G1000 dead end (split from G1000 NXi Phase III)

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Re: G1000 NXi Phase III

Post by ememic99 »

pietromarx wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:30 am I think MHoran's point is right on the money: the idea of having to remanufacture an airplane to obtain some slightly improved PCBs (printed circuit boards) is absurd. When originally offered by Diamond and Garmin, the idea was that the G1000 would be "future proof" with easy updates through the LRUs and with software. I spent a lot of time with the product manager at Garmin on this as I had one of the very first ones ... and having a background building chips, software, systems, and PCBs it is also a comfortable place for me. Without having specifics, I can guesstimate that the bill of materials (BOM) for the G1000NXi's upgrade over the G1000 is less than the smartphone you're probably reading this on.

The truly galling part is that this was (is) an entirely human decision made by someone at Diamond, probably made because there was no direct ROI demonstrated. There is no reason that the regulators wouldn't approve a new STC or that a product or service couldn't be provided. (I once faced a similar issue at a company I worked at who felt that installing Wi-Fi at the office needed to have an ROI calculation ... in a eerily parallel universe to Diamond, they went from being a leader in their industry to less than half the size of their smarter competitor.)

Even today I am working on some aviation-related stuff. For example, I have an effort going on putting cellular (yes, "5G") into a fleet of fully certificated helicopters that fly in urban environments 24/7/365 in the public safety space. The effort of getting those devices installed - and I won't go into the details other than to say that the regulatory hurdles were substantial, beyond what Diamond or Garmin have to do to get an upgrade on an STC approved - took the better part of a year. Heck, Garmin has certificated auto-landing autopilots that can be retrofitted into King Airs ... just imagine what that took to persuade the FAA. By comparison, a G1000 NXi upgrade is virtually nothing.

There really can be little doubt that manufacturer here has simply walked away from their existing customers. I won't buy another Diamond, but I would consider another manufacturer who has maintained their relationship with their existing customers. As mentioned above, though, I have gone to something a bit closer (to a farm field!) - an XCub (NXCub). And the helicopters are certainly enjoyable.
DAI’s decision to not develop simple NXi upgrade route is probably related to avoiding sales competition between factory new aircrafts and the upgraded ones. Upgrading let’s say DA42 TDI to full DA42-VI and then selling it isn’t profitable - you can probably sell it for just a bit more than investing to upgrade. IMHO TDI with CD-155 engines and NXi avionics would be serious competition to -VI especially in light of DAI’s changing engine policy from TBO to TBR. AE300 and CD-155 are equally priced, almost equal max continuous power (AE300 is bit better at higher altitudes due to higher critical altitude of turbo) and CD-155 is 2100 hours TBR while AE300 is 1800. Handling of TDI is simply better, lower stall speeds better M&B, although a bit lower payload due to -VI improvements.
VickersPilot
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N00TBC
Airports:

Re: G1000 dead end (split from G1000 NXi Phase III)

Post by VickersPilot »

Answer: Dynon

The community need to bypass DAI/Garmin and work with Dynon to certify the aircraft with their avionics. Just like Blackhawk do with KingAir upgrades.

Simple maths: if Dynon get enough inquiries and at some point need extra sales, they have the ability to deliver what the community want.
waynemcc999
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Wayne
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N211WP
Airports: KSBA

Post by waynemcc999 »

I've flown ~40 hours behind a G3X/GTN/GFC500/G3X panel (Sling TSi)... the G3Xs are Touch each with very flexible options for split screen. A FAR superior panel to either G1000 or G1000 NXi!
If available via STC I'd upgrade a G1000 panel posthaste to the G3X-Touch.
Wayne
Wayne McClelland
PPL/IR, 2008 Diamond Star DA40-XLS 40.922, KSBA
Photo logs of PilotsNPaws | Flying Doctors | Angel Flight | YouTube @GeezerGeekPilot
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

The G3X and all associated dependencies are approved for the DA-40. Unfortunately there is not a certified autopilot compatible with the G3X that is approved for the DA-40. And I'd really prefer not to rip out my GFC700, which is otherwise great. The GFC700 is not compatible with the G3X. This would be my preferred route if NXi is not made available, so long as the autopilot situation is worked out.

Fortunately this is not an immediate issue, as Garmin still maintains they will support the legacy G1000 for some time. But the day will come. The GIA63W is still used in NXi installations, but the PFD/MFD is a different model and the buttons / knobs tend to fail on those and would be more likely to go out of support sooner.
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

VickersPilot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:10 am Answer: Dynon

The community need to bypass DAI/Garmin and work with Dynon to certify the aircraft with their avionics. Just like Blackhawk do with KingAir upgrades.

Simple maths: if Dynon get enough inquiries and at some point need extra sales, they have the ability to deliver what the community want.
This has been tried and rejected by Dynon. I suspect they have all the business they can handle with the E-AB market and their Cessna models.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
ememic99
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Emir
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: SEMAD
Airports: LDZA LDVA

Post by ememic99 »

VickersPilot wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:10 am Answer: Dynon

The community need to bypass DAI/Garmin and work with Dynon to certify the aircraft with their avionics.
We’ve already tried that, had some meetings with Dynon few years ago but they were not capable to deliver solution.
gregp
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
First Name: Greg
Aircraft Registration: N20HJ
Airports: S43 KPAE

Post by gregp »

mhoran wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:22 pm The G3X and all associated dependencies are approved for the DA-40. Unfortunately there is not a certified autopilot compatible with the G3X that is approved for the DA-40. And I'd really prefer not to rip out my GFC700, which is otherwise great. The GFC700 is not compatible with the G3X. This would be my preferred route if NXi is not made available, so long as the autopilot situation is worked out.

Fortunately this is not an immediate issue, as Garmin still maintains they will support the legacy G1000 for some time. But the day will come. The GIA63W is still used in NXi installations, but the PFD/MFD is a different model and the buttons / knobs tend to fail on those and would be more likely to go out of support sooner.
Also unfortunately, the G3X AML for the DA-40 also has an explicit limitation:
(2) Excluding aircraft equipped with Garmin G1000

If I take it out, is it still equipped? ;)
francismolloy
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
First Name: Francis
Aircraft Type: DA20-C1
Aircraft Registration: N966CT
Airports: 57AZ

Post by francismolloy »

Follow the money folks,
There hasn’t been any incentive for Diamond to work these issues with them selling all factory slots until now. Also there are currently 15 NG’s for sale in the 600k range on the used market.
The market is falling very fast, I sold my 2007 because the path to waas and NXI was unavailable
You just can’t have it al these days unless you go with Exp, cirrus was passed $1m mark with a continental and Diamond with no support.
So I’m headed for the carbon cub 916 fadec , g3x, g500 AP.
Changing my mission until the market changes, but the market can remain irrational for a very long time.
What a world we live in.
Boatguy
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Russ
Aircraft Type: DA62
Aircraft Registration: N962M
Airports: KSTS

Post by Boatguy »

gregp wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:23 am Also unfortunately, the G3X AML for the DA-40 also has an explicit limitation:
(2) Excluding aircraft equipped with Garmin G1000

If I take it out, is it still equipped? ;)
I think the bogey man there is that "equipped with" really means" "certified with".

Diamond and Garmin want to consign an airframe with a 75-100yr life to the scrap heap after 20yrs. If some avionics shop will sign off that you are airworthy, then go for it!