Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: NANA
Airports: LESU

Re: New MSB about to be issued

Post by KJH »

robert63 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:19 pm
KJH wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:11 pm
RookieFlyer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:21 pm

As one intending to place an order for a new DA62 next year, I certainly hope not.

My perception of DAI as a company, is that they are capital starved, therefore keeping cash flow rolling is going to be paramount to their survival. They are caught between a rock and a hard place on this.
Does anyone know if their financial statements are public, there may be an Austrian equivalent of the UK Companies House portal that you can get these from?
Yes, it is available. I checked it and they are quite profitable and healthy.
Good, so hopefully they can afford to fix it, and it's more about the logistics. Do you have a link to where you found the accounts?
Thanks
robert63
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Robert
Aircraft Type: DA42NG
Aircraft Registration: OE-FAR
Airports: LOWL

Post by robert63 »

KJH wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:26 pm Good, so hopefully they can afford to fix it, and it's more about the logistics. Do you have a link to where you found the accounts?
Thanks
You have to pay for that information. But its just a few Euros. You need to sign up with a provider. I use https://auszug.at
haykinson
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: ilya
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N724LA
Airports: KSMO

Post by haykinson »

Will Diamond Canada be paying for this, or is this entirely on Austro and Diamond Austria? I don't know if their corporate structure is going to be putting the Canadians on the hook for this.
Mdm0515
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: None
Airports:

Post by Mdm0515 »

Where I did all my flight training. A very good outfit and very safety and maintenance conscious. Because of the size of their Diamond fleet they’ve also been ‘first responders’ in alerting DAI to many of the issues with the Austro engines, including the turbo hose failure which I experienced at 4500’. Blue Line is a bit of a canary/coal mine asset for anyone interested in high flight hour issues re Austro. I know that their head A&P wishes that DAI adhered to a number of his suggestions/observations over the past five years.

Donkadillapig wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:54 pm I passed through KJNX on Thursday... home of Blueline Flight school, they have something like 20+ DA40NGs and a few Austro 42s. Had a really interesting chat with a couple of line guys there. We might not have fully appreciated the amount of engine issues Blueline has had that don't (thankfully) make it to NTSB reports... anecdotal but they have been apparently "plagued" with Austro engine issues in the last year in their obviously high cadence environment.

Personally, I sorta had my head in the sand in my '21 200hr plane that still (for now) flies like a dream.

I am due at Southec on Nov 2nd for a routine oil change and AD inspection... Hopefully I'll learn a bit more about this situation and will report back if able.
Ed McDonald
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ed
Aircraft Type: DA62NG
Aircraft Registration: CFPWP
Airports: CFB6

Post by Ed McDonald »

I believe that there has been an over reaction on this this forum/thread regarding the Austo engine issue. There is no doubt that this is a serious issue however I think the alarm expressed by some is a bit too much.
On the issue of Diamond/Austro's liquidity and it ability to pay for this MSB, I don't think they are anywhere near a bankruptcy situation (as shown in the previous post) as well as a full order book for as far as the eye can see. This is going to hit their profitability for sure but it certainly won't break them.
The cost of the MSB is being borne entirely by Diamond/Austro, including the oil sampling. No owner is out of pocket on this including the core changes nor the replacement of the pistons, piston rings, and connecting rod assemblies. For those that get a core replacement, you get a brand new core (upon which TBR's are based) so essentially the TBR clock is reset at no cost although that does not change the component overhaul periods.
For Group 1 and 2 engines, it appears to be a case of monitoring the oil analysis (which should be done anyways) with the cost being paid by Diamond/Austro. For Group 3 and 4 engines the same thing but with the prospect of a replacement of the pistons/piston rings/con-rod assembly or core replacement before 900/1000 hours, respectively.
Obviously no one likes a MSB like this and it will be disruptive but I think, based upon the briefings I have had from my Diamond dealer, that Diamond/Austro has done their homework and they are working tirelessly to minimize the disruption.
As unfortunate as this is, $hit happens in all industries. Car manufacturers are not immune from recalls, for example. The measure of how good an organization is is not the original screw up but the recovery from it. So far, I think Diamond/Austro has done as well as can be expected by any organization under this circumstance.
This is not the first time an aircraft engine has faced a major issue - I believe that Lycoming had a big one years ago regarding a crankshaft (I am going by memory). More recently, Rolls-Royce had an issue with their Trent engines that power the Boeing 787 and I recall seeing British Airways and Virgin Airlines B787's, valued at approximately $1/4 billion dollars each, parked at Heathrow with engines missing while that problem got sorted out.
Time will tell how serious of an issue this is by the number of engines showing aluminum values greater than 8 ppm however I can't agree with all of the Diamond/Austro slagging on this thread.
Donkadillapig
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Steve
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N812LA
Airports: KFCI

Post by Donkadillapig »

Ed,
thank you so very much for that perspective. Deep breath indeed :)
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

Ed McDonald wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:47 pm The cost of the MSB is being borne entirely by Diamond/Austro, including the oil sampling. No owner is out of pocket on this including the core changes nor the replacement of the pistons, piston rings, and connecting rod assemblies.
First, you are correct in that while Austro has created enormous uncertainty for hundreds of owners, the exact impact is not known to all and probably will not be until the AD is issued. I personally dodged this bullet as my engine is not on the list.

