3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Alan
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N314KY
Airports: 27K

Re: Electronic checklist update voodoo

Post by alanhawse »

Steve wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:54 pm Well, I was being a little snarky. But the paper checklists do have some advantages:

- Easily modified
- Always instantly available
- Don't require electrical power
- Format familiarity - it is what I've been using for 42 years...
I totally agree with this list. (particularly the last one)

The last point you made is I think the most important of your points. I think that it is critical that we all develop a disciplined process that works when we are under stress.
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

dmloftus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:55 pm As an engineer myself (as is Alan), I'm wondering how you deduced that that was the right flow?
Well... I suppose a simple answer is I am brutally hardheaded.

But the real answer is I knew it could work. So I designed a list of experiments - literally on a piece of paper.

Then I went to the hanger... plugged in the GPU and got to it until I got it working.

Alan

P.S. I work in Software as well... so I agree with you on the quality issue. What I can't figure out is WHY the checklists work differently than the nav data.
ingramleedy
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Ingram
Aircraft Registration: N238PS
Airports: KBOW

Post by ingramleedy »

This worked like a charm.. Actually it found the checklist.gcl file on the top MFD slot on the first try. Note that in Windows you have to show file extensions to make sure the extension is .gcl and the file is spelled correctly.
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

FWIW, after my first year of Epic E1000 ownership, I recently completed 3 days of recurrent annual training (required for insurance renewal) at the Epic Aircraft factory in Bend, OR -- where the factory instructor pilot forced me to start using the G1000 NXi electronic checklists on the MFD for all emergencies (practiced in Epic's simulator with G1000 NXi, and in the real aircraft).

I had never used the electronic checklists in any of our Diamonds, nor had I taught their use during Diamond transition training. (It didn't help that the DA62 G1000 NXi didn't support electronic checklists with its original software.)

But I'm now a convert...Even if you don't use the electronic checklists in your Diamond for everyday normal/routine flight activities, you might consider learning how to use them just for emergencies. I suggest you hook your plane up to ground power in the hangar, boot up the G1000 (NXi), and learn how quickly you can bring up the list of emergency checklists on the MFD.

Note: If you've been watching any of the YouTube videos of Diamond Austria test/demo/ferry flights, you'll see that Diamond's factory pilots *always* use the electronic checklists for their flights -- not just for emergencies.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
NDCDA62
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Nigel
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: DINDC
Airports: EDRY

Post by NDCDA62 »

I always use the electronic check lists Chris. As you say, it takes a bit of effort to start with but, thereafter, you appreciate just how useful they are and, having to physically check the box ensures you do not skip a check.

Still waiting for ForeFlight to include the DA62 Check List in the aircraft type. Can everyone visiting Oshkosh this week give them a kind reminder.

Thanks !
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

Does anyone have a DA40 with G1000 and KAP 140 Autopilot checklist for Garmin Pilot that they could share?

Thanks,

Tim
alanhawse
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by alanhawse »

alanhawse wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:57 pm
Mjwatlanta wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:41 am I love looking at checklists! Please post. No liability concerns - we are pilots and at the end of the day we are responsible for what we check or don’t. But a list that might be better than what we are now using will help us all be safer.
https://github.com/iotexpert/g1000nxi-da40ng-checklist
I just updated my checklist and updated it on github

The new thing is I added a category called "maneouvers" as part of my CFI checkride. It has checklists for all the private and commercial maneouvers