TKS Panel Replacement

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

TKS Panel Replacement

Post by Soareyes »

I am probably going to have to replace a TKS panel on a wing.

All panels are working fine except for the right inboard panel. It doesn’t wet out in flight on Normal or High and just a little on the wasteful High/Max setting. When testing on the ground fluid absolutely pours out along the whole panel except for the distal 12 inches. Hooking up a pressure pump to the individual line, with low or high pressure the panel was drenched except for the final 12 inches. Couldn’t get the last foot of panel to wet out no matter the pressure. We removed the proportioning unit and sent it to CAV. After reinstalling there was no change, good flow on the ground but no better in the air.

CAV says there must be a break in the membrane inside the panel and that is why there is no flow from the distal 12-18 inches even when high pressure is applied. How does a strip of material encased inside a titanium sleeve break? They say the reason it looks good on the ground but not in flight is because of ram air effect on the TKS panel when flying. Replacing the panel is the next step.

Always ran the system monthly. The problem started a few months ago between one month and the next.

One year out of warranty of course.

The panels are not designed to be easily replaced. There is potential to mess up the wing. Paint repair may be required. It would be nice to find someone with experience doing this on a Diamond. Premier in Florida said they can't do it and that it should go to the factory. The factory said sorry, too busy, call a service center. I found a number of shops that have replaced panels on a Cirrus but so far only a place in Ohio that has done this on one DA62. Anybody here have suggestions or a recommendations for a shop that has done this on a Diamond?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2024-03-15 at 11.22.25 AM.png
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
Chris
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: N449TS
Airports: KHIO

Re: TKS Panel Replacement

Post by Chris »

Soareyes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:16 pm The panels are not designed to be easily replaced. There is potential to mess up the wing. Paint repair may be required. It would be nice to find someone with experience doing this on a Diamond. Premier in Florida said they can't do it and that it should go to the factory. The factory said sorry, too busy, call a service center. I found a number of shops that have replaced panels on a Cirrus but so far only a place in Ohio that has done this on one DA62. Anybody here have suggestions or a recommendations for a shop that has done this on a Diamond?
It seems a bit insane to me that the factory shop is "too busy" to provide this sort of maintenance, which is something that I would defintely want to be handled by the factory. At least one of my TKS panels was replaced at the factory by its previous owner, so I know it was possible at one time.

It feels like Diamond Canada is too far out over its skis trying to build new planes (and fixing the frequently-reported squawks in them) to effectively support the existing fleet.

I would guess that the job isn't all that different for the DA42/62 than it is for the Cirrus. That said, I would probably start calling any and all of the DASCs to see if any of them is comfortable doing the job. At least they would have extensive experience with the airframe and systems as well as a better communication channel for factory support.
Chris
N449TS / DA42-NG / 42.AC049
KHIO
Soareyes
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N518R
Airports: KINF

Post by Soareyes »

The conversation with several shops so far has gone along the lines of "Never done it before but sure, we can do that." Being facetious here but I'm reminded of the old ad for AAMCO Transmission: "Let me try boss, I always wanted to fix a transmission!" :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14yL8zW4ybc
Current: DA42-V1

Previous: Hang gliders, Paraglider, DA40(x3), Cessna 150 Aerobat, SR22
nickname
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Noah
Aircraft Registration: N112NG
Airports: KPDX

Post by nickname »

I pinged mechanic at KLGB and it's something they've done and will do. Quite a flight based on your home field, but one data point, if that helps.
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Post by mfdutra »

Sorry to hear. FIKI is nice, but this TKS system is a f* PITA.

Whoever does it, make sure they do the first flight, maybe even including a stall series.