Outdated Garmin G1000 software - petition sign-up

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N16FA
Airports: N87

Re: TDI owners: outdated Garmin G1000 software (version 9.05)

Post by cptndavid »

There are 102 DA42s registered with the FAA.
Joey
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joey
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N633DC
Airports: KJGG

Post by Joey »

I have a DA40 xls from 2008 and had to get a gtx345r w waas because the software to allow the g1000 to talk to the 345 and give it waas info does not exist and is controlled by Diamond. So count me in for software upgrades also. N633DC
Joey Ritchie
DA40 XLS 40.940
JGG Williamsburg VA
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Registration: N189Y
Airports: WN53

Post by TwinStarScott »

Welcome Curt & Joey! Your names has been added to the list and you're numbers 23 & 24.

Keith, good idea and very timely (see below)! As determining the right amount of data to collect is always a balancing act in situations such as this – especially since this isn't something I've ever really done before (at least in recent memory). So your input Keith is much appreciated. So with that in mind, this morning I sent an email off to Trek @ Garmin asking him if we need to be collecting any more data points (fields). For now, will hold off on adding any more columns until hearing back from Trek. At this stage, it shouldn't be too much work to go back an add a column or two for 24 pilots.

Last, but certainly not least, a big pat on the back (or high five) to Colin, David & Pascal!!! Because this is precisely the kind of outreach we're going to need to greatly expand our list – way to go guys as your efforts could well make the difference between success and failure in this campaign. One we seem to have thrown ourselves head long into here (ha!).

No word as of yet from the G1000 guru. . .
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by cptndavid »

There are 1420 Diamond aircraft of various models registered with the FAA. The N numbers will be made available to me soon , than we would need to get each address from the FAA in order to make contact. David
JohnLand
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N622DS
Airports: KAUO

Post by JohnLand »

Add me to the list N622DS DA40
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks John! Per David's (N16FA) posting above, if we end up doing a bulk postcard mailing you and the other 24 pilots have already saved this entirely all volunteer effort a combined $8.75 in postage (25 x .35).

So everyone, please tell your fellow Diamond aircraft owners to check in with us ASAP.

Back briefly to David's most recent post, without question this is great work by him and he did this completely on his own initiative - way to go!!! Yet, this is a large and time consuming task and as such it does bring up several decisions that will have to made by us a group - assuming we go forward with a bulk mailing. More on that later, as we'll need at least several volunteers for this mailing project. As it seems we'll need to divide up this phase of the project into smaller, bite size chunks at some point in the near future. Seems only fair the entire burden and cost shouldn't fall onto a single owner / pilot for something that could potentially benefit thousands.

Which reminds me that I need to send in a donation to this forum - for their work in providing this group the ability to communicate with each other all over the globe. Something that we can easily take take for granted these days, but it comes at cost to someone being generous in keeping this forum up and running. . . . .

For now though, off for a flight this afternoon on a rare sunny autumn day here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest as I continue to mull over the variables with this next step. . . .
40flyer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Registration: N418AM
Airports: 6D6

Post by 40flyer »

Count me in for the G1000 S/W upgrade.
DA40.553
By the way, I think Garmin still owns the STC so they have to be convinced to do the upgrade, ideally with Diamond support.
TwinStarScott
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by TwinStarScott »

Thanks to you Don, we're now up to 26 owner-pilots on our list!

And yes, I agree with your thoughts as DAI will be involved for sure. The goal here is to garner enough interest and support to warrant the attention of both Diamond and Garmin. That's why every owner counts!

Below is an earlier post (in this thread) from Tim in Stowe, MA - as he generously emailed one of the Product Engineering Supervisors at Garmin, on our behalf. So, as a result of Tim's connections and good work, we're moving forward under the guidance that Trek at Garmin recently outlined for us. After reading your comments, it reminded me the response to Tim bears repeating:

- - - - - - -

Hello Tim,
since this is an OEM airframe under a type certification they really need to be directing their questions to Diamond on doing this. unless there is a larger number of owners (and I'm talking about hundreds) the NRE costs to do something like this is in the millions of dollars and would not be something Garmin would ever consider. but we have done STC's for OEM's for airframe retrofits if the OEM contracts us to do so.

It will be hard to address each and every customer (as I already get over 200 direct emails a day). But if they're organized, have the person leading this contact me at aviation.support@garmin.com and send it to my attention and I'll be happy to send them this same data. but as I pointed out their first contact is Diamond to get this ball rolling.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

This will likely become the longest thread on this forum :)
cptndavid
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by cptndavid »

I am still waiting to hear from my FAA Friend with the tail numbers. When I get them I will let everyone know. Maybe everyone can get a bunch of them and contact those owners. David