Farkling (You bikers know what this means)

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Farkling (You bikers know what this means)

Post by Rich »

Not all DA40-180's are the same. The first couple of years of production the airframes were lighter, with no significant rearward CG concerns, yet cruise slower than the newer ones.

After 2004, they got faster, but were also typically heavier, with empty CG further aft, and the extended fuel tanks option, produced rearward CG concerns.

From my own experience and what others have posted, the spread in cruise speeds is more than 10 knots, and useful loads span something like 130 pounds. Lots of us have added various gizmos to add to the variations in weight and capabilities.

Mine is a 2002, and is one of the lighter, slower ones. I've added a few things over the years, to the total tune of something like $28,000 :shock: . Several of the goodies I've put in became incorporated into the later DA40's, either as standard, semi-standard (i.e., bundled) or optional with the later models. Herewith the significant stuff I put in to make it "more perfect":

Extended baggage compartment. *
Conversion of 530 and 430 to WAAS *
Powerflow exhaust *
XeVision (2x50W) *
MTOW/MLW mods *
Fine wire plugs
Concorde RG24-15M battery
406 MHz ELT (ACK E-04)
ADS-B out (Bendix-King KT74) *

The stuff with asterisks are all items that produced notable improvement in mission effectiveness. Some more than others. The remaining items are just there and are helpful in invisible, theoretical ways because you just don't notice them. I have been judicious about farkling such that the net change in empty weight from all of these changes has been a total of 10 pounds. Most of that (8 pounds) is the extended baggage compartment. I did get a 5-7 knot improvement in cruise speed with the Powerflow, but there is no way I can get bragging rights with respect to my cruise speed :( , I figured I'd work on it being a better-than-average weight hauler, as the PF mod did add considerably to climb speed :D .

Some of these work together. For example, the fact I'd already upgraded to WAAS years ago made it easier and therefore less expensive to add ADS-B out. And the Powerflow conversion makes the MTOW and extended baggage more practical than they would otherwise have been.

I'm probably not quite done. A couple more items on my list would be converting the nav/collision lights to LED, changing out the magnetic compass to a panel-mount.

Some maybes:
- Getting a Garmin G5 installed in place of my AI. DA40 isn't on the AML, but I don't see any reason I couldn't get a field approval. There really isn't a functional difference between my plane and many other types (like 172's, etc.) that are, as my AI is not a backup to an electronic display like a G1000. This is sort of preventive. My AI has never given me any real trouble, but eventually it will wear out and it has been spinning for over 1500 hours and sitting there for 14-1/2 years.
- Eventually an electronic ignition. But I'm not quite sold on current available offerings.
- GAMI injectors. With my current stock injectors I can fly LOP, so it's unclear I need them. But I'm getting strange results from the GAMI test :scratch: , so ...

Then I'll be done, I think ;)
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Re: Farkling (You bikers know what this means)

Post by Charles »

Interesting. I have a 2002 as well and did most of the upgrades you mention or slight variations on them, except for the PowerFlow, mostly for cost and reliability/added maintenance concerns, and ADS-B which is planned for next year. And I replaced the mechanical AI when it failed with an RC-2600A glass AI which is TSO. The G5 might become an option when the DG fails. My last annual was under $1k so the plane is in great shape.

Empty weight is a little under 1700lbs. Right now with my wife and the two kids on board, we have room for full fuel (standard tanks) and 80lbs of luggage so still fine but with the kids getting bigger, that number is getting smaller every day. Max gross is the old 2535lbs so I still have the option of doing the OSB to increase it to 2645 which would give me about 950lbs useful. I foresee a need for that one in 2 years.

The one thing I wish I could add is an AP but that will require changing the plane.

I saw your note in the other thread. I'll go check my dipstick today :shock:
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Charles, The difference in empty weight between yours and mine is largely the A/P. As far as I can tell it's worth about 20-25 lbs. additional weight.

I guess that sort of counts as a farkle, as well, as it was an option I chose to include in the original purchase. The other thing that I still have, but only by implication, is the MT prop, which is considerably lighter than the aluminum Hartzell props.

FWIW, my Powerflow is over 10 years old with no failures of any kind.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I guess I'm a non-farkler. My 2001 DA-40 (did come with baggage tube, DME, and the KAP-140 autopilot/KCS-55 HSI) was slightly "pre-farkled". Since I have the KLN-94, no cheap upgrade path to WAAS. The only upgrades I have done are replacing the digital clock with an Aero-553 CO detector, 35W XeVision lights, fine wire plugs, and replacing the ELT with an ACK E-04. I'm still considering what path to take for ADS-B. Now, I rarely fly with >2 aboard, so not considering GW increase.

Steve
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

The 2003 DA-40 that I purchased this year came pre-farklered - PowerFlow exhaust (worth 100-200 fpm climb and 5 kt or so); GAMIs and FineWires (enabled LOP ops); MTOW/MLW increase (Useful is 945 lbs with 6qt of oil, but real constraint for most flights remains the landing weight); LED taxi/landing lights (marginal improvement); G530 WAAS upgrade (LPV coupled approaches - G430 not upgraded so can't exchange flight plans); GDL-88 ADSB (traffic is useful, WX is better on my IPad) and Hartzell aluminum prop (MT prop was subject to frequent chips and splinters). The 40 gal tanks provide all the fuel I need for my 2 hour Angel Flights/trips but I would like to add the larger rudder that comes with the 50 gal tanks. (I find the rudder to be limited when landing in decent X-winds.) This year I plan to focus on cosmetics -- leading edge needs re-spray, decals need replacing, and leather interior needs repair and re-dye (any suggested companies would be welcome.) I've considered, but so far rejected, adding Hartzell Composite prop (reduction in vibration for "only" 15K); HID lights (don't often fly at night); extended baggage compartment (would help with my forward CG but haven't really needed yet); electronic ignition (like others, I'm not sure worth it -- my IO360 starts fine -- cold or hot-- and I don't fly high that often); speed kit (not big enough improvement for the price, prefer the larger tires, my MLG upgrade would have to be changed); Stormscope (Mk 1 eyeball -- tactical -- and Nexrad -- strategic -- enough so far); AMSafe airbags (adds to safety but additional ongoing maintenance costs); GPSS (only helps with enroute precision, not approach precision where most needed); Flightstream 210 (most of my IFR flights are not on airways -- not sure I fly enough complicated routes to justify ease in changing flight plans) and Aspen PFD (another layer of button pushing complexity, does not add any operational advantage). My wish list for not currently available upgrades would mainly be for an Avidyne DF90 Autopilot (digital precision and can climb based on IAS instead of VS). Possible future upgrades as components fail would be a G500 and a EI MVP 50P engine monitor.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

The extended baggage compartment has seen lots of use over the years for me. The most recent of the PF/MTOW/ext.baggage case was earlier this year, just a couple of weeks after the MTOW conversion. I had volunteered to ferry a couple who were flying in to work on our opera production in Bend. They were, unfortunately, arriving at a time when Redmond airport was closed for runway work. So I volunteered to pick them up at Portland Int'l and fly them to Bend.

A guy and his wife, eh? How big a deal would it be. If only...

In reality, it was the two of them with winter coats, two checked roll-on bags, two "carry-on" roll-on bags, a laptop case/briefcase, a shopping bag sort of thing apparently filled with books, a purse stuffed with who-knows-what, and my flight bag. Filled 3 seats with humans, plus the entire extended baggage compartment and the right rear seat with these apparently necessary accessories. Filled to the brim is a pretty accurate description.

1000 FPM @ 90 knots climbing out runway 28R from Portland and turning eastbound toward the Gorge. Altitude restriction from ATC and cloud cover (we were VFR) constrained us to 2000 ft, which took almost no time to reach. All in all, no challenge at all - unless they had brought one more checked bag :shock:
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Post by blsewardjr »

My Angel Flight patients are limited to 40-50 lbs and my wife is an amazingly organized packer so for us the extended baggage compartment would be useful, but not necessary. I may change my mind, however, after we take the plane from Virginia to Florida and back for Christmas.
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA