5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rick
Aircraft Type: DA40
Aircraft Registration: NONE
Airports: KROA

Re: Seat cushion options

Post by Rick »

I had been using seat cushions in my previous DA40, but my current DA40 had the sheepskin seat covers in the front when I bought it. As an experiment, I bought some 3" memory foam and cut pads to fit under the sheepskin, both under the seat and in the back, and this is what I have been using for almost 10 years now. It's perfect for both my wife and I (we're both 5'8"), but I do occasionally need to pull the pad out from under the pax seat if I have a tall passenger.
Roanoke, VA (KROA)
Rich
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Rich
Aircraft Registration: N40XE
Airports: S39 Prineville OR

Post by Rich »

There's a bit of a challenge posed by use of Oregon Aero cushions. When installed they sit perfectly without interfering with either stick. But the inner edge is right against the center console. The challenge is what to do with the control boxes for the ANR headsets. The new, thicker passenger side was a particular problem as it rises well above the edge of the console. The boxes are inherently unruly anyway, as they are wont to slide around and even get in the way of fastening the seatbelts. I rigged up velcro mounts for both sides. These interim mounts are fashioned from plastic gallon containers such as used for milk or water. There is still adequate room between our actual legs and the control boxes. This kludge just keeps them from any potential interference with any of the items on the console..
N40XE OA cushions.jpg
2002 DA40-180: MT, PowerFlow, 530W/430W, KAP140, ext. baggage, 1090 ES out, 2646 MTOW, 40gal., Surefly, Flightstream 210, Orion 600 LED, XeVision, Aspen E5
jwx96
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: John
Aircraft Registration: N193JP
Airports: KFCM

Post by jwx96 »

I have the 1/2 inch OA cushions and the Diamond sheepskin covers. They came with my plane from the previous owners. I'm 6'3" so I didn't think I could use the cushions, but then I felt the need for greater comfort on longer flights and tried them. To my surprise my head doesn't hit the canopy and I can sit there forever without any discomfort. These are obviously older cushions but they seem to have held up well. I imagine that the ticker cushions would be luxurious.
dant
4 Diamonds Member
4 Diamonds Member
First Name: Dan
Aircraft Registration: N787DM
Airports: KPAE

Post by dant »

Resurrecting this thread... do any of the mentioned cushions address the angle of the seat base? The cushions I've seen mentioned seem like they would make things softer/higher/better lumbar support, but I'm specifically looking for filling out the "hole" so that the angle formed between the legs and torso isn't so acute as it's causing some SI band pain for a passenger. Currently solving this by sitting on a jacket. :)

edit: this is specifically for the _back_ seats.

edit2: for the da40 xls. :)
Chris B
5 Diamonds Member
5 Diamonds Member
First Name: Chris
Aircraft Registration: N171CB
Airports: KRHV

Post by Chris B »

dant wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:33 pm Resurrecting this thread... do any of the mentioned cushions address the angle of the seat base? The cushions I've seen mentioned seem like they would make things softer/higher/better lumbar support, but I'm specifically looking for filling out the "hole" so that the angle formed between the legs and torso isn't so acute as it's causing some SI band pain for a passenger. Currently solving this by sitting on a jacket. :)

edit: this is specifically for the _back_ seats.

edit2: for the da40 xls. :)
I suggest that you contact Oregon Aero directly (800-888-6910). Their customer service is excellent and I expect that they will help you find alternatives. They might be able to supply you with an appropriate wedge, or possibly customize a cushion.

Alternatively, the lumbar support on the Oregon Aero cushions is easily removed. One possible fix could be to use an additional lumbar support under the aft end of a cushion.

Chris
firedwg1
3 Diamonds Member
3 Diamonds Member
First Name: josh
Aircraft Registration: DA40XLS
Airports: KSNA

Post by firedwg1 »

how close is your head to the top of the interior when using them?