3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N263DS
Airports: KMHR

Re: Steam DA40 to Glass

Post by steve_falconer »

It is possible if you have the resistive fuel senders for fuel level to get rid of the fuel gauges. It seems like at some point that it will be possible with capacitive fuel gauges, but it isn’t today. I left room next to my GI275 backup to add an another GI275 EIS instead, because I wanted more room on the GDU for the MFD and PFD. If you have EIS on the GDU it takes up space permanently on the screen, but it’s decibels an option. You can use the simulator to see what it looks like.

The avionics shop (technician is also an A&P IA) offered that as an option, but it was crazy expensive because of the need to remove the wings to install new fuel senders which aren’t that easy to install without crossing threads. Experimental Garmin equipment supports capacitive fuel senders, but not for certificated aircraft yet. There is also a box that can be programmed to translate capacitive signals to a voltage, but it would also need to be independently calibrated before again calibrating the EIS. But more importantly it’s only for experimental as, as well.

The avionics shop thinks that support for capacitive fuel senders is on the roadmap. Another thing to keep in mind is that capacitive fuel senders are generally more accurate than resistive.

When I’d asked about how the G1000 is supported with RIS he said that they used resistive fuel senders.

I could also retain the capacitive fuel senders have and have had everything but fuel gauges replaced and shown on the GDU or a separate GI275 EIS, but I would have needed to retain the VM1000 DPU and I could have had a strange mix where the VM1000 was primary for fuel and disconnected for other things, but I don’t want to be that unique of a snowflake.
2003 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, G500 TXi/GDU1060, GI275, 530W/430W, KAP140, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly/Rt Mag, GDL88, Flightstream 210, Whalen LED Strobes, PMA450B
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Re: Steam DA40 to Glass

Post by jwx96 »

I believe both the EI and JPI monitors accept the signals from the Diamond capacitive senders. I asked Savvy for their advice on a VM1000 replacement and they favored the EDM930. It would obviously have to go on the right side of the panel where the VM1000 is now. Personally I would prefer a GI275 on the left side if it worked.