Diamond Pilots Association 2023 Survey

Information about the Diamond Pilots Association type club.

Moderators: Chris, chili4way

NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Re: Diamond Pilots Association 2023 Survey

Post by NDCDA62 »

I have clearly stated the reasons why and request a reply from Ed.
danno2000
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N270DS
Airports: KAQW

Post by danno2000 »

ememic99 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:31 am
NDCDA62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:59 pm This was always my assumption and, I am in no doubt, many others also, regardless of whether one is a DPA member or not.
Based on what?
For me, it was based on the fact that the original invitation said that the results would be posted on the DPA website, and that the cross-post to the DPA website that extended the invitation was not blocked by a paywall. It was reasonable to infer that the results, when posted to the DPA website as stated, would also not be blocked by a paywall.

I'd also argue that there are many instances where survey participation is the quid pro quo of "please participate, it'll help make our results more valid, and in return, you'll learn more about what others similar to you are experiencing."

I don't dispute Ed's comments about the cost and effort involved in conducting the survey. But that doesn't mean the initial invitation wasn't ambiguous at best regarding whether results would be shared with all participants.

All that said, I appreciate Paul's post summarizing some of the key findings that got posted here for all to see, especially given that those key findings are also behind the paywall on the DPA website.

best,
dan
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

I collected European registered aircrafts owners’ addresses (more than 800) crawling through publicly available data at web sites of different European civil aviation agencies. Practically no help of colleague pilots, no help from DAI at all and no help from service shops. Upon collecting data I checked legality of contacting the owners based on data obtained this way throughout different European legislation.

Out of all European countries only Germany was problematic, their registry is not public and agency refuses to reveal any data based on privacy law. Zero help from German pilots, again claiming privacy issues, even in contacting people they personally know. So DPA contacted totally 12 D-reg owners (mainly persons I know and checked if it was ok to be contacted by DPA) unlike 200 in France or 150 in UK (comparable by size of GA fleet).

Other European countries mainly protect private owners while data of company-registered aircrafts are available.

In the end DPA invested effort and money to put this data to good use, launch survey, establish connections with owners and get other means of communication for the future.

I don’t want to sound harsh but next time someone demands something it would be fair to ask himself/herself how much effort he/she invested to particular cause.
jast
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jan
Aircraft Registration: DIODE
Airports: EDMA

Post by jast »

I fully agree here. You should have the email contact from the survey. Just send it out to everyone who participated. I’m ok if it’s not public.
NDCDA62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:59 pm Ed -

The point is that this was not advised at the time. Anyone spending his or her time to complete the survey has a right to see the final survey result. This was always my assumption and, I am in no doubt, many others also, regardless of whether one is a DPA member or not.

I am also surprised that, in this day and age, with email and social media, there was a need to mail out post cards.

Please advise whether non-DPA members will be given access to the survey results or not.

Thank you.
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

jast wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:31 am I fully agree here. You should have the email contact from the survey. Just send it out to everyone who participated. I’m ok if it’s not public.
NDCDA62 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:59 pm Ed -

The point is that this was not advised at the time. Anyone spending his or her time to complete the survey has a right to see the final survey result. This was always my assumption and, I am in no doubt, many others also, regardless of whether one is a DPA member or not.

I am also surprised that, in this day and age, with email and social media, there was a need to mail out post cards.

Please advise whether non-DPA members will be given access to the survey results or not.

Thank you.
Peter who runs EuroGA forum has great explanation for such type of support.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

Nigel,

I regret any misunderstanding about how the survey results would be distributed. In the survey and the DAN announcement (at the top of this thread), we tried to make it clear that the survey results would only be available to DPA members, in addition to Diamond Aircraft and possibly Diamond's sales/service networks and major component providers.

About This Survey

Participation: Your participation in this survey is entirely voluntary. There is no obligation to answer any or all of the questions. You may disconcontinue your partcipation at any time. There is no compensation offered for taking part in this survey.

Survey Results: The aggregated information from this survey will be shared on the Diamond Pilots Association website. It will be shared with Diamond Aircraft and may also be shared with Diamond's sales and service networks and major component providers.

DAN Announcement

The aggregated results will be published on the DPA Website in February 2024 and shared with Diamond Aircraft.

While we did not share the full survey report, we published the Key Findings section via Paul's/chili4way post on 23 February. The complete 72-page report is available on the DPA Website.

As a gesture of good faith, DPA has created a 90 day free trial period to join DPA to not only access the survey but to also see what the Diamond Pilots Association is trying to accomplish on behalf of Diamond aircraft owners. A 90DAYTRIAL coupon code will extend the free trial period for 90 days and will expire on May 31, 2024.

In addition to seeing material and value on the website, what is not apparent is what we have accomplished in two short years. Not only have we created an organization that spans the globe with members in North America, Europe, Australia and elsewhere, the DPA has:

- met in-person with Diamond Aircraft Industries in both Wiener-Neustadt and London, Ontario many times to build a relationship and lines of communication. Note all of these meetings and travel expenses were borne by the individuals personally.

- created content on the website accessible to all its members. This is only the start. We are constantly adding new content and hope to add videos in the future.

- with our communication channel with Diamond we will be adding a "Ask Diamond" feature to the DPA website that would allow DPA members to ask questions of Diamond Aircraft. Note: this is not to address issues that your Diamond Service Centre could answer nor unique aircraft questions but rather general questions that affect a fleet of aircraft, engines or avionics.

- we have organized social events for Diamond aircraft owners last year and will this year too, often in conjunction with other events such as Sun'n Fun, DiamondFest, Oshkosh, etc. This year we hope to add events in Europe and Australia.

- we are particularly proud of the survey of Diamond owners. This was a massive effort by a few individuals that has provided DPA but also Diamond Aircraft with the most comprehensive assessment of the purchase, ownership and operational experience of aircraft owners including potential upgrades. DPA's survey encompassed twice the number of responses than Diamond's own survey in 2022.

DPA is an all volunteer effort and we are always in need of more assistance; authors for articles, video production, Board of Director positions, etc. Feel free to email me at ed.mcdonald@diamond-pilots.org if you are interested in helping build DPA into a stronger, more effective organization to improve the experience with these remarkable aircraft.

Kind regards,
Ed McDonald
DPA President
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

Good afternoon Ed,

Thank you for your positive reply, clearly given in the spirit of a fellow aviator. Equally, I am sure other Diamond aircraft owners, all potential PMA members, will find your response encouraging and lead to enhanced membership. This was exactly the reply I was expecting from a forward thinking organisation.

I will now visit the PMA website and DM you directly thereafter.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,
Nigel