3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N521DD
Airports: I74 Urbana Ohio

Re: New member introduction & takeaways

Post by DaveS1900 »

Airwolf,
My initial reaction is that you need more than 20 gals to get anywhere. I wouldn't begin your calculation with half tanks as the norm. If once in a blue moon the situation demands a half fuel load.. then that's what you have to do. But I wouldn't go into this thinking everytime you take a family trip you will only be filling to half tanks. Your wife will get tired of your landings. Although on the bright side your kids will get to connect and catch up on their social media stuff every hour.

A DA40 with 40 gal tanks, no A/C, with the higher max weight landing gear, will give the most flexibility regarding the CG and useful load.

Dave S.
Ohio
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N419PM
Airports: KHEF

Post by AirWolf »

FYI quick thread update - have still not had any DA40 time despite my best efforts…local rental N712PA XLS either down for maintenance or cannot make the few checkout windows work.

Flew down to RDU in a C172 and managed to taxi a lot in N268LA but double ECU fail during the “swap demo” later showed a likely prop governor issue so had to head back home with no air time. PS - Lifestyle team super accommodating and obviously disappointed; offered a great remediation option for a do-over in my local area TBD.

So lack of airtime and tracking the latest Austro issues(?) but also the possible AvGas legislation…still interested but not biting yet.

but man honestly…that was an awesome startup (so quiet!) and taxi experience hahahaha
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by AirWolf »

Donkadillapig wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:17 am If I were back in 2020 again, knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have bought a Diamond AND I'm not sure I would have bought an aircraft full stop! ...But I wonder openly how attractive "It" will remain to the subset of new to flying, first time aircraft owners?
Well...I found it hard to believe after a few months offline, seeing another MSB/AD for the NG. Relieved I did not pull the trigger last Summer on a new NG purchase.

To answer the question above - it makes the NG very unattractive, honestly. Auto engine convert seems to be a gamble that failed once Austro took on the block construction themselves, at least.

I honestly thought any prior risks around NG may have been offset by long-term resale value with AvGas future in question...plus other conveniences...but now I'm in the XLT boat. What are folks thoughts on that AvGas tradeoff? Everyone will have to address this yes? No need for me to carry the pail for Euro-uncertainty when I'm sure they'll find a substitute AvGas-compatible here in the USA?
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

AirWolf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:16 am FYI quick thread update - have still not had any DA40 time despite my best efforts…local rental N712PA XLS either down for maintenance or cannot make the few checkout windows work.
If you're still looking for a local ride in a Lycoming DA40, N970DS is back in action at KJYO with flight school Aviation Adventures there:
http://m.aviationadventures.com/airplan ... &_offset=3
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
laserpilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaap
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N2864
Airports: KBWD

Post by laserpilot »

Dear Airwolf,

I had an order going last year for a DA40 NG, then changed to a Lycosaurus because the MSB / AD and short field performance at our ranch. And then cancelled the order, because the lycosaurus doesn't make sense to me anymore. Outside of the US AVGAS is expansive and hard to find. Range and speed are below the NG. So i'm back on the NG track, delivery will be somewhere March ? April. Also changed first from no AC to AC. Lots of help here on the forum. Still contemplating to immediately change the landing lightto XE and the standby instrument to full digital, RC Allen Mini6. The SAM302 is expensive and not as great. ( had that going in my 2006 Meridian ) I will fly the DA40 NG to latin america and jetfuel is the best way to go, even can use diesel if your are at a smaller field. Diesel will always be available.
DA40 NG will be N268PA
AirWolf
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by AirWolf »

Thanks @laserpilot!

That's helpful. I'm quite torn about it. I'd prefer to lean towards the future, consider ultimate resale value, and hope that the MSB/ADs are mostly in the past...but that's certainly a gamble and I do not anticipate many international flight requirements.

Curious what the "deadline" was for swapping XLT<>NG during the ordering process?