them. I bought the Diamond part number parts from Premier in TX and they were super easy to deal with. Stay tuned.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:04 am 2019 da40 NG. Purchased in October with about 30 tach time. Now about 80. Zero problems to date except for low coolant light that blinks whenever it feels like it. But temperatures are always ok. Getting annual next week and having usb ports installed as well as battery minder. Gambling on local non-Diamond shop in Griffin GA. I’m supplying all the parts/oil to expedite work so the shop does not have to order them. I bought the Diamond part number parts from Premier in TX and they were super easy to deal with. Stay tuned.
Beware of a non-Austro trained shop. A recurring cause of DA40NG engine "failures" is tied to incorrectly reconnecting the induction system after removal for work on the gearbox. There are multiple cases where the induction system tube comes detached, 10-25hrs after a service, causing a loss of turbo boost and perceived engine failure, though probably more likely "just" a drop to maybe 30-40% at full throttle.

It's not clear to me how you evaluate the risk/reward of that "gamble".