Reaper30
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Bob
Aircraft Type: DA40
Airports: KPOC

Help on Buying a DA 40

Post by Reaper30 »

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and have been reading a number of topics associated with the DA 40. I have a PPL w/ IR and a commercial rating for helicopter. Even though I fly helicopters as part of my job, I enjoy flying planes for fun! I have been flying Cessna's for a number of years and was recently introduced to the DA. What an airplane!!! So for the past year, I have been looking all over for a well kept DA. I recently found several DA40's of the early years with steam gauges and garmin IFR packages (2002-2003). I have read that most everyone owns the later years w/G1000 avionics. Unfortunately right now I don't have that much of a budget. So, I am sure everyone will say pay the extra for the G1000 (2004 and greater) but what I am looking for are some opinions on the 2002-2003 years and if they have any known mechanical or structural problems associated with those particular years different than those already posted.

So far, this forum has been an outstanding resource for help!
Lance Murray
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Lance
Airports:

Re: Help on Buying a DA 40

Post by Lance Murray »

The steam gage airplanes are great. They have a better CG and greater useful load. They are every bit as fast in real world use. I have both airplanes right now. My steam gage airplane just feels better to fly and it is worth 50k less then the DA40XL.

As long as the maintenance manual is followed I can't think of any big issues to look for. these are good airplanes. Later you can upgrade the avionics as you see fit. The only thing that I would make sure to advise you on is to get one with the autopilot. You cannot retrofit the airplane later with autopilot and not having one will affect the resale of your airplane in a big way.
Thomas
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: D-ENMA 40.337
Airports: LSZC BUOCHS SWITZERLAND

Post by Thomas »

I bought a low hour 2003 steam DA40 three years ago. Garmin 430 and CAP140 a/p. So far no snag at all, I keeep it in a hangar ..it looks like new. Just buy one with a/p.
The biggest thing maintenance wise is the 5j rudder cable replacement issue. I think this will be waived soon by DA. So have a look when it was done.
The plane is fun... worth every $.
Thomas Bienz DA40-180 40.337 D-ENMA (sold 08/2022)
Home Airport LSZC Buochs Switzerland
Reaper30
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Reaper30 »

Thanks for your suggestions! I too agree with the A/P. Both A/C that I am looking at have the KAP 140. Having the A/P was going to be one of the "must have" items before buying! It appears that both A/C have been hangared and have not been used in a flight school which is also what I am looking for.

Thanks for your helpful responses!

Bob
Chromer
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Daryl
Aircraft Registration: CGPDN
Airports: CYLW

Post by Chromer »

I had my heart set on a glass cockpit, price was a little more than I wanted to spend but still wanted it. I looked for two years. A 2002 came up, spent an hour on the phone with the salesman, he had been selling Diamonds since they started building them in Canada. Don't get me wrong, glass cockpit would be nice but I love my plane. I have AP and 530 and 430. I don't think that you will go wrong without the glass.
Steve
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Registration: N432SC
Airports: 1T7

Post by Steve »

I own a 2001 DA40. Very few problems in more than 11 years of ownership. As long as the aircraft has been maintained well, you shouldn't have any difficulty.

Steve
Reaper30
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Reaper30 »

Thanks for your suggestions! The one's I am looking at have the 430/530 combo which is sort of what I trained in during my IFR trng. I too would like the glass but for the price I am comfortable with having the Garmin combo!!

Thanks for the help!!

Bob
Gary
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Gary
Aircraft Registration: N286DS
Airports: KSAW

Post by Gary »

It is possible to upgrade a steam gauge DA40 to glass if you have WAAS capable 530/430 units. It's not cheap but unlike the A/P at least it is possible. I flew my steam gauge 2003 DA40 for a few years before converting to glass.
Attachments
G500 panel.JPG
G500 panel.JPG (160.17 KiB) Viewed 3152 times
Antoine
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Antoine
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N121AG
Airports: LSGG

Post by Antoine »

I can only encourage you to buy the DA40, no matter what avionics - avionics are just the topping on this well made cake and you get a "full" DA40 no matter if it is G1000 equipped or not.

So many navigation and situational awareness apps are available in portable devices (garmin, ipad and so on).

Of course, the G1000 is a terrific avionics suite but let us be fair: you get 90% of the functionality for a fraction of the price if you accept a less integrated solution.
You may even get features which the G1000 cannot deliver, such as a usable VFR moving map and VHF charts.

This won't buy you the rock solid IFR capability of a G1000, but it will be close, and you'll get flexibility and extra payload as a bonus. And we have to keep in mind that regardless of the avionics, the DA40 remains a limited IFR platform - bizjet avionics don't really make up for the lack of de-icing and climb-through power...
Reaper30
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Post by Reaper30 »

I will be flying out to look at one very soon! Again, thanks for your help! This forum has been extremely useful!!