Wiki

A place for you to give us feedback on the site, what's working well, and what other features you'd like to see

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports:

Re: Wiki

Post by admin »

I just realized that the last post regarding the Wiki is now 2 months ago and nothing has been added :roll: . Although I have tried to find checklists, but they are mostly copyright protected material or outdated.

If you would like to help DAN and are able to provide unique content for our Wiki, please let us know and we will gladly add it to the Wiki.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

I intend to post links to technical publications on the Diamond site so hopefully copyright issues will not be a problem.
Gary
admin
Site Admin
First Name: admin
Airports:

Post by admin »

Gary wrote:I intend to post links to technical publications on the Diamond site so hopefully copyright issues will not be a problem.
Gary
That would indeed be a good trick to get rid of copyright issues. But also of people visiting our site. And this is why:

1) User satisfaction: any outgoing link directs a reader away from our site.
2) SEO: indirectly we admit that another website has better or more unique content. Also, search engines will take it this way.
3) SEO: Google ranks the relevance of a website evaluating the relation of incoming to outgoing links. If the relation is negative, Google will downgrade the page, might even consider it as a link farm. (Link popularity)

Now, this is also the reason why we have turned off the option to give outgoing links in the forum.

Are we the only ones? No, even Wikipedia had to clean their entries. Even the links we placed there to our forum a few weeks ago are now deleted as well as all other aircraft type club entries. :shock: They will not allow outgoing links anymore if they aren't to a club which is relevant enough to have an own Wikipedia article.

What's left? Honestly: writing our own Wiki. And thus giving others good reasons to link to us.
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

admin wrote:
Gary wrote:I intend to post links to technical publications on the Diamond site so hopefully copyright issues will not be a problem.
Gary
That would indeed be a good trick to get rid of copyright issues. But also of people visiting our site. And this is why:

1) User satisfaction: any outgoing link directs a reader away from our site.
2) SEO: indirectly we admit that another website has better or more unique content. Also, search engines will take it this way.
3) SEO: Google ranks the relevance of a website evaluating the relation of incoming to outgoing links. If the relation is negative, Google will downgrade the page, might even consider it as a link farm. (Link popularity)

Now, this is also the reason why we have turned off the option to give outgoing links in the forum.

Are we the only ones? No, even Wikipedia had to clean their entries. Even the links we placed there to our forum a few weeks ago are now deleted as well as all other aircraft type club entries. :shock: They will not allow outgoing links anymore if they aren't to a club which is relevant enough to have an own Wikipedia article.

What's left? Honestly: writing our own Wiki. And thus giving others good reasons to link to us.
I do not really understand all of the issues here. I have listed a bunch of links to Diamond, MT, Hartzell, Garmin and Jeppesen in the Wiki. My goal is to encourage Diamond owners to come here to easily find information that is needed or otherwise useful. Please feel free to edit and/or delete any of my entries. What should I do in the future?
Gary
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

[quote=
I do not really understand all of the issues here.
Gary[/quote]
I don't understand all of the issues either...
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Jean
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jean
Aircraft Registration: N446DC
Airports: EBLG

Post by Jean »

[quote=
I do not really understand all of the issues here.
Gary[/quote]
I don't understand all of the issues either...
The links Gary provides are very useful, I have them in my favorites.
If the forum directs external links to a new page, you won't necessarily loose your users.
40.446, G1000, KAP 140, Hartzell Metal
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

My preference would be to open each new link in a new tab when you click on it. That might help with the problem of directing people away, since the original DA window would remain open. Personally, I like having the links all collected in one place, too - it's a great resource for any Diamond owner.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Gary »

Rick wrote:My preference would be to open each new link in a new tab when you click on it. That might help with the problem of directing people away, since the original DA window would remain open. Personally, I like having the links all collected in one place, too - it's a great resource for any Diamond owner.
How do you open each new link in a new tab?
Gary
Rick
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Post by Rick »

Gary wrote:How do you open each new link in a new tab?
I'm not sure how to do it from our side, Gary - it may be something the Wiki Admin needs to make happen. But it's got to be possible. Turn your coder loose on that one, Kai!
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Kai
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Kai
Aircraft Type: DA40F
Aircraft Registration: XXXX
Airports: VTCY

Post by Kai »

Rick wrote:Turn your coder loose on that one, Kai!
done.

Regarding the Wiki: for me a Wiki is something different than a link collection. A Wiki has own content, a link collection has not. Generally, I don't like saying "We have a Wiki" when we only have a collection of links, although they are good and important.

Now, at another site we all know, they use the term "Association" and they try everything not to be. We are far away from this, but I would like to try to stick to a principle that the user will get what he can expect. IMHO and as long as we don't have our own content, the links are a valid placeholder.

To make things easier to understand regarding Search Engine Optimization (SEO): for google and pagerank issues, it is always better to have own unique content. Therefore, a Wiki with own content positively affects the traffic we can expect from Google. Also, it is better to have more links directing to us than to others or at least have a balanced relation of both.
DA40F - N405FP/HS-KAI (sold)