New Purchase Experience

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

groundsick
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Christian
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports:

New Purchase Experience

Post by groundsick »

I'm curious if anyone in the US has purchased a new Diamond and if so, what the experience was like. If the sales team are knowledgeable, responsive, want what's best for you, etc.
BritInNC
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Mark
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N642BL
Airports: KRDU

Re: New Purchase Experience

Post by BritInNC »

I recently purchased a DA40 NG from Lifestyle Aviation and can tell you that the experience is a little frustrating, but Lifestyle did everything they could to make it an exciting and fulfilling experience. The frustration primarily comes from Diamond who either won’t, or can’t, provide you with basic information that you’d expect from such an expensive purchase (such as when it will be delivered).

My experience may be non-standard. I had ordered a 2024 plane that was supposed to be delivered around September of this year, but an opportunity came up to purchase a new one at 2023 prices for delivery in 2023. Financially it made sense for me so I pulled the trigger even though I am still working on my PPL. For tax reasons the plane needed to be delivered in 2023 and put into service but it was very difficult to find out when delivery would take place until about a week beforehand making it a fretful few months. Lifestyle was very engaged and understood the need for a 2023 delivery and I eventually took delivery on 12/29/23 at 3pm, a smooth process despite the time of year, with only one minor issue that flightstream had not been installed. Something Lifestyle said they would get corrected at their expense.

I would also point out that your interactions with the sales team do not stop when you purchase the plane. I am involved in lifestyles Airshare program (a newer version of Diamondshare that lifestyle is piloting) which keeps me connected to them, but the team there has been great at helping me out with what has been a frustrating first few months of airplane ownership (culminating in the plane being AOG for the recent engine MSB). As a first time airplane owner, and still working towards my PPL, I would not have been able to manage without their knowledge and support.

So in summary, it can be a frustrating experience, but at least Lifestyle did their best to make it as special as it should be given the money involved. However, Diamond (or aircraft manufacturing and certification in general) does not make it easy for them.
groundsick
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Christian
Aircraft Registration: none
Airports:

Post by groundsick »

Thank you.
laserpilot
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Jaap
Aircraft Registration: N2864
Airports: KBWD

Post by laserpilot »

I've bought from Premier and it seems they only get a low reimbursement. Not much communication. Delivery should have been end of February / beginning of March. Had to ask and they responded they have an online sales meeting next week and they will ask :(
DA40 NG will be N268PA