G1000 Components under back luggage compartment.

Any DA40 related topics

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

Don
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Don
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N623DS
Airports: KTOA

Re: G1000 Components under back luggage compartment.

Post by Don »

mhoran wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:20 pm Cleaning the contacts certainly won't hurt anything, but this does sound more and more like an issue with the PFD; seeming a processing delay of some sort. I've seen some similar gremlins with ours and replacement was the only resolution. But hopefully your experience will be different.
We just finished up with annual yesterday. While the aft compartment was open, I pulled the #1 63/63W component box out and cleaned both the male and female pens with electronic contact spray cleaner. The #1 box controls the PFD. No luck as the problem still exist. That said, when replacing a PFD, does anyone know if the Garmin operating system needs to be completely reprogramed after switching out the PFD with a replacement?
Last edited by Don on Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diamond Star XLS, N623DS, SN40.1076
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Yes, it does. When they swapped my MFD it also reset the tach time. We never figured out why. So you might want to specify that you'd like to preserve the time if possible. Not sure if Garmin needs to do something.
Tim H
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Tim
Aircraft Registration: N233MA
Airports: KMGY

Post by Tim H »

mhoran wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:24 pm Yes, it does. When they swapped my MFD it also reset the tach time. We never figured out why. So you might want to specify that you'd like to preserve the time if possible. Not sure if Garmin needs to do something.
I've had both the MFD and PFD replaced and I honestly don't recall if the system has to be reprogrammed.

HOWEVER, when the PFD was replaced by the previous owner, the tach time was reset to zero. Garmin would only allow the factory to correct the tach time. I had to fly to London to get it corrected by Diamond. (This policy may have changed.)

I did not have this issue when the MFD was replaced.

Be sure you take it to a REPUTABLE shop to have it replaced. (There is a thread on this subject.)
mhoran
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Matt
Aircraft Registration: N269RB
Airports: KLDJ

Post by mhoran »

Any LRU exchange (except the magnetometer) requires reloading the software. There are many many different versions of software out there and a replacement LRU won't come with the appropriate software. It's not a huge deal but does take a while and can be messed up.

I've never been able to get the tach time fixed and have given up at this point. My hobbs meter was replaced as well, so it doesn't really matter. But since you can prevent it from happening, it's worth trying.