Austria - USA Ferry Pilot Recommendations

Open for questions of visitors of DAN. Posts of our guests are on moderation queue.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Fred
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N172KJ
Airports: KARR

Austria - USA Ferry Pilot Recommendations

Post by Fred Claus »

Hi everyone, I’m getting closer to taking delivery of a DA62 out of the Austrian factory. I’m looking for experienced ferry pilots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations? I know there are a few who have YouTube fame as well as the factory’s pilots but I’d love to get DAN’s two cents. Thanks in advance!

Also, if anyone has experience with ferry insurance and thinks there is anything they wish they knew in advance, please do share.
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Austria - USA Ferry Pilot Recommendations

Post by michael.g.miller »

Congrats on the new bird! Having flown roundtrip to Europe twice, and around the world once, I can offer some commentary on insurance. In short, it sucks!

From what I've seen, there's basically just once choice for ferry flying insurance, Great American. They charge around 10% of hull value for hull coverage, plus ~$10k for liability insurance, a little more for EU since EU has higher insurance mins than are typical than the US. They can do this because they're the insurer of last resort, when no other carrier will quote.

The best broker I've found for insurance is Ryan Konrath <rkonrath@wingsinsurance.com>. He and his company can quote every US company on the market, and hopefully get you more favorable terms than Great American. Just don't hold your breath.

PS - if you have the opportunity, I highly suggest you join for the crossing. Crossing the NAT is absolutely incredible. You haven't lived until you've seen the Greenland ice cap from the air.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

I'm wondering why you need a ferry pilot or ferry insurance.

If you're a US buyer taking delivery of a new DA62 made in Austria, Diamond is responsible for ferrying the new plane to Diamond's Canadian factory in London, Ontario, flying it under Austrian registry (with "OE" tail number) and covered by Diamond's insurance -- a trip that typically takes 3 days. After the plane arrives in London, it will then be inspected by an FAA DAR and issued a US airworthiness certificate and N-number. You can then pick up the plane from London or (most often) have your US distributor deliver the plane to your home airport in the US -- no different from receiving delivery of a Canadian-built DA62.

It might be possible to accompany the Diamond ferry pilot as they fly your new plane across the Atlantic from the Austrian to the Canadian Diamond factory (I did this back in 2013 when I purchased a new Austrian-built DA42-VI for US delivery -- it was awesome), but you don't need to hire a ferry pilot or need insurance for that.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

Thank you, Mike! I'm incredibly excited. I've spoken with Ryan about general insurance. He was very knowledgeable and quick. I'll try to give him a call to see if he thinks there could be a second bidder. I do think Lufthansa may provide insurance in Europe, and possibly even for the ferry flight.

The thought of going on that journey is incredibly alluring. I'm fortunate to have flown over (wasn't the pilot) Greenland a few times and it is a fantastic view albeit we were higher than the DA62 can go. If I'm able to go with on the ferry flight there is a good chance I will opt to. Thank you for the suggestion!
ACCTHA9
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Por
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: HSXXX
Airports: VTBD KORL

Post by ACCTHA9 »

If you buy in the US! U pick the plane in Canada. idk why you need a ferry team to do so? Please advice.
Fred Claus
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Fred Claus »

Dave and Por, the reason for the ferry pilot is that the plane is being purchased in Europe through a European broker. The plan was initially to keep it there but now it will be kept in the US. I don't think the ferry service is provided at zero cost unless the plane was purchased through a US broker.