Tanis engine heater for Lycoming: Love it or not?

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

SLB_DA40
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: scott
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N523LT
Airports: KBDR

Tanis engine heater for Lycoming: Love it or not?

Post by SLB_DA40 »

Hey folks,
Newbie (one week) owner here so go easy on me :)

Northeast based and stuck outside for the foreseeable future. 9 hours SMOH. My mechanic has recommended the Tanis TA-2925-1 for my IO-360-M1A+. Any experiences or stories to share? Thanks!

PS. Me and my partner are absolutely head over heels about how this plane flies.
gyro3816
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Adam
Aircraft Registration: N886KC
Airports: KPTK

Re: Tanis engine heater for Lycoming: Love it or not?

Post by gyro3816 »

I have Tanis (I’m in Michigan so I need it). I’m very happy with the tanis performance. Needs about 2hrs to warm oil 20F-40F. I use a cellphone switch to control from home. I’m happy to share my setup for airplane and hangar switch, just PM me. Welcome to ownership DA40 w IO360 is the winning combination.
Adam
CSEL, CMEL, Instrument
N886KC DA40 XLS, G1000 w GFC700
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

They're great. But they do take some time to heat up the engine block when it's cold. We have one even parked on the ramp, which we power with a solar panel and two golf cart batteries, plus a cheap power inverter.

It's not recommended to heat up the engine in any other way, due to the composite cowling.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

+1 for these comments, great product. You will want to use cowl plugs and a blanket, especially if outside. I try to run it at least 4-6 hours before startup but 2 should work if it is not much below freezing.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

The Tanis works well for me. My plane used to be outside (Montreal, Canada) and with an insulated cowling cover and a prop cover for my metal prop, the engine oil would be 60-90F even on the colder days.

The prop cover is important if you use a heater outside and have a metal prop. Without one, the prop will suck the heat from the engine and cause the front of the engine to remain cold and allowing condensation of the humidity in the warmer air inside the engine to create corrosion around the prop shaft.

Good article about pre-heating here: https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-why ... reheating/
SLB_DA40
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: scott
Aircraft Registration: N523LT
Airports: KBDR

Post by SLB_DA40 »

Charles wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:37 pm The Tanis works well for me. My plane used to be outside (Montreal, Canada) and with an insulated cowling cover and a prop cover for my metal prop, the engine oil would be 60-90F even on the colder days.

The prop cover is important if you use a heater outside and have a metal prop. Without one, the prop will suck the heat from the engine and cause the front of the engine to remain cold and allowing condensation of the humidity in the warmer air inside the engine to create corrosion around the prop shaft.

Good article about pre-heating here: https://www.avweb.com/ownership/the-why ... reheating/
Hey thanks for this. Interesting caveat. So if I have the Hartzell composite prop, I should be okayish? Unless the exterior is contaminated, it will likely heat outdoors.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mhoran »

We don't bother covering our prop, but it's true that the engine block doesn't get super hot in the current state. However, the oil pan does heat up, which is also important. It doesn't really get that cold around here anymore it seems, but we have considered getting a blanket for the really cold days.
Charles
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Registration: C-FLEV
Airports: CYHU

Post by Charles »

SLB_DA40 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:16 pm
Charles wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:37 pm The Tanis works well for me. My plane used to be outside (Montreal, Canada) and with an insulated cowling cover and a prop cover for my metal prop, the engine oil would be 60-90F even on the colder days.

Hey thanks for this. Interesting caveat. So if I have the Hartzell composite prop, I should be okayish? Unless the exterior is contaminated, it will likely heat outdoors.

I don't think a composite prop would need insulation due its much lower heat conductivity. But if you're in an area with a lot of freezing rain/ice/snow accumulation, a full aircraft cover including a prop cover can save you a lot of de-icing.
steve_falconer
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N263DS
Airports: KMHR

Post by steve_falconer »

How do you use the Tanis preheater? Just connect to ground power? Any switches? My logbook shows one was installed, but I’m not sure if it’s there after the engine was rebuilt. being in Sacramento, I normally don’t need it unless traveling somewhere that can get cold like the Grand Canyon in November, but I hope to do more and would like to know how to use it.
2003 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, G500 TXi/GDU1060, GI275, 530W/430W, KAP140, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly/Rt Mag, GDL88, Flightstream 210, Whalen LED Strobes, PMA450B
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member

Post by mhoran »

Just plug it in. You should have a plug somewhere like this, usually attached to the oil filler tube. Many then hook that up to a remote controlled relay of some sort so it can be started while on the way to the airport (or overnight.)
IMG_1621.jpg