1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Jawanza
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N113CL
Airports: KSAV

New DA20-C1 Introduction & Help

Post by akajames »

Hello team. I recently inherited a 1998 DA20-C1 that has sat unflown for one reason or another since 2017. The airplane was hangared, appears to be in excellent condition and complete but logbooks have not yet been found. I suspect it has fewer than 2,000 hrs TT based on the hobbs and Tach. I assume this is the original engine and it will need to be overhauled as I've found corrosion in all cylinders and it is difficult to turn over by hand with plugs out. I see evidence of a propeller strike or failure (cracked propeller in the hangar) and there's a new-appearing Sensenich prop in the hangar also.

I've started talking to a few DA20 owners who are happy to give advice and contacts. I've decided it's worthwhile to overhaul and annual the airplane (add ADS-B and other minor upgrades possible) then get it flying again. If you'd like to share any thoughts on my new situation reply or send a personal message I'd be happy to give you a call. Also looking for mechanics with DA20 experience in the Savannah, GA area. I'll need to pull the wings to get it out of the way as I transition my other airplane into the hangar.

A bit about me: private pilot and flight test professional in the Part 25 world with good knowledge of CAR 3/Part 23 basis (i.e. "small") airplanes. I own a 1972 Piper Arrow II and live in Savannah, GA. I cannot comfortably fly a DA20 at 6'5" so I'll likely never get to experience this bird myself. I might lease to a local flight club or sell it after I understand what she's capable of.
6MA
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA20
Airports: KBAF

Re: New DA20-C1 Introduction & Help

Post by 6MA »

A 6'5" guy in a DA20 brings to mind The Flintstones with Dino the dinosaur poking his head out of the roof of Fred's "car".

If you need a prop let me know.

Good luck with the project!