DA40KPAO
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
FIRST NAME: Victor
Aircraft: DA40
Airport: KPAO

New Diamond DA40 Owner

Postby DA40KPAO » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm

After a few weeks of very stressful negotiation, investigation, expensive repairs, etc. I am a first time aircraft owner and bought a 2007 DA40. It's still nerve wrecking having to spend so much on an airplane. She'll be placed at a flight club in Palo Alto.

The routing we flew was much longer than we wanted due to weather and terrain. Departed Salt Lake City with a stop in Las Vegas and finally arriving Palo Alto. We had strong wind (20 to 30 kts) for most of the way which made the trip slower than we'd like.

Excited to have another DA40 in Palo Alto, I think these are one of the best multi-purpose planes in the market.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Sara
Airport: S43

Re: New Diamond DA40 Owner

Postby BlueYonder » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 pm

Welcome to the club! I bought my 2007 (40.838) almost exactly a year ago, and flew her home from suburban Memphis to Seattle a year ago next week. It was a terrific adventure, though those headwinds going east to west did make for slow going.

She's still a joy to fly, though she's spent an annoying amount of this first year in the shop for one thing and another.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
DA40KPAO
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Postby DA40KPAO » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:23 pm

BlueYonder wrote:Welcome to the club! I bought my 2007 (40.838) almost exactly a year ago, and flew her home from suburban Memphis to Seattle a year ago next week. It was a terrific adventure, though those headwinds going east to west did make for slow going.

She's still a joy to fly, though she's spent an annoying amount of this first year in the shop for one thing and another.

After the purchase, we did an annual and had to fix quite a few items that weren't caught as part of the pre-buy. Hopefully she'll not need a lot of work going forward.
BlueYonder
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Sara
Airport: S43

Postby BlueYonder » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm told that these first-year repair flurries are pretty typical. Often, planes are sold after they've been sitting a while (though not in my case), or because the owner can't really afford steady upkeep. Even a little bit of this will result in a raft of repairs for the new owner.

There's also the fact that our 2007s are now a decade old, and stuff's just plain starting to wear out. A lot of my issues this year have come out of this bucket -- even though the plane only has about 900 hours on it. It was still running on the original battery, for example. One of the fuel senders died. The magnetos were due for a rebuild (which caused follow-on problems for the next few months). There was a cracked exhaust collector that had to be replaced. None of this stuff was caught in the pre-buy; more of it arose in the annual I had done four months later. More recently, there are glitches in the Garmin; finding a shop that was competent to cope with those has taken much of this year, but they're on track to getting fixed now.

Ah, the joys of ownership. They're not unlike the joys of parenthood: it requires a lot of work and an endless supply of patience, and the things that can go wrong will never cease to astonish you. But when it all goes right, there's absolutely nothing on earth like it, and you remember all over again why you put up with the hard parts.
The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight, urging the spirit of a machine to match his own. -- Richard Bach
avalys
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member
FIRST NAME: Alex
Airport: KCOS

Postby avalys » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:03 am

Excellent! I've been flying the two DA40's at WVFC at KPAO. I assume this will be the third, or is it going to the other club?
DA40KPAO
1 Diamond Member
1 Diamond Member

Postby DA40KPAO » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 am

avalys wrote:Excellent! I've been flying the two DA40's at WVFC at KPAO. I assume this will be the third, or is it going to the other club?

This is going to Advantage Aviation as their 3rd ;)
gordsh
2 Diamonds Member
2 Diamonds Member
FIRST NAME: Shawn
Airport: CZBA

Postby gordsh » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Congrats Victor, always happy to hear of new DA40 acquisitions.