1 Diamond Member
First Name: Kyle
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N1452
Airports: KOZW

DA40 NG Prop Oil Leak

Post by nedblnders123 »

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2022 DA 40 NG with 89 hours on it, that got it's 100 hour as part of my purchase (needed to import from Canada). After about 15 hours of flying, when I recently started the plane, oil from the MT MTV6 prop sprayed all over the wind screen and front of the plane. I took the spinner off, and found oil coming from the weep hole in the front of the prop hub. My A&P said that oil coming from this hole means an internal seal leak in the prop, and that it needs to go to an MT shop to get fixed. Below are pics.

Has anyone else had a similar issue?

I did see some older posts about prop oil leaks, but most seemed to actually be grease leaks and related to DA40 Lycoming planes, which while similar, have completely different prop setups (i.e. gearbox).

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: DA40 NG Prop Oil Leak

Post by Rich »

Your mechanic is correct. Oil coming out of that weep hole means there is oil getting to the innards of the hub. It doesn't belong there. Prop will need to be pulled and the hub tended to. This need not be an overhaul, though.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

I can't comment on this failure mode. But I can say for sure that Brett at MT Propeller USA in DeLand, FL is fantastic. If you shoot him an email, he'll give you practical guidance about how to proceed and repair as necessary. Shoot an email to the "Service Information" address at http://www.mt-propellerusa.com/en/mtusa/cont.htm. If it is feasible to ferry your plane to them for repair (and get a fun flight to Florida in), I highly recommend it.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

Your mechanic is correct. That looks like oil and not grease from the hub. I agree with the recommendation to contact MTUSA in Florida. They’ll help you over the phone if you call and they’ll also respond to emails. Personally I wouldn’t go anywhere else.