Everglades

Your trip reports, airport experiences, etc. are welcome here.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Everglades

Post by Boatguy »

Looking to escape the rain and cold in Northern California. My wife is interested in visiting the Everglades.

Anybody have any tips or suggestions for a visit to the Everglades National Park?

How about restrictions or experience overlying the park? I'm assuming a 2,000' minimum, but other than that?

Preferences for a GA airport in the Miami and/or Naples area?

Thanks,

Russ
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Re: Everglades

Post by ingramleedy »

A good spot for seafood is Everglades Airpark (X01). It has a short runway. Here is my adventure there https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnFo13Wj ... BiNWFlZA== Its about 1 mile into town, but most restaurants can arrange a ride, walk it, or sometimes bikes are available. Stonecrabs are in season is Oct. 15 - May 1 and other fresh seafood. It's a very small town, but a rich history in the everglades. There should be some good airboat rides you can arrange as well. It is in the middle of nowhere but beautiful.

Also check out Clyde Butcher https://clydebutcher.com/ . Very famous black and white photographer of natural Florida landscapes. He is one of my favorites. His gallery is not too far from Everglades City.

I prefer the west coast of Florida and the cities along there are more old Florida. Naples is nearby (KAPF), Fort Myers might be good options to stay.

-Ingram
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

ingramleedy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:35 pm A good spot for seafood is Everglades Airpark (X01).

I was there today!

Used to fly my DA40 into Everglades City (X01) but today we landed our DA42 at Marco Island (KMKY) instead and rented a car. We wanted to explore Marco, Everglades City and the end of the road, end of civilization Chokoloskee.

Marco Island is condos and big hotels like so many other parts of crowded coastal Florida. Prefer nearby Naples.

My family doesn't quite get it but Everglades City is one of my favorite places for a day trip. Land on the 2,400' recently redone runway if your skills are up to it. Most parking is grass alongside the runway. Walk into town or use one of the beat-up bikes the FBO has available. Of several good restaurants I especially like the Camellia Street Grill.

Chokoloskee is interesting for a little history. Read up on "The Story of Edgar J. Watson: The Infamous Businessman & Serial Killer" https://www.coastalbreezenews.com/opini ... bf46e.html Visit Smallwood's Store.

But you know, I'm not sure I would recommend it as an Everglades experience. Because of tall vegetation along the roads we saw only brief glimpses of the expanse of sawgrass. To me the area feels like the Gulf Coast of Florida where I grew up before it got overpopulated. We've never done one but there are lots of air boat ride companies. Maybe they get you out to the more scenic areas. Maybe accessing the 'Glades from the Miami side is better.
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Thanks for the tips. It looks like this trip will not have to be in 2025.