2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: DScot
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: N138UA
Airports: RJTY

Thanks for the add....

Post by YokotaFTC »

New DA40NG owner/operators - We're an AF Flight Training Center located on US Air Base in Tokyo, Japan, providing recreational flying, private pilot training, and Tokyo tours. We're currently operating 4 Tech advanced (heavily STC'd but aging) C172s, we're due to receive our first 2 of 3 DA40NGs this month (third one mid to late next year followed shortly by a DA42). Looking forward to that "new aircraft smell". Lots to learn, hoping to bounce several questions and get tech/support tips from this community. Thanks again for the add.

Scot
Chief Mechanic, A&P/IA (student pilot)
Yokota Flight Training Center (Aero Club)
374 FSS/FSWA
Yokota AB, Tokyo, Japan
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Airports:

Re: Thanks for the add....

Post by michael.g.miller »

Woah, all the way from Japan! I just got back from flying my DA42 around the world.

We flew through Japan and had an amazing time. Kaohsiung, Taiwan - Kagoshima - Yao (Osaka) - Toyama (to visit Kanazawa) - Ryugasaki (Tokyo) - Hakodate - Kushiro (tech stop) - Adak Alaska.

All I can say is.. Japan was exceptionally friendly toward General Aviation. Even as English-speakers, we were easily able to navigate through Japan's airports, with a little Google translate. And flying around Fuji and Skytree was a bucket list item for sure! I was shocked how open the airspace was when flying VFR.

And the DA42 is a perfect bird for Japan. Avgas was insane, I think over $16/gal, but you would know better. We paid around $4/gal for JET almost everywhere in Japan. World Fuel Services was super helpful in this regard, they handled all the taxes, and I just made them a simple bank transfer with Wise.

Out of curiosity, do you rent to non-military? And can I land my N-reg bird at Yokota? It would certainly be a lot more convenient than Ryugasaki!
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

YokotaFTC wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:15 am Looking forward to that "new aircraft smell". Lots to learn, hoping to bounce several questions and get tech/support tips from this community.
Welcome! I flew a 40NG for four years and I think your club will enjoy it. Very convenient that it will burn whatever Jet-A they are pumping for the rest of the AF fleet! I'm sure the community will be happy to answer any question they can.
arksat
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tosh
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N00000
Airports: KHWD

Post by arksat »

Welcome Scot! I'm originally from Yokohama, Japan, and now live and fly in the US for over 10 years.
It's great to hear the Diamond fleet flies in Japan.
Looking forward to seeing the picture of your new birds!
TimS
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Timothy
Aircraft Registration: N1446C
Airports: 6B6 Stowe MA

Post by TimS »

Welcome! Enjoy the new planes, they are a treat to fly.
Just curious, what is the plan with the older C172 planes?

Tim
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by YokotaFTC »

michael.g.miller wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:55 am Woah, all the way from Japan! I just got back from flying my DA42 around the world.

We flew through Japan and had an amazing time. Kaohsiung, Taiwan - Kagoshima - Yao (Osaka) - Toyama (to visit Kanazawa) - Ryugasaki (Tokyo) - Hakodate - Kushiro (tech stop) - Adak Alaska.

All I can say is.. Japan was exceptionally friendly toward General Aviation. Even as English-speakers, we were easily able to navigate through Japan's airports, with a little Google translate. And flying around Fuji and Skytree was a bucket list item for sure! I was shocked how open the airspace was when flying VFR.

And the DA42 is a perfect bird for Japan. Avgas was insane, I think over $16/gal, but you would know better. We paid around $4/gal for JET almost everywhere in Japan. World Fuel Services was super helpful in this regard, they handled all the taxes, and I just made them a simple bank transfer with Wise.

Out of curiosity, do you rent to non-military? And can I land my N-reg bird at Yokota? It would certainly be a lot more convenient than Ryugasaki!
Unfortunately we are not accessible for non gov ID holders. One of the reasons (other than aging fleet) we are moving to the diesel austros is our cessnas are STC'd for unleaded and the accessibility of high octane non ethynol unleaded fuel is getting harder to get. we can easily obtain JetA on base and literally anywhere for cross country flights.
YokotaFTC
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member

Post by YokotaFTC »

TimS wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:55 pm Welcome! Enjoy the new planes, they are a treat to fly.
Just curious, what is the plan with the older C172 planes?

Tim
our T41s are slotted to head to another AF flight training center, unfortunately one of them will be needing a new engine as we just recently suffered a "metallic component breakdown" and lots of glitter in the oil, and one of our M models (keeping one for tour flight purposes) will go to DRMO Auction.
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

Is it possible to get a short term government ID in Japan, or is it for citizens and residents only?
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
michael.g.miller
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Mike
Airports:

Post by michael.g.miller »

Colin wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:00 am Is it possible to get a short term government ID in Japan, or is it for citizens and residents only?
If you’re interested in flying in Japan, I can connect you with some flight schools. One in Tokyo (technically Ryugasaki), and one in Kagoshima. The CFIs generally speak decent English (many trained in the US), and google translate works great for communicating with office workers. You probably can’t fly solo but can absolutely fly with an instructor.

Just let me know if you’re interested and I can connect you.