3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N226PA
Airports: KTTA

Re: DA40NG N907L forced landing on a highway

Post by midlifeflyer »

A Dopo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:26 pm Not many fires in any of the crashes, and I was surprised to see the fire.
Airframe generally don't do well when hilting power lines. That alone can be deadly.

So glad to hear they are OK.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

midlifeflyer wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:08 pm
A Dopo wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:26 pm Not many fires in any of the crashes, and I was surprised to see the fire.
Airframe generally don't do well when hilting power lines. That alone can be deadly.
And the wing hit a semi, but they still got out before the fire got going.

We need to know the cause of the engine failure.
ScottOHare
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Scott
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: Other
Airports: KDIJ

Post by ScottOHare »

Did Diamond ever release the cause of the engine failure on the DA40NG that made it back to the airport in NJ, or was it NY?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

ScottOHare wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:29 pm Did Diamond ever release the cause of the engine failure on the DA40NG that made it back to the airport in NJ, or was it NY?
No. I don't think Diamond has ever made any comment on any accident involving a Diamond.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

Nice presentation on the accident:

Juan Brown always does a good job on these accident videos. Presents the facts as they are known, doesn't speculate.
A Dopo
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Juan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N195DA
Airports: KCEU

Post by A Dopo »

Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

ScottOHare wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:29 pm Did Diamond ever release the cause of the engine failure on the DA40NG that made it back to the airport in NJ, or was it NY?
It was in NY - IMC engine failure during training flight with CFI on board who magnificently controlled the ATC-guided descent to a happy outcome on a runway. However, Diamond communications on this and numerous other Austro engine failures are poor at best. EG., why did Blue Line training flight DA40 go down in NC a year or so ago? Way too many failures now to call any of them anomalistic. Brand value decreases exponentially when known failures are not diagnosed and communicated by the manufacturer. I personally would never own a Diamond Austro single again. Would happily buy a 42 or 62 if I could find one but can’t stomach the SE risk given the ‘hope not to die’ motivation. Incidentally, I was a former owner of a lovely DA 40 and could not have enjoyed it more. I was also a renter in a DA 40 when the now-known Austro turbo tubing failure occurred at 4K ft and I was able to recover and land safely
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

Mdm0515 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm
It was in NY - IMC engine failure during training flight with CFI on board who magnificently controlled the ATC-guided descent to a happy outcome on a runway. However, Diamond communications on this and numerous other Austro engine failures are poor at best. EG., why did Blue Line training flight DA40 go down in NC a year or so ago? Way too many failures now to call any of them anomalistic. Brand value decreases exponentially when known failures are not diagnosed and communicated by the manufacturer. I personally would never own a Diamond Austro single again. Would happily buy a 42 or 62 if I could find one but can’t stomach the SE risk given the ‘hope not to die’ motivation. Incidentally, I was a former owner of a lovely DA 40 and could not have enjoyed it more. I was also a renter in a DA 40 when the now-known Austro turbo tubing failure occurred at 4K ft and I was able to recover and land safely
You are very fortunate - two different failures of the "ultra reliable" Austro engine with successful outcomes.

I'm waiting for ultraturtle to weigh in and remind everyone how the Austro is close to the PT-6 in reliability and the IO-360 fails every 1100 hours. BTW, my neighbors DA40-180 just passed 4000 hours on the original engine. One mag failure stranded him briefly in SD - but a local mechanic had parts and got him back flying. Wonder if the same mechanic could have fixed a DA40NG.
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

Thank goodness for the fortunate outcome. “An Austo has close to PT-6 reliability and the IO-360 fails every 1100 hours?”. What are the references for those statements? Any engine can fail, and we fly accordingly, but I thought most IO-360’s made it to TBO and beyond with little if any trouble. There certainly aren’t a lot of IO-360 M1A engine failure accident reports in the US.