2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: VHYRI
Airports: YSBK

Oil? on prop

Post by Steve77 »

I have a 3 month old DA40NG. When I arrived at the aircraft I noticed a light “spray” of a clear substance (I presume oil but given it was fairly clear wonder if it might be gearbox oil) on the propeller blades. Both engine and gearbox oil levels were normal. Any idea why this might happen? Has anyone seen this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Re: Oil? on prop

Post by Boatguy »

Clear does suggest gearbox and not engine. Is it evenly across all blades? You're sure it's oil or grease? Was it recently serviced?

The first thing I'd do is remove the spinner and see if it's coming from one the prop bearings, or some other visible source.

There should definitely not be oil or grease on the prop of a new plane.
Steve77
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Stephen
Aircraft Type: DA40NG
Aircraft Registration: VHYRI
Airports: YSBK

Post by Steve77 »

Thanks! That’s what I would have thought. Not recently serviced (it’s only done 70 hrs). Fairly evenly distributed, although perhaps a bit more on one of the prop blades than the others. I’m assuming gearbox oil since that is used by the governor. The gearbox oil sight glass is always totally full on my aircraft (no oil level visible at all), so I suppose I wondered whether there were any circumstance where oil could be vented (and end up on the prop) if it were overfilled say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dmloftus
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N868US
Airports: KLZU

Post by dmloftus »

There are many DAN threads on prop grease on the blades

viewtopic.php?t=5054&hilit=prop&start=10

viewtopic.php?t=5054&hilit=prop&start=10

viewtopic.php?t=8524

After my last prop OH done directly at MT US headquarters in Deland FL, MT explained that new and recently overhauled props can sling a bit of grease onto the blades for the first 10-20 hours as the seals fully seat. After that time, the seals should not sling any significant grease until they begin to wear out, indicating time for a reseal or overhaul. A small amount of grease can look like a lot when it is being spun at 2400 RPM and spread by 150kt winds. I agree the best initial diagnostic is removing the spinner, taking meticulous pictures, and discussing directly with Brett at MT. They are extremely helpful.