5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: Nose gear recurring AD

Post by Steve »

So Rich - it appears that your strut has an obvious crack, that I assume wasn’t there at the last inspection. You don’t even need dye penetrant to see it.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Steve wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:44 am So Rich - it appears that your strut has an obvious crack, that I assume wasn’t there at the last inspection. You don’t even need dye penetrant to see it.
It does appear that maybe there is a crack starting. The undercuts were a surprise. I guess we just hadn't been really looking before. Here's a higher magnification picture.
2002 nose strut magnified.jpeg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

I'm starting my next Annual in October. I don't recall that my nosegear pivot has an undercut like that, but I will check it and take some closeup photos. On yours, there is definitely a big crack near the top of the weld, plus there also looks like a crack (or perhaps a casting defect) to the left of the undercut area near the bottom of the picture.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

It should be noted that my plane has less than 2000 hours total time and has never been used in a flight school environment where you might see 30+ touch and gos in a day. A very few instances of taxiing off pavement onto parking areas and never been operated on unpaved runways.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Rich »

Let's correct the record. Previous picture looked kind of grim, right? So I cleaned it up. It turns out all the bad-looking stuff was just all various schmutz (aka grease, dirt, etc). The surface and joint is actually pristine and shows no visible evidence of any cracks. However, note the surface roughness ring on the strut surface. This seems to be in the outer area of the upper bushing surface. I suspect dirt gets trapped in that area. Further investigation TBP.
Nose strut after cleaning with alcohol
Nose strut after cleaning with alcohol
The reddish hue is the reflection of my phone case. The undercut on both surfaces is readily visible if you look closely.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member

Post by Steve »

Well, that certainly looks much better. Whew! I wonder if the undercut is there to act as a reservoir for grease. I will have to look at mine.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Hello,

Is the new AD only for Canada ?

Arnaud.
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Bing
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bruce
Aircraft Registration: N526DS
Airports: KJQF

Post by Bing »

Despite testing and inspection, my nose gear collapsed on brake check on the ramp several years ago. That defective $5k part turned into a new prop and engine rebuild. Luckily, it didn't happen during landing or it could have been much worse.

It's not just bad landings that can cause cracking. If your FBO uses a large tug to pull the plane around, sharp turns can cause the nose wheel to hit the stops and subject the strut to a fair amount of torque. Since my incident, I don't let anyone pull it with anything larger than a golf cart. The smaller vehicle has less power and provides more feedback to the driver that the limits have been reached.
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Post by astaib »

Bing wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:01 pm Despite testing and inspection, my nose gear collapsed on brake check on the ramp several years ago. That defective $5k part turned into a new prop and engine rebuild. Luckily, it didn't happen during landing or it could have been much worse.

It's not just bad landings that can cause cracking. If your FBO uses a large tug to pull the plane around, sharp turns can cause the nose wheel to hit the stops and subject the strut to a fair amount of torque. Since my incident, I don't let anyone pull it with anything larger than a golf cart. The smaller vehicle has less power and provides more feedback to the driver that the limits have been reached.
Thank you for this feedback.
I just ordered the NLG to have it replace during my next annual in february. I don't want to make the initial inspection as I anyway have to change it according to the MSB.
Cost is 3200 euros for the part only...
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b