Group 3 list over 400 DA40NGs. As of a year ago we estimated there were only 153 in DAI-C's region. Irrespective of where they are located, those airplanes just had their engine life cut in half. Some number of them should be grounded immediately.

Group 4 lists over 500 engines and 250 twin engine aircraft who have also had their engine life cut in half.

The impacts to those owners are considerably more than inconvenience.

I receive regular updates from Diamond/Austro tech pubs and I did not receive this draft MSB. I believe it was intended for fleet operators and DSCs, not private owners. They clearly were not expecting private owners to be on the video conference as they would not accept questions from private owners. What I read in the MSB is as follows:

Costs for labour and parts related to the applicability of this MSB will be covered by Austro Engine GmbH warranty under the limitations outlined in paragraph 3.2 and within the currently valid GTC. Additional fees for oil samples required by this MSB will be covered by Austro Engine GmbH warranty under its currently valid GTC only for oil analysis performed at Spectro or Oelcheck laboratories. For engine units affected by this MSB and approaching end TBO/TBR deadline pro‐rate solutions will be offered on a case to case basis.

GTC 3.2:

Costs of any modification requested by the Customer or caused by circumstances not known to DAI at the time of the conclusion of the Contract shall be priced separately and are under the sole responsibility of the Customer.

1) Would you please point me to the source of the assertion that Austro is bearing all the expense? If you are aware of a communication to private owners wherein Austro expanded the coverage described in GTC 3.2, I would appreciate seeing it posted.

2) Unless Austro is going to announce they've known about this for a long long time, thus opening themselves up to some pretty serious liability claims, then for many owners Austro will assert that the issue was not known to DAI at the "conclusion of the Contract" (the meaning of which is admittedly vague), and the owner will bear all the cost.

3) "All measures must be carried out by a certified engine station and certified engine mechanics."

This is not a DIY thing. Hundreds of owners are going to be seeing their DSC twice as often as before this MSB. How many owners have a DSC on their home field, or even with 50nm? Just taking the oil samples is going to be a burden.

4) Even if Austro decides every engine with an AL > 8ppm will be replaced at their expense, we know they can't build them very quickly. Earlier this year we received notice that orders for new engines would need to be placed a full year in advance. Deliveries of new aircraft have repeatedly been blamed on Austro "supply chain issues". That notice also advised us that the cost of TBO's was prohibitive which is why Austro would no longer be performing them.

Now Austro is suggesting that DSCs are going to be rebuilding the 900 engines for 600+ aircraft in Tables 3 and 4? Last year we saw enormous delays and extended AOG time just to replace the HPP or oil pump. This is an entire engine disassembly and rebuild. I seriously doubt that most DSCs have the skills, facilities, or available labor to tear down, rebuild and bench test Austro engines.

5) A cloud has been placed over every aircraft with an engine in Tables 1-4. The first step by every broker, and every pre-buy is going to be to compare the engine(s) in the plane to the engines on the list. The resale value of those planes has been diminished until a new engine is installed. Austro won't be covering that loss of value.

6) Based on the webinar, Dan posted: "The less expensive fix will be replacing just the pistons and some internal parts but they don't have any good ones available at this time. They expect to have new and improved pistons by February, 2023."

Is Diamond going to stop shipping new aircraft until April or May? Will the FAA, EASA or TC permit planes with a known engine defect to be certified for delivery? Are owners going to accept delivery of planes with a known defect?

I don't believe the comments here represent "an over reaction".
thommy152
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Thomas
Aircraft Registration: N271CF
Airports: 16J

Post by thommy152 »

I’ve got a DA62 with an expected delivery date of March 2023. Is my plane likely to be delivered with engines that have known issues?
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

Ed McDonald wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:47 pm This is not the first time an aircraft engine has faced a major issue - I believe that Lycoming had a big one years ago regarding a crankshaft (I am going by memory).
This is absolutely incomparable with Lycoming issue you’re quoting. That MSB/AD didn’t affect engine recommended TBO (2000 hours/12 years) nor it required any owner’s action in the meantime. It was related to defected crankshaft that had to be replaced at TBO or engine opening if done prior to TBO.
MackAttack
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Joel
Aircraft Registration: N251JM
Airports: KIWS

Post by MackAttack »

Just catching up on this thread. Been traveling with my trusty PT6 engine last several days … *laughing*

Not great news of course … my 62 is scheduled for delivery in December 2022. Sounds like it will be coming with bad pistons. Looks like I need the extended warranty … which I was planning to get anyway. And at some point, will have to go in for new engines during the warranty period at DAI’s expense. Plus all the oil analysis. Not sure what “group” the engines in newly-delivered planes will be …

For those of you expecting delivery in 2023, I’m guessing that at some point the problem will be solved on the go-forward.

GA has this kind of thing. Cessna/Beech, Piper, and others have gone through this sort of thing. Especially early in the life of airframes. Lycoming and Continental have too. The fleet numbers are just too small and some problems don’t get noticed for awhile. My Piper M600 had an AD issued early i its life for wing spar inspections that took the whole fleet off line for a bit. And the service life of my airplane was reduced to 5000 hours while they solve a fastener issue and get it approved (a similar thing happened on King Airs if memory serves). You have to be a bit sanguine about this sort of thing if you’re flying GA…

The key is how the company responds and so far the response looks positive on the whole.