2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Noah
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: N112NG
Airports: KPDX

Left Fuel Gauge Failure (Red X) / Inboard Sensor Fail

Post by nickname »

Ran into this last week, my left fuel gauge is showing a red X. Troubleshooted connectors with an A&P to no avail. In the G1000 maintenance mode, it's showing the sensor input for "Left 1" as a blank line while the sensor input for "Right 1" has a number. There are values for "Left 2" and "Right 2" which seem to be the outboard sensors/probes.

Has anyone run into a similar issue before? Found some other threads where folks ran into fuel contamination and flushing fixed the problem, or connectors were the issue. It's seeming like this is an actual hard fail of the inboard fuel sensor - looking for any guidance before I take it to the shop for replacement, which will require taking the wing off (weeks of AOG). :(
Attachments
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg
mfdutra
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Marlon
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N272DD
Airports: KHWD

Re: Left Fuel Gauge Failure (Red X) / Inboard Sensor Fail

Post by mfdutra »

I had the same problem on my DA62. There was an accumulation of TKS in the wing root and that corroded the fuel sensor electronics. The wing had to be removed and it sure is a lot of work.

You may be lucky if it’s just a wiring issue.

And you are AOG already. It’s not legal to fly without a fuel sensor.
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Re: Left Fuel Gauge Failure (Red X) / Inboard Sensor Fail

Post by YokotaFTC »

We had a RT Fuel Temp Sensor failure "out of the box" (after assembly and initial engine run) failed on preflt for first check flt. Similar troubleshot from sensor to GEA71 input, then ran jumper from left temp sensor to rt side and vice versa to confirm sensor failure was not wiring. Pulled wing, but just enough to reach tank bulkhead panel to allow R2 of sensor and not have to pull wing main harness out.
Attachments
wing open 1.jpg
tank access.jpg