2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Anon
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: 00000
Airports: CYTZ

DA40NG - First year of ownership update

Post by LimaZulu »

My background: Licensed since 2009 (PPL, night, multi). Didn't do much flying until 2022 as keeping rental currency was a pain in the ass, and I could only stand so many "sightseeing flights". Had ~150hrs TT before 2022. Flew buddy's SR22T for a couple dozen hours while waiting for delivery, nice plane!

Aircraft I flew before: C172, PA44, R22 (didn't finish rotary conversion), and SR22T.

Placed order in Jan 2022, expected delivery Sept 2022, actual delivery February 2023. Went to London, ON factory to pickup. Upon arrival was told pickup won't happen due to one of the cylinders leaking oil. Pickup was rescheduled for 2 weeks later and I got a few Bose headsets out of it.

Subsequent 12 months: Flew ~100hrs, mostly around Ontario and Quebec, with several cross-border flights to the US. Longest being Toronto -> Chicago and Toronto -> Norfolk VA. I like to keep the legs under 3.5hrs at max cruise.

Downtime/unexpected maintenance/post-delivery issues:
For the most part, not terrible but had a few issues:

1. Co-pilot right break inoperative right from the factory, only noticed ~1 month into ownership. AME said it was due to a loose fittings on the brake caliper.
2. Noticed the oil pressure "needle" hopping around +/- 0.2 while in cruise. Replaced sensor, no effect. Still doing it to this day.
3. Some general interior trim issues, messy adhesive applications, and the ceiling air vent not properly secured (kept falling out). Re-secured it manually and cleaned up the adhesive gunk where I found it.
4. After ~6 months started experiencing vibrations on takeoff roll and landing in the 40-60kts speed region. Had it looked at several times, no obvious issues found, but this still occurs.
5. Recent Austro engine SB

Cost:
- Insurance: Full hull, $2M liability. $12k USD/year
- Hangar: $1800 CAD /month at CYKZ, now $2700 CAD / month at CYTZ (yes :( )
- 100hr inspection: $4500 CAD
- Annual: $6500 CAD

Impressions: Great first plane, flies like a dream, very forgiving and awesome avionics. After the SR22T thou, wish it was a little faster :) All in all, zero regrets, would buy again.

Will be starting my IFR when it gets a little warmer. Look forward to upgrading to a DA62 in a couple of years.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Re: DA40NG - First year of ownership update

Post by Steve »

Welcome to the Forum - and thank you! I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past several months to get over the recent 28% increase in my hangar rent to $900/mo. After reading your post I don't feel so bad...
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N419PM
Airports: KHEF

Post by AirWolf »

Awesome read - love these updates!!

Any experiences with the fluttering nosewheel?

Any thoughts on W/B with passengers/luggage? I am guessing you opted out of air conditioning

Did you feel like they would have let you stay in London and flag all the squawks, wait for fixes and verify? Would you have flown more hours for “production testing” at the factory before accepting delivery, if you could do it again?
LimaZulu
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by LimaZulu »

Bunch of random issues with the nosewheel as I had the AME look it over every time it was in service to get to the bottom of the vibration issue.
- Castoring fork was loose. Tightened, no effect on vibrations.
- Steering stop was bent - likely mishandling by the ground crew when towing. Was fixed and replaced "pro bono". No effect on vibrations.
- During Austro SB they removed the fork again, and re-tightened everything. Still no effect on vibrations.

I tried a "soft field" take off while on concrete. Vibrations significantly reduced. I'll keep doing that.

I did opt out from the A/C option, as I'd rather have an extra 70lb of payload for when I need to fly with a bunch of "regular dudes". Me and my wife are skinny (<280lb together) so no issue when its 2 guys and 2 women + small luggage for each couple. Lack of AC in Canada and Norther US is fine, if I was based in Florida, I may have reconsidered...

As for staying in London, that wouldn't have been an option for me as I came with instructor to pick it up (insurance required me to have 10hrs on type before I can be PIC). I also had a Diamond authorized AME at my home airport (which no longer exists) so it was fairly easy to complain and get it fixed under warranty. Unsure if I would want stay in London for a few days (or weeks)....
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Registration: N419PM
Airports: KHEF

Post by AirWolf »

Nice thanks!

I am in the DC area so really debating the AC if I account for the worsening (and lengthening summers)…makes me think resale in 20 years with AC may be better if we are the new Florida.

“2 guys and 2 women + small luggage for each couple.” Yeah that sounds great and I think AC eliminates that flexibility and you cannot even trade gas against it.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Post by alanhawse »

The vibration could be from tires that are out of round... easily caused by lots of touch and gos with hard breaking and other low hour pilot time stuff... (My airplane has had a hard way to go with tires... )

IFR = ASAP!!! most important thing you can do (in my opinion)

Im curious how many hours you flew in the first year?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

LimaZulu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:10 am Bunch of random issues with the nosewheel as I had the AME look it over every time it was in service to get to the bottom of the vibration issue.
Try very light back pressure on the stick to shift a little weight from the NG to MLG once you reach 30-40kts.
LimaZulu
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by LimaZulu »

alanhawse wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:56 pm The vibration could be from tires that are out of round... easily caused by lots of touch and gos with hard breaking and other low hour pilot time stuff... (My airplane has had a hard way to go with tires... )

IFR = ASAP!!! most important thing you can do (in my opinion)

Im curious how many hours you flew in the first year?
I've done just over 100hrs, with exactly zero touch and gos, and always used 3500+ foot runways where aggressive breaking was never required. Had a couple "sideways landings" in heavy crosswind, but nothing beyond that really.
Boatguy wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:16 pm
LimaZulu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:10 am Bunch of random issues with the nosewheel as I had the AME look it over every time it was in service to get to the bottom of the vibration issue.
Try very light back pressure on the stick to shift a little weight from the NG to MLG once you reach 30-40kts.
Yeah, that's what I tried on my last flight, vibrations were reduced. Makes sense, less weight on the nose wheel.
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

LimaZulu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:43 pm aggressive breaking was never required.
Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 8.52.44 AM.png
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22