2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joe
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N86RK
Airports: EDMA + NC26

Rear door seal replacement?

Post by Oshkosh99 »

I own a 2007 DA42, converted into a NG in 2010. Total time now is around 2650hrs. Normally my plane is hangared but when traveling I now noted for the second time a soaking wet floor behind the pilots seat after the plane sat for a day or two outside in the rain.

To me the rear door seal looks fine, but I guess the water leaks through there, so I assume I need a new seal.

I am sure my Diamond service center can replace this for a couple of hundred bucks, but this little white seal looks not that special, so I am wondering if anybody has found a standard door or window seal to fit the door?

Thanks!
Fanta$01
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: James
Aircraft Type: DA20
Aircraft Registration: N405FP
Airports: LAX

Re: Rear door seal replacement?

Post by Fanta$01 »

It sounds like you're experiencing a common issue with water leaking through the rear door seal. While it might seem like a small part, the seal plays a crucial role in keeping your aircraft dry. Although your Diamond service center could replace it for you, if you're looking for a more cost-effective solution, you might consider checking with them or online aviation stores for compatible standard door or window seals. Just make sure it meets the required specifications for your DA42 NG.
Diamond_Dan
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N456AS
Airports: KLWM

Post by Diamond_Dan »

Check the caulk seal around the rear window too.
Oshkosh99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

How is water coming into the rear foot wells?

Post by Oshkosh99 »

Thanks for the replies.

After having found some nice looking white rubber seals at the local building center I now think the water is not coming through the rear door. So I did not install those seals as of yet...

I had covered the Canopy with a thin cover from "ISS-Protect" last Wednesday and hoped, this would keep the water or at least most of it out.
When I then came back after more rain on Saturday I first realized, that this thin travel cover seems to be not really water tight, the canopy below was moist.
But now BOTH rear seat footwells had quite a bit of standing water in it (about 1/2" each side). I could not see any wet spots or water traces anywhere on the wall or anywhere on the inside of the cabin. Plus how should the water come from the rear door on the left side across the middle tunnel to the rear right footwell? And that much water to flow through the cover is hard to believe.
ISS protect cover.jpg
So I think the water must come from somewhere else.
Both pilot and co-pilot footwells in the front are dry.

Could the water come from the areas where the inner wings meet the fuselage or where the outer wings meet the engine nacelles? Our aircraft has had the wings removed a couple of times, not only 5 years ago during the 2000hr inspection but then a couple of years ago again when they discovered that wrong fuel lines where fitted during that major inspection... So maybe water is coming in through some seal there?

Or is there a way for water to come in from the front and flow on the floor to the back?

Thanks...
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

Check out this thread for a similar discussion:

viewtopic.php?p=88257&hilit=marine#p88257
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

It looks like the 42 has potential leak points not found in the 40. Specifically, how the wing inner sections abut the fuselage. How about taking the plane to a place where you could douse the plane at targeted sections with a hose. Sit inside in the back seat while a friend lofts a water stream at suspect areas and see if you can observe water coming in.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
Oshkosh99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Oshkosh99 »

Soareyes,

thanks. I'll order some of that sealant!

Another good thread:
viewtopic.php?p=44371&hilit=water+leak#p44371
let me to download the AMM:
http://support.diamond-air.at/fileadmin ... AMM-r5.pdf

Chapter 05-25-00 lists a mindboggling quantity of drainholes, especially under the center section of the wings, which I guess is right under the rear seat footwells (look at page 128).
I guess I've never paid attention to these in my pre-flight. It's 1.5hrs from where I live to where the DA42 is, so I'll have to defer this check to when I'm there next time. Doesn't solve the problem how the water comes in, but if it can get out that's half the problem solved.

Reminds me of my first car almost 50 years ago: a 1965 Triumph Spitfire Mk3, which I drove all year round. Of course the convertible top was not water tight, so a couple of holes drilled in the floor let the water ran out as it came in... Never thought I'd encounter the same problem 50 years later in a "state of the art" twin engine airplane :lol:
Oshkosh99
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by Oshkosh99 »

Rich,
great idea, just not for a regional airport in southern Germany like EDMA... I have to walk what feels like 500ft to get a bucket of water from the nearest sink to clean the bugs off the wings, so I'll have to see how to get the plane next to a water hose... It will have to be at another airport.... Maybe I'll take her to EDNA, where I keep my light sport Savage Cub, would have the added benefit of letting me practise some grass landings...