5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Part number for illuminated breaker labels

Post by Charles »

The left half of the breaker labels on my 2002 DA40-180 have stopped lighting up. I confirmed that the electroluminescent strip of labels is getting power (measured 90VAC with a multimeter) so the strip is the culprit. However I can't find the part number for this label in the IPC. Does anyone know where to find it? Any idea of the list price?

Kekstrom
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kaj
Aircraft Registration: OHACS
Airports:

Re: Part number for illuminated breaker labels

Post by Kekstrom »

I have the exact same problem. Also the long row version of breaker panels. Diamond does not have these available at the moment and did not specify when to expect availability. Something to do with them changing to another contractor for these el panels.

What I found strange is that Diamond expressed that in their opinion this is not a limitation for night-vfr. I disagree with this. If you happen to find this panel somewhere please let me know also👌
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Kekstrom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 am What I found strange is that Diamond expressed that in their opinion this is not a limitation for night-vfr. I disagree with this.
Be careful what you wish for. Case in point: The essentially yet required unusable fuel level measuring gizmo.

I, too, have inoperative breaker illumination strips. But there is a weakness in the approach. I have some panel modifications that have caused spares to now be functional and some to be repurposed. The typical shop has no facility to modify the operation of the strips so I have a few places where new labels have been placed over the old ones and they would be opaque to the self-illuminating entries. I'm thinking what I would like would be an illumination strip across the underside of the lip just above the breakers that cast light on the face of the breaker panel. This would work like the floodlight but focused on that lower area.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I have also added circuit breakers (3 of them) for new avionics:
Arrows indicate added circuit breakers
Arrows indicate added circuit breakers
Labels were made on a Brother label printer, and in the case of the CO Detector and ELT, were in empty spots with no illuminated label. The ADS-B is on the same breaker as the Transponder, and the label does not obscure the illuminated one. Luckily, my EL panel still works, but all of the breakers are also adequately illuminated by the floodlight - I guess one advantage of grouping them all together on the panel if there is room.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

Kekstrom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:38 am Diamond does not have these available at the moment and did not specify when to expect availability. Something to do with them changing to another contractor for these el panels.
Oh that's not good. I did send the question to Diamond and received "We'll look into it" from them, which got my hopes up. But it's been some time now so my hopes are fading.

An EL strip above the breakers would work well and I'd be fine with it, but I'd like it to have the same color as the flood light under the glare shield. I wonder where one would buy a strip of the same material as the flood light that could take the same power input as the original strip?
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The challenge for getting them from Diamond is they only used this style panel in '02 and '03. So it's a very limited custom order. And for those of us with subsequent modifications the originals aren't quite right.

These things were made by Quantaflex. Perhaps couple of flat strips of appropriate dimensions could be obtained from them.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Charles »

After emails to Diamond, to a local Diamond distributor, and to Quantaflex, I learned a few things:

- The part is not made by Quantaflex but by a company called FTG in Ontario (at least according to Quantaflex)
- The part is available from the distributor for $240 CAD (about $180 USD) with a 1-week lead time. I find that refreshingly cheap.
- There was no response at all from Diamond
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

In the configuration in question, the illumination strip had earmarked spots for things not installed:
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 08.25.59.png
Now with various additions/modifications 3 of those spots are overlaid with different labels:
Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 08.28.52.png
ADF became B/T LINK
DME became ACU
WX 500 became STRATUS

Hence I need a different solution than replacement of the strip. Unlike the other DA40 years' panels the floodlight doesn't reach these, as they lie in the shadow of that shelf. My iPad is positioned such that its light illuminates the whole left side of the panel, including these breakers. But I need to use my other "flashlight" (aka my iPhone) for the right side.

I also should change those labels to be more descriptive, but it's kind of cramped.

B/T LINK -> FlightStream
ACU -> Aspen ACU
STRATUS -> USB adapter (marketed by and marked STRATUS)
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

One reason why I like the circuit breaker panel arrangement in mine. All the breakers are together, and as I mentioned, the floodlight illuminates them. I don't think that is really necessary (or desirable for that matter) to change the labelling to be completely specific. Rich, you know what unit handles your BT, etc. Plus, if you get a custom illuminated panel (at some cost more than a label maker), what happens when you have to replace a unit with something else?
Illumination of CB panel
Illumination of CB panel
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:58 pm One reason why I like the circuit breaker panel arrangement in mine. All the breakers are together, and as I mentioned, the floodlight illuminates them. I don't think that is really necessary (or desirable for that matter) to change the labelling to be completely specific. Rich, you know what unit handles your BT, etc. Plus, if you get a custom illuminated panel (at some cost more than a label maker), what happens when you have to replace a unit with something else?
The labeling is more about the next owner(s) of the plane. And what I have in mind isn't new custom strip(s) but rather some kind of plain strip lighting (like the floodlight) or something else mounted under the shelf above the breakers. That way regular opaque stick on labels can be used.