SW loader card for owners as backup

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

SW loader card for owners as backup

Post by Charles K »

Hi

Does anyone know if the owner of a G1000 aircraft is supposed to be able to request a loader card with the software and config files for their airplane as an emergency backup - or does it depend upon the relationship with your shop?

I have read various posts about this - but would like to hear opinions as to our 'right' to have a backup loader card for our aircraft.

Many thanks!

Charles
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: SW loader card for owners as backup

Post by Boatguy »

I'm not aware of any "right" to have a card. That's kind of a legal "right to repair" question that I suspect nobody has taken to court to get a judgement upon. It also may flirt with some FAA/TC/EASA certified aircraft regulations. The policy of both Diamond and Garmin is that your shop should be doing anything that requires a s/w loader card. Any Garmin or Diamond DSC is supposed to be able to download a card if/when needed. That said, the GTX345R in my new 40NG was incorrectly programmed by the factory and both a Garmin shop and the Diamond field service personnel were unable to resolve the problem. Ultimately a DSC corrected the programming.

My experience is that a shop may provide you with a card...
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

FWIW, I noticed that new Diamonds built by the Diamond Austria factory (including my DA42-VI and DA62) included a G1000/NXi software loader SDcard, but none of the planes I delivered from the Diamond Canada factory ever included one.

Of course once the first software update becomes available, you're at the mercy of the Garmin shop that upgraded your G1000 to give you the new loader SDcard they created after they're done using it, or (if you already have one) to update your original software loader SDcard to the new software. That's where having a good personal relationship with the Garmin shop can pay off. If you don't ask, you won't get one.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Charles K
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Charles
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N5WU
Airports: KCCR

Post by Charles K »

Thanks

I have the request out to a shop that I have a good relationship with.
Charles
KCCR Based
N5WU - 2004 G1000 DA40 40.400, GTX345R ADS-B, WAAS Upgraded in 2021 via Diamond Upgrade Program
IFR and ME Rated - Advanced Ground Instructor Rated