G1000 NXi Differences

The ramblings of our community of aviators.

Moderators: Rick, Lance Murray

CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Type: OTHER
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

G1000 NXi Differences

Post by CFIDave »

Now that I've had my new plane for a week, I thought it might be appropriate to share a comparison of the new G1000 NXi panel with the "legacy" G1000 I had in my DA42 and DA40. Since the original G1000 was introduced in 2004, it shouldn't be too surprising that Garmin was able to significantly upgrade the hardware 13 years later with much faster processors and far more memory. The previous G1000 hardware maxed out at GDU Version 15 software, while the new G1000 NXi included with DA62/42/40 aircraft is starting with GDU Version 20 software.

Database Management
Legacy G1000: All databases (except NavData) are stored and accessed on two SD cards in the bottom G1000 PFD and MFD slots; NavData is loaded into top slots for storage in internal memory, usually from a 3rd SD card.
G1000 NXi: All active databases reside in the G1000 NXi's very large internal memory. Consequently to update any of the NXi databases, you use your PC/Mac to download all databases to just a single 32 GB SD card, and insert it into the bottom MFD slot. When you boot the system, current databases are read from the card into internal memory of both PFD and MFD via a synchronization process, but don't take effect until you boot the system a 2nd time. At that point you can remove the SD card completely because it's not used by the system.
(At some point I might substitute a $1500 FlightStream 510 card for the 32 GB SD card, thus wirelessly synching the MFD and PFD internal memory databases with new databases on an iPad, but this requires Garmin Pilot on the iPad; I'm still using Foreflight.)

New Functionality
In general, NXi provides a superset of previous G1000 functionality; the "buttonology" is pretty much the same.

- VFR Charts (shown below), IFR low charts, and IFR high charts are now included with the Garmin OnePak subscription bundle; these can be displayed on the MFD, overlaid with magenta course, traffic, etc. (just like Foreflight or Garmin Pilot). This makes use of an iPad less necessary. I took this shot from the ground with the plane sitting in the hangar; note that red Xs (since the engines aren't running) are now yellow Xs on the G1000 NXi.
I found out the hard way that if you load Canadian charts right after the US charts, it wipes out the US charts; apparently you can only load one country's charts at a time. I guess this makes sense since different countries have different native chart formats, and thus they wouldn't blend very well at the border.
- Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP) is included with Diamond NXi implementations. This also permits flying coupled missed approaches (i.e., the autopilot doesn't go into suspend mode at the MAP). Note that ESP could be implemented (requires a software unlock card) with legacy G1000s, but requires GSM 86 (instead of GSM 85) servo mounts -- generally included in 2013+ DA40/DA42/DA62 aircraft.
- The PFD inset map can now be placed inside the circular HSI.
- When you tune a radio frequency, the name of the tower, CTAF airport, approach, ATIS, ARTCC, etc. is shown (which helps keep you from calling the wrong frequency)
- A new Vertical Situation Display on the bottom 1/3 of the MFD shows winds aloft and terrain below as before, but now also includes your instrument approach in profile view.
- When you load a flight plan, it's now very clearly separated into Departure Airport (with runway!), Enroute waypoints, and Arrival Airport (with runway).
- When flight plans are displayed on the MFD, the instrument approach plan view includes waypoint/fix crossing altitudes on the map.
- And lots of other small improvements I can't remember.

For the DA42 and DA62 twins:
- A full-page MFD "Engine" page for the first time (just like the DA40) shows all the engine gauges, systems, TKS fluid levels, fuel tanks, etc. on a single page instead of only on the left side of the MFD.
- Fuel gauges for the Auxiliary Tanks! For the first time in Diamond twins, you can know how much fuel is in the Aux tanks located in the rear of the engine nacelles.

What's Missing
By browsing the G1000 NXi manuals for other aircraft (e.g., Cessnas, Beechcraft, Cirrus, Piper), you can see what Diamond chose to leave out of its NXi software:
- No "Visual Approach" loading (new feature that synthesizes 3 degree visual approaches even for runways that have no published instrument approaches)
- No "Surface Watch" that provides your taxiway or runway position, how many feet are left during takeoff or landing, if you're landing on the wrong runway, etc.
- No electronic Checklists for the DA62 (this softkey is present but grayed out). I tried loading a chklist.ace file for the DA42 NG on the SD card, but it wasn't recognized by the G1000 NXi.
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Re: G1000 NXi Differences

Post by Rich »

Did I understand correctly? You can't have Canadian and US charts loaded simultaneously? I know that'd be a pretty large omission, especially for those of us who live near the border or plan to, for example, cross the border from one country to the other?
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
CFIDave
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dave
Aircraft Registration: N333GX
Airports: KJYO Leesburg VA

Post by CFIDave »

Rich wrote:Did I understand correctly? You can't have Canadian and US charts loaded simultaneously?
Yes, only one country at a time for these IFR/VFR raster image charts that are new to NXi. In contrast, object-oriented NavData shows all of North America maps seamlessly (as was always the case with legacy G1000s).

I'm wondering if Garmin Pilot on the iPad (which uses the same files from Garmin) has the same restriction on displaying IFR/VFR charts...
Epic Aircraft E1000 GX
Former DA40XLS, DA42-VI, and DA62 owner
ATP, CFI, CFI-I, MEI
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

I know from experience that Foreflight handles the two countries' charts together seamlessly.
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: David
Aircraft Type: DA42-VI
Aircraft Registration: VHYDZ
Airports: YMMB

Post by dselder1962 »

Dave, thanks for the write up. My 42VI will have NXi.
Was any reason given by Diamond as to why the visual approaches and Surface watch are not in this release, as it does appear they are in the King Air and Cirrus versions?
I was very surprised that the electronic checklists weren't available. Surely this is a safety issue?
Cheers
David
Colin
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Colin
Aircraft Type: DA42
Aircraft Registration: N972RD
Airports: KFHR

Post by Colin »

I wonder if Garmin charges per feature. Missing those two is a real mistake.
Colin Summers, PP Multi-Engine IFR, ~3,000hrs
colin@mightycheese.com * send email rather than PM
http://www.flyingsummers.com
N972RD DA42 G1000 2.0 s/n 42.AC100 (sold!)
N971RD DA40 G1000 s/n 40.508 (traded)
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dselder1962 »

Knowing Garmin, and how they charge for everything, this wouldn't surprise me, but I agree these are the biggest leap forward from G1000 and a mistake to leave them out. I have emailed my sales guy to ask if they are available. I'll let you know what he says.
David
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

I've been flying a Piper M600 recently that has a G3000. Most of the features you mention are on the G3000 as well. SurfaceWatch is nice but really not that much better than SafeTaxi. Visual approached however are awesome in certain situations and so that's the one I'd push Diamond on first. Congrats on the new plane! I'm a huge fan of the 62.
Paul
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Paul
Aircraft Registration: 600MU
Airports: KOGD

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote:I've been flying a Piper M600 recently that has a G3000. Most of the features you mention are on the G3000 as well. SurfaceWatch is nice but really not that much better than SafeTaxi. Visual approached however are awesome in certain situations and so that's the one I'd push Diamond on first. Congrats on the new plane! I'm a huge fan of the 62.
Approaches. I meant the visual approach feature.
dselder1962
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member

Post by dselder1962 »

In the Garmin Pilot Guide for NXi on page 206 a visual approach "visual 13" seems to be one of the options:
approach screenshot.png
David