Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: OHACS
Airports:

Confusion about "speed kit" options

Post by Kekstrom »

The modifications list inculdes these two options:

OAM 40-105 (NLG speed kit)
OAM 40-106 (MLG speed kit)

Then the equipment list (AFM 6.5) goes on in detail to list all possible fairing options for different kind of landing gear configurations:

LANDING GEAR STANDARD FAIRINGS
-MLG
-NLG
-strut cover
-etc.
-etc

LANDING GEAR SPEED KIT
LANDING GEAR SMALL TIRES AND FAIRINGS or LANDING GEAR TALL MLG WITH FAIRINGS FOR SMALL TIRES

Could this be more confusing? May question basically is, what is the definitio of OAM 40-105 and OAM 40-106? Is it all the fairings under the "LANDING GEAR SPEED KIT" listed in the equipment list?

I have only the wheel fairings for all 3 tires, no strut fairings. I have the NLG assembly replaced with the never/stronger model. My MLG desing is the "original" 2003 meaning MTOW 1150 and MLW 1092 and the MLG wheel size is 6.00-6

Any wise words?
blsewardjr
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Bernie
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N377DS
Airports: KCHO

Re: Confusion about "speed kit" options

Post by blsewardjr »

Kaj- I also have a 2003 DA40. These year models and earlier ones have the "large" tires. I investigated whether I could add a MLG fairing kit or brake cover kit to the large tires. Unfortunately, these fairings only fit the "small" tires. I could have added the NLG fairing but Diamond Canada admitted to me that it was largely cosmetic and offered no obvious speed gains. Also, the NLG comes in two versions, one for no fairings and one for fairings. I chose the former when I added the latest version of the NLG per the MSB. Bernie
Bernie Seward, IR, AGI
2003 DA40 N377DS
KCHO Charlottesville, VA