G1000 NXi database updates (I must be stupid)

Any DA62 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

nworthin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Norm
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N190AS
Airports: KSRQ

G1000 NXi database updates (I must be stupid)

Post by nworthin »

I can't figure out how database updates actually work. I have the Jepp subscription and the Flight Stream SD card.

What I want to do is:

1. Leave the Flight Stream card in the plane (lower slot).
2. Leave the flight data card in the plane (upper slot).
3. Update a compatible SD card at home.
4. Load the updated data to the Garmin G1000 NXi and then remove this card and replace the original card(s).

I can't seem to find the sequence of operations involving shuffling of the cards and sequence of recycling of avionics that reliably makes this work.

I've tried all sorts of variations on:

1. Removing one or both of the original cards.
2. Cycling with the new, original or no cards inserted.

Sometimes the thing I do works. Sometimes, I need to manually flip flop (the blue arrow) and recycle again. Sometimes what I do seems to work and then there's a reversion to a prior database at next start.

Does anyone have a cookbook checklist on how to do this reliably? I don't want to remove the existing database cards from the panel as I'm afraid they might be misplaced or broken.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: I must be stupid

Post by Boatguy »

I have on occasion seen odd results from the updates, but this was my procedure for the last four years in the 40NG - NXi - Phase II, which should be essentially the same as your DA62.

The upper MFD slot has the logs and backup of my crew profile. Each month I swap it for another SD card, take it home, copy the logs to my computer, and upload them to FlySto (highly recommended). Then it sits at home until 28 days later when it will get swapped back into the top slot.

The day before the DBs expire, I update the Supplemental Data SD card that came with my G1000 with the new DBs using the Garmin app on my Mac. At the plane, powered down, I remove the FS510 and insert the Supplemental Data card, then power up. The DB's are copied to the G1000 and it eventually it says to Restart. I power down, remove the Supplemental Data SD card and insert the FS510 back into the lower slot, then power up. It completes the swap and is good to go. The Supplemental Data SD card goes home with me for another 28 days.

Sometimes I've seen it go through the last step and revert to an old version of the DBs. I was mystified where this was coming from and made sure that there were no DBs on the FS510 or logging card so it must have been coming from the PFD. I think this may have been due to only powering up with the Electric Master, and not also turning on the Avionics Master. But I never quite tracked that down and 11 months out of 12 it worked fine.

I did try the wireless updates for awhile using Garmin Pilot, but that was painfully slow so I went back to using the SD cards.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I will second the statement that updating via SD card vs. FS510 is both faster and more reliable.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I do the same as Russ, except that I remove both MFD cards to start: I make sure there's no card in the top MFD slot when I insert the Supplemental Data SD card (with the latest files) into the bottom MFD slot for file upload. As a final step I put the flight logging card back into the top slot at the same time that I put the FS510 card back in.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

First of all, I'd suggest you to change the title of this thread to something more on topic, for future reference to other members.

One thing that's important to note is that you must wait until the system copies the files to its internal storage, which may take several minutes. Go to the AUX/Databases page on the MFD and watch the update process, before you power down the system.

If you buy the VFR/IFR charts for NXi, that database is 1.5 GB big. It takes about 4-5 minutes to copy. I have the All Americas Jeppesen charts, which is another 450 MB.

I use JDM (Jeppesen Database Manager) to get my databases and charts. I always start with a formatted SD card, to avoid leftovers from the previous cycle.
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I do the same as Russ (and Dave), except that I have an SD card reader for my iPhone and upload the top SDcard flight data to FlySto on the spot during the transfer of the databases from the MFD lower slot SDcard into the panel. So yes, as Marion points out, you can monitor the progress on the AUX-Databases page.

I usually do this on Wednesday before the cycle begins on Thursday. Then, to avoid problems, I manually tell the G1000 to swap the updated standby and active, so it's ready to go the following day. Otherwise, it may take two power cycles on or after Thursday before everything is ready.

BTW, I asked Garmin multiple times to provide the panel chart data earlier in the week -- when they make the same information available to the Garmin Pilot application (but NOT panel databases). I'm unhappy they only provide the last bit (the panel VFR/IFR charts) on the previous day before the new 28-day cycle begins. They have yet to be persuaded. At least the legally required panel stuff (e.g., NAV DB) comes out a week ahead.

When I first got my plane, I thought the FS510 wireless database updates would be awesome. Then, after doing this for several months, I realized this process requires transferring all those databases three times instead of only two. Moreover, the wireless process is so slow that you'd better have a GPU to avoid draining your main battery.
FlyingPenguin
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Peter
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N168PF
Airports: KLGB

Re: G1000 NXi database updates (I must be stupid)

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hello everyone,

I will just add one more step to what has been posted.

I also reformat my SD card to DOS-FAT option after each update, so there is nothing in it when I download the new data.

This was suggested to me by a friend who said, leaving the old files on the SD card could be causing the system not to update properly. After he started to reformat the SD card reach time, he has not had issues with G1000 not taking the new updates. Seems to work for me so far.

Thanks!
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Re: G1000 NXi database updates (I must be stupid)

Post by MackAttack »

Just so you all know, I had been unable to update my G1000 NXi for several months since my purchase. I literally tried everything with the damn cards, in both the MFD and PFD slots, and the best that I could do was get the PFD to read a card and enter a do-loop on updating 3 of the databases then starting over on them. Finally called Premier when neither me nor my instructor/mentor pilot (who is on the forum and manages/flies another 62) just couldn’t figure out WTF was going on. The FS510 wouldn’t engage Wi-FI either (BT worked fine however). Very odd.

Turns out that the System ID on my G1000 didn’t match Garmin’s records and they had to update that with Garmin over the phone. After that, seems to work ok. Very weird because they were able to update them at Premier before I took delivery so there can be gremlins in the system apparently …