5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: Austro engine reliability and safety

Post by ememic99 »

Quoting witnesses:
The conditions at the airport at the time of the crash included overcast clouds at 1,200 feet, 1 ¾ miles visibility in light snow and gusting winds, the report says.

Two witnesses who watched the plane depart told investigators that it did so during a period of heavy snowfall, according to the NTSB report.

A witness on the airport property, who was also a flight instructor, reported that the takeoff appeared normal; however, due to the heavy snow fall and restricted visibility at the time, he told his wife to note the time as he did not feel that the flight would have a good outcome.

The flight instructor also noted that the plane was in the clouds when it reached the end of the 5,201-foot-long runway and that he could barely see the windsock at the time because of the heavy snow, according to the report.

Another witness, at a home about a half mile west of the runway, told NTSB investigators that the airplane turned left after takeoff and flew so low over his property “that he could have read the registration number had the snow not been so heavy.

The plane continued in a left circle back toward the airport runway until the second witness could no longer see it due to the low visibility. Then he heard a “crunching sound,” according to the report. The plane came to a rest about a half mile from the runway.
I hope the investigation will find what actually happened but no-IR PPL pilot departing in obvious IMC seems to be the primary cause of this accident.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:46 am Quoting witnesses:
The conditions at the airport at the time of the crash included overcast clouds at 1,200 feet, 1 ¾ miles visibility in light snow and gusting winds, the report says.

Two witnesses who watched the plane depart told investigators that it did so during a period of heavy snowfall, according to the NTSB report.

A witness on the airport property, who was also a flight instructor, reported that the takeoff appeared normal; however, due to the heavy snow fall and restricted visibility at the time, he told his wife to note the time as he did not feel that the flight would have a good outcome.

The flight instructor also noted that the plane was in the clouds when it reached the end of the 5,201-foot-long runway and that he could barely see the windsock at the time because of the heavy snow, according to the report.

Another witness, at a home about a half mile west of the runway, told NTSB investigators that the airplane turned left after takeoff and flew so low over his property “that he could have read the registration number had the snow not been so heavy.

The plane continued in a left circle back toward the airport runway until the second witness could no longer see it due to the low visibility. Then he heard a “crunching sound,” according to the report. The plane came to a rest about a half mile from the runway.
I hope the investigation will find what actually happened but no-IR PPL pilot departing in obvious IMC seems to be the primary cause of this accident.
Which accident are we talking about?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
chili4way
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N718NG
Airports: KADS

Post by chili4way »

I think two different accidents are being discussed in parallel. I'm not sure which one involves a takeoff into IMC.

Nashville (big bore Lycoming)
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/352204
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Rich wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:51 pm
ememic99 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:46 am Quoting witnesses:

Which accident are we talking about?
When Nashville was mentioned I thought it was about this accident (last week, departure to IMC):

Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

ememic99 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:26 pm When Nashville was mentioned I thought it was about this accident (last week, departure to IMC):

I see no mention in this of IMC. The fatal leg was from Kentucky and reported engine problems and crashed near the cleared airport. There seems to be some disorientation involved as it was night.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Certainly this accident had other concerning contributing factors, like reluctance to declare an emergency, flying away from a perfectly good airport.

If you have a sick airplane, especially a single, stay high over an airport and spiral down. Don't go away from it.
wseidel
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Will
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports:

Post by wseidel »

Excuse me if this has been answered - but is there any hard data on AE300 engine failures per flight hour to compare against Lycoming?
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

wseidel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:44 pm Excuse me if this has been answered - but is there any hard data on AE300 engine failures per flight hour to compare against Lycoming?
No.
krellis
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Keith
Aircraft Registration: N853DF
Airports: GA04

Post by krellis »

wseidel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:44 pm Excuse me if this has been answered - but is there any hard data on AE300 engine failures per flight hour to compare against Lycoming?
It will be difficult for you to obtain anything other than anecdotal information on the Austro. Diamond (Austro) for some unknown reason has held that data very close to the vest. The installed base of Austro engines is also quite small compared to Lycoming or Continental.

I would look at all the posts on this forum about the numerous issues (service bulletins and airworthiness directives) on these engines and draw your own conclusions. Fuel injectors, cylinder heads, pistons, turbos, crankshaft cap bolts, etc.

Personally I wouldn’t own an Austro, especially on a DA40. The good news is they are exceptionally docile handling aircraft with best in class safety (like a 26G cage for the occupants).
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

krellis wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:14 am Personally I wouldn’t own an Austro, especially on a DA40. The good news is they are exceptionally docile handling aircraft with best in class safety (like a 26G cage for the occupants).
Like a few others, the determining factor is proximity to an Austro service center. For me since I am still working, I want a service center less than an hour drive, two at most. Reason is there are issues often enough that I need a viable way for a family member to provide drop-off/pickup via car. Once I am retired, I could see it living with a service center up to a three hour drive away.

There is enough anecdotal evidence to go either direction with Austro versus CMI/Lycoming. The real advantage with CMI/Lycoming is there are enough mechanics around and close that know the common problems; that the service issue is not as large a problem.

Tim