5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

They're out there among us...

Post by Rich »

Found on Facebook. Comments in response to question on NG load carrying ability.
IMG_0126.PNG
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
astaib
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Arnaud
Aircraft Registration: FGNJX
Airports: LFPX

Re: They're out there among us...

Post by astaib »

let's wait for an inspector to read this!
:shock:
Arnaud
DA40 Star 180 / 40.026 / 2001
Wingtip, landing and taxing LED (Whelen)
Skitube
GNS430 NON-WAAS
Steam gauges
Non certified ADS-b
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

It's all fun until the day it's not and the survivors find out the insurance is cancelled.
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

How unfortunate. My co-owner and I learned about the importance of weight and balance early in our training, when our instructor crashed an overweight DA20 on a 100 degree summer day on takeoff. Our instructor didn't make it, but his student survived. Ever since we've both been extremely cautious about load and the impact of density altitude. It's no joke.
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

An interesting feature of the DA40 that I think is too often misunderstood or ignored is maximum zero fuel weight. In most planes, a reduction in fuel weight allows for a pound for pound increase in passenger weight. Not true in a Diamond. In a DA40 you can pretty much empty the tanks and not get much of an increase in the 580 pound (for my plane) load limit. I’ve done all kinds of load shifts and manipulations on Foreflight, and there is simply not much we can do to up our passenger weight limit by more than a few pounds. This stuff matters.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

mhoran wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:17 am How unfortunate. My co-owner and I learned about the importance of weight and balance early in our training, when our instructor crashed an overweight DA20 on a 100 degree summer day on takeoff. Our instructor didn't make it, but his student survived. Ever since we've both been extremely cautious about load and the impact of density altitude. It's no joke.
It seems that ignoring W&B is a fairly common issue, even among experienced pilots. About 10 or twelve years ago a friend who is an airline pilot asked me to help one of his coworker's sons who was trying to get into the Marines as an aviator. There was some (relatively minor) medical issue holding up his acceptance. I was a Reserve Navy Flight Surgeon back then, and had a lot of contacts at NAMI, so I called around and was able to give him the advice he needed to get approved.

Fast forward a couple of years - he was flying (C130s I think) and was home on leave with few friends. His Dad owned a 172 (that the Marine had flown before numerous times). Took his friends up flying on a hot day and crashed and burned. They were a couple of hundred pounds over Max Gross, and the CG was well aft of the limit.

Every time I see my airline pilot friend (we had dinner with him and his wife last night), he relates how appreciative his coworker was (and is) that I helped get his son into flight training in the Navy. But I always feel a bit queasy about the whole episode. Not guilty, but weird.

At any rate, I have always been very careful about W&B. When the kids were still living at home I've flown a couple of pounds below Max Gross in my airplane, but never even close to CG limits. Even now, flying solo or with one other, I always do the W&B on Foreflight for every flight even though it would be impossible to be outside of the limits. I like adjusting my approach speed based on Gross Weight...
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Post by Chris »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:48 pm Fast forward a couple of years - he was flying (C130s I think) and was home on leave with few friends. His Dad owned a 172 (that the Marine had flown before numerous times). Took his friends up flying on a hot day and crashed and burned. They were a couple of hundred pounds over Max Gross, and the CG was well aft of the limit.

At any rate, I have always been very careful about W&B. When the kids were still living at home I've flown a couple of pounds below Max Gross in my airplane, but never even close to CG limits. Even now, flying solo or with one other, I always do the W&B on Foreflight for every flight even though it would be impossible to be outside of the limits. I like adjusting my approach speed based on Gross Weight...
Such a sad story. These days it's so easy to enter W&B into Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, or even a simple spreadsheet that there's no excuse for not knowing your W&B within a few pounds. It just takes discipline to avoid the "well we made it OK last time so let's go for it" mindset. I always try to imagine what the NTSB report (and "CrashTalk" discussion) would look like in order to prevent myself from slacking off on this.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

Mjwatlanta wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:56 pm An interesting feature of the DA40 that I think is too often misunderstood or ignored is maximum zero fuel weight. In most planes, a reduction in fuel weight allows for a pound for pound increase in passenger weight. Not true in a Diamond. In a DA40 you can pretty much empty the tanks and not get much of an increase in the 580 pound (for my plane) load limit. I’ve done all kinds of load shifts and manipulations on Foreflight, and there is simply not much we can do to up our passenger weight limit by more than a few pounds. This stuff matters.
in the Lyc version, the difference (when it exists) is 111 lb, or 18 gallons of fuel. that's about my minimum for initiating a flight, anyway.

In the NG it's a little harder to tell, but commonly it looks like 101 lb. That'd be like 15 gallons?

Of course loading passengers up to MTOW makes for the most safety, since you'd have zero fuel and aren't going anywhere :D

The NG also has something weird - a minimum flight mass of 2072 lb. :scratch: It would seem to be almost impossible to violate that limitation.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Mjwatlanta
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Michael
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N161DA
Airports: Kfty

Post by Mjwatlanta »

Rich,
I’m confused. I think you write that I can reduce my fuel by 15 gallons and increase my passenger/luggage load by 101 pounds. That would be 680 pounds. Fiddling with Foreflight I can go to zero fuel and that very much exceeds the ZFW. Now, there is a very real chance I’m doing this wrong, but with full tanks (39) I can carry 580 pounds. With empty tanks I can do 585. ZFW is the limiting factor - not gross weight.

I had a long talk with my instrument DPE about this. He taught me about how this ZFW relates to the wing’s ability to support the fuselage.

I hope I’m confused. But every manipulation still results in a red ZFW warning at the top of the page. See attached. At 590 and 0 fuel I’m in w&b but exceed zfw. At 585 and full tanks I’m in w&b but at limit. At 580 with full tanks I feel good about it. Am I wrong?
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

In the AFM landing overweight is just a "land lightly" warning which isn't anywhere near as bad as take off or CG issues, so while I note that limitation I'm not overly stressed about it. IIRC Alaska flying has a carte blanche "take off with +10% MTOW" allowance which has always bothered me - I tend to run cautious on that front but not as cautious as I am about CG. CG is no joke.

That being said, I suspect there's a population of DA40 50g pilots who use the 40g rear CG limits. The 50g rear CG limit is... close